Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you planning to own post-warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless some newer, hardware-driven, must-have technologies come along that my MY can't get (via OTA), I'll be keeping it past warranty. If the first 12 months is any indication, this car will be a pleasure to own for a long time. I'm prepared to pay for battery replacement post-warranty if the rest of the car is in good condition for another 100K miles.

One thing I don't know and haven't read about, is whether the existing battery pack structure for 2170-based models can be upgraded to 4680 and beyond when the time comes. Say in 8 years when I need to replace the battery and all new Teslas are on 4680, does my 2170 MY get the new battery?
I would doubt that the structural pack or newer batteries could ever be used in the older cars. They would have to design something specifically for that to happen. You never know though they may not want to deal with the 2170's at some point and it may may sense to design a new pack for replacement only.

We were planning on keeping past warranty as our original '18 had zero issues. Market for used cars made us sell and pick up another in January. Probably flipping again that car in a week for another 3 and making 4k.

I wouldn't have a big worry keeping these cars long term. I think the Model 3 is pretty sorted at this point and if a component will have an issue it will do so doing warranty time. The biggest worry though would be the heat pump. That alone could be reason for purchasing an extended warranty. Guess we'll cross that bridge when relevant.

Reactions: KJD
I would doubt that the structural pack or newer batteries could ever be used in the older cars. They would have to design something specifically for that to happen. You never know though they may not want to deal with the 2170's at some point and it may may sense to design a new pack for replacement only.
It would be stupid to assume that Tesla, or any other EV automaker, hasn't thought about this scenario, so I'm sure there is a plan. 8 years/100,000 miles is a long time compared to battery innovation. It will almost always be the case for any owner that by the time a battery replacement is needed, the older technology was long "obsolete". It's true that Tesla can just keep making 2170s for repairs for as long as there are older models with it, but I'm hoping their strategy is the other way - make an "adapter" so newer battery can fit in older models. Wishful thinking, I know.

It would be stupid to assume that Tesla, or any other EV automaker, hasn't thought about this scenario, so I'm sure there is a plan. 8 years/100,000 miles is a long time compared to battery innovation. It will almost always be the case for any owner that by the time a battery replacement is needed, the older technology was long "obsolete". It's true that Tesla can just keep making 2170s for repairs for as long as there are older models with it, but I'm hoping their strategy is the other way - make an "adapter" so newer battery can fit in older models. Wishful thinking, I know.
My thinking is that battery manufacturers would be eager to continue producing 2170's for replacement packs for a long time since Tesla is starting to make their own. And Tesla wouldn't waste their time designing something specifically for a service part. You have to admit service isn't on the top of this list of priorities.

Jinxed thread! I just said I was planning on keeping my car forever... then yesterday somehow swerved off the road on a curve and struck a fire hydrant. No idea what happened; 35 mph road that I've driven home from work literally thousands of times.

smashed the passenger headlight and destroyed the wheel/control arm/etc. I hope the frame/battery isn't damaged and that the car is repairable so I can continue my goal to drive it forever.

I knew resale was high on this car, but similar cars to mine (2018 LR RWD, 52k miles) are selling for more than I paid for my car 4 years ago after the tax credit. That's crazy.

Prolly not going to keep mine out of warranty, but not because I worry about failures.

I'll just want something new by then.
or how i would phrase it... if my Tesla should occur more than $3,500 (!) in repairs (not powertrain/ battery related) once the 4yr bumper-bumper is over... it would certainly be my last Tesla. The buy in price for extended warranties is typically set so high that it is very very unlikely they'll ever pay out more than you paid in. and if $1k to $2k in spontaneous repair bills put you financially in a pickle... maybe you shouldn't be driving a $45k+ vehicle...

Reactions: danarcha
Was Autopilot turned on?

If it was, any and all discussion on that specific issue will be moved out of this thread into its own thread, and then re located to the autopilot subforum. If the poster you quoted is interested in that discussion, they can start a new thread on it in the autopilot subforum.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and Tam
In the past I always rolled the dice since, as a gearhead, I could handle most repairs myself (my old BMW M5 was like getting a car and car-repair hobby all-in-one).

Unfortunately, with Teslas and, I suspect, most EVs these days, anything not common (like brakes/suspension/etc.) really requires the manufacturer (or dealer for other manufacturers) address the problem, so "DIY" is a lot less viable.
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but Tesla recently opened up *all* of the service documentation to owners, for free.

Bah... I'm not on the computer that has a bookmark to the site. Let me look around for a bit, and I'll get you a linky.

Edit: Here it is: Tesla Service

It'll be added to your Tesla account page.

I've spent some time looking through the documentation, and it is *extremely* thorough. It is exactly the same stuff that "Tesla Authorized Repair Facilities" use.

To answer the OP's original question...

I hadn't intended to keep my car after the warranty expires, but my car ended up being a "unicorn" that can't be replaced by a new Tesla. Since I'm a bit of a shade tree mechanic and the fact that I now have access to all of the repair/service documentation, I've decided to keep the car.

Personally, I've never been able to find a third party "extended warranty" worth the price of admission.

I have to own post warranty...extended warranties are a rip. If they were a good deal for the owner they wouldn't do them. Same as Vegas...if the gambler was winning the hotels wouldn't be that nice.

Put the money away for a repair....if you don't use it its yours. Those prices....LOL and I bet some are buying 3rd party warranties b/c they are cheaper...good luck!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: danarcha and Phlier
I will own mine post warranty. I have 46k miles right now. The thought has crossed my mind to get a Model Y Performance but after test driving, i feel i need more of a change to happen before I replace this car, like true range of 350 miles or so. I also have EAP and radar as well as homelink and my autopilot doesnt suffer from any issues like people report on these forums. Mine constantly takes me from San Diego to Las Vegas with no issues. Still on original tires and looks like i will get 50k out of them.

Reactions: Aellinsar
I have to own post warranty...extended warranties are a rip. If they were a good deal for the owner they wouldn't do them. Same as Vegas...if the gambler was winning the hotels wouldn't be that nice.

Put the money away for a repair....if you don't use it its yours. Those prices....LOL and I bet some are buying 3rd party warranties b/c they are cheaper...good luck!

Right on.

I decided not to go into full rant mode in my earlier post, where I just breezed over my thoughts on third party extended warranties, but now you've primed my pump. :D

/rantmode

Third party extended warranties of all flavors (not just cars, but on consumer goods) are nothing more than a way to squeeze more profit out of the sale of the item in question.

If you read the small print (all four thousand pages of it), every one of these extended warranties have lists of repairs that are *not* covered by the warranty. Why? Because they have statisticians who's job is to determine what the most likely things are to go wrong. They then give that list to the underwriters, then the underwriters put it in the small print that those repairs are *not* covered.

They also make the claim procedure so unwieldy and lengthy that many people simply give up on trying to get a claim processed. My best friend waited six weeks to get an authorization done on his car, and ended up having to get an attorney involved in order to get his auto repair claim through his extended warranty.

There's a good reason why the majority of the spam calls you guys get right now are people hawking extended vehicle warranties; they are nothing more than a legal scam.

Don't fall for *any* extended warranty on *anything* that you buy. Ever. As BMWM3Man said, put some money away if you think it'll ever need to be repaired.

IMO, you're even better off putting a repair on a high interest credit card and making monthly payments than any extended warranty out there.

/rantmode

Last edited: