TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are you planning to "TV” (VS RV) ACROSS THE COUNTRY?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by joefee, Dec 9, 2013.

1. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

DO YOU PLAN TO “TV” (VS RV) ACROSS THE COUNTRY when the east/west supercharger routes open? I can’t wait! :smile:That is the second reason I bought the MS (#1 was no foreign oil). Let’s post our experience/pics/lessons learned here!

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Absolutely. My wife and I are currently planning on going cross-country in September; though plans may change based on Supercharger availability.

We've already taken a few Supercharger trips. The stops work out perfect for my wife's tea breaks. L2 trips work if you really don't want to use gas; but you spend as much time charging as driving. With Superchargers, you only spend about 1/4 of your time charging. That's not the fastest possible trip; but it is just about right for a comfortable trip with meals, bio breaks, checking messages, chances to walk around, etc.

And you don't have to worry about access cards, payment, etc. I know we paid for it up-front so it's not "free" (though in a way it is for me - I agreed to buy my car before I knew Supercharging would be free) but this is still a great model. Tesla is really doing a good job of thinking through the user experience.

3. voidptr

voidptr Member

Probably not the first pass, but once they've got the I-40 corridor open as well, I imagine I'll have a road trip or two.

4. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

#4 Jason S, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Talked to a guy who did Sacramento to Boston (and back) on the evening before he did it. That was ... 9 months ago? He'd done the same trip in his Roadster.

His secret weapon: a modified Roadster charger (Clipper Creak, iirc) that could take 2x 40A circuits and make 60A (or so; this was for RV park charging). Also had good choices in hotels.

I don't know the details. Was a brief and fascinating chat tho.

5. Ames

Ames Member

Count me in, I will either buy a 2nd hand one (and later ship it home) or just rent a TMS and have a blast.

Maybe the rental companies will do a deal; "Rent a TMS for a week, air mattress and any-state-drop-off in included".

6. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

Probably.

Getting along in years and when we decided to go totally electric, figured we would never again embark on long road trips. Superchargers certainly have changed that thinking - it will be an adventure. Maybe not coast to coast, but Pittsburgh at least.

And, similar to ChadS, Superchargers are sort of free in that they were not around when we configured. An unexpected bonus.

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Definitely! I already have my Trip to Texas planned out, though, as their are no SC's for 3/4th of the route, but plenty of CHAdeMO's, I am impatiently awaiting the CHAdeMO adapter.

8. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

It won't be viable from upstate NY for another three or four years -- if ever.