Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you obsessed with your overall energy usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot fathom why you'd spend all this money to buy a high performance car with negligible fuel costs, and then drive it like a monk just to save an irrelevantly small amount of money and avoid making use of the performance you paid so much for.

@mgboyes, point well taken! My "practical" nature almost stopped me from buying the car, but it was also the reason why I was actually able to aford it. I don't let it stop me from enjoying and taking advantage of the performance, and I "launch" at almost every opportunity I get. However, I also take advantage of the regen as much as I can, because using the brake has become abhorrent to me since getting this amazing car. BTW, I don't get that many chances to push it, living on an island where the legal speed limit is almost entirely 45 mph.

Last edited:
I cannot fathom why you'd spend all this money to buy a high performance car with negligible fuel costs, and then drive it like a monk just to save an irrelevantly small amount of money and avoid making use of the performance you paid so much for.

Well for me performance was 3 on my list.

1. Higher range than any other car like bmw or Nissan

2. Technology car

3. Performance

I hypermile because,

1. Habit
2. Less energy I use, the better it is, irrespective of costs. Why be wasteful?
3. It's also good for the car if you don't abuse it. Brakes will last longer, and I suspect other parts will too.
4. A predictable car on the road is far safer than someone who does jackrabbit starts and brakes hard and changes lanes all the time.
5. I'd rather be the slowpoke that annoys everyone, than the stressed out teenager annoyed at slowpokes like me.

That said, I use the performance when I need it, like merging on a freeway or quickly changing lanes when I'm behind an even bigger slowpoke than I am.

I don't obsess, but I do look with curiosity every day. I have a lifetime avg of 337/mi after 14K mi. I am always flummoxed by those with a P85 getting in the 200's. There is no way I will ever get that low. But I drive her like any other car: AC on, good acceleration, etc. But 99% of the time I have no issues with range.

How are you guys doing that, especially those not in a flat area? I drive mountains every day.

The PD fixed me of caring. With the reduction in efficiency, I found it best for my sanity to simply take the statistics off the dash. It really did not seem to change my consumption much but my mental health has improved dramatically and I am enjoying the car more. It just took me three years to do it.

Not all that much. At 55K, the lifetime average is 249 Wh/mi. it dipped down briefly to 248 at the beginning of the trip to the Seattle area, but the average for that trip was 253, so it climbed back up to 249.