Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you right for FSD Beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD Beta is remarkable, but I'm afraid that it requires a far greater attention to driving than what people are going to give it. Having been a software developer for decades, I have beta tested pretty much every OS from Windows95 to IOS15. Aside from needing to test it for work purposes, there was always a fascination at seeing where the next iteration of software was going. Being beta software, I always had a second computer or device where the beta resided, because most times that beta software WAS NOT ready for everyday use and quite often rendered a device useless.

I say this because after driving FSD Beta for a few weeks, I'm finding the same glitches and issues that I have in every piece of beta software I've tested. The difference is, this is the only beta test I've participated in where someone could get physically injured, if not more.

If you applied for the beta, if you have the beta, or if you're considering applying for the beta, be aware that using it, especially in traffic or with other cars around, is dangerous. If you're the type that understands that and will use FSD and be ready to brake or grab the steering wheel in a millisecond, then by all means you're the people Tesla needs. If, however, you're desperately wanting FSD in the same manner which you want the newest piece of tech; or if you're thinking of the YouTube videos you can make with FSD beta, then I strongly recommend you reconsider. If completely changing your driving style in order to "game" the safety score and get FSD was aggravating for you, then I strongly suggest you reconsider FSD Beta.

Having driven with FSD Beta now for a few weeks, I can say that it's incredibly impressive, but nowhere near ready to be autonomous driving. I've found that I am constantly disengaging and re-engaging. There are also times where FSD just disengages itself, particularly on one set of turns near my house where it is going the speed limit and then disengages at the apex of a 90 degree turn. Left or right turns often require intervention as the car creeps out and stops, creeps out and stops - when no cars are coming. That stopping has almost caused a few vehicles behind to rear end.

What I'm saying is simply this: If you have FSD, just remember that it truly will do the wrong thing at the worst possible time. That's not just a disclaimer. Be alert, be ready to correct.

Ok, Dad warning done.
Well said!

I think the mistake was referring to it as FSD beta. Tesla owners are desensitized to the term beta because so many features are still referred to as beta, heck the auto wipers are still beta. The beta features in the car are close to being release candidates, while Nav on City Streets is closer to alpha. So many people want it because they think it's the FSD they paid for years ago. More people might be cautious if it were called 'FSD beta that will crash your car if you don't watch it like a hawk and you're at fault.' All it's going to take is a few inattentive drivers and some bad luck and the press and public outcry might set FSD back years.
That's it exactly. If Tesla kept calling it City Streets, it would not have brought the anger that people have over not getting FSD.

No one was angry when they were not a beta tester for Traffic Lights or Street Signs.