Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you running Falken Azenis tires? (Warning)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
FE52AE9A-57A9-4711-AEA8-836DF4B8FDCC.jpeg

Got a nail in my front tire, once the shop took the wheel off they found a crack in the tire
I don’t recall hitting any potholes
Tires are 10 months old with 6/32 tread remaining

Decided to go back to Michelin’s, although this may have nothing to do with falkens quality, I don’t feel comfortable enough running them

• Helpful
Reactions: IsthataTesl.a?
How did you find out about the nail? TPMS warning? How low was the pressure? With such a low profile on 21s it's not going to take much in an underpressure situation to fold the sidewall in a minor pothole.

But then again, it could be a mfg defect but probably not a class issue or there would be a recall.

I’m on my second set of the FK510s. No issues. Probably just a one-off occurrence that can happen with any tire (defect or actual pothole or...) so I wouldn’t attribute it to the brand or even tire line. You’ve already moved to Michelins so can’t go wrong there either.

Reactions: AMPd
How did you find out about the nail? TPMS warning? How low was the pressure? With such a low profile on 21s it's not going to take much in an underpressure situation to fold the sidewall in a minor pothole.

But then again, it could be a mfg defect but probably not a class issue or there would be a recall.
Yes TPMS
Warning came on showing 38psi
Next day down to 30
I checked and saw the nail, pumped the tire up and drove to the tire shop

I was considering these for a Model 3 Performance but will plan on getting the Pilot Sport 4S again instead. $1,000 or about $50 a month difference for four. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S has a 30,000 mile warranty too although I will be saving the 5/32" or so of what's left on the original tires for an upcoming TeslaCorsa event that is NOT cancelled.

View attachment 368366

Got a nail in my front tire, once the shop took the wheel off they found a crack in the tire
I don’t recall hitting any potholes
Tires are 10 months old with 6/32 tread remaining

Decided to go back to Michelin’s, although this may have nothing to do with falkens quality, I don’t feel comfortable enough running them
For anyone driving a Model 3 in a spirited manner, we now know tire inspection includes the inside and outside in addition to the entire tread section.

Reactions: SPACE_EX
I’m on my second set of the FK510s. No issues. Probably just a one-off occurrence that can happen with any tire (defect or actual pothole or...) so I wouldn’t attribute it to the brand or even tire line. You’ve already moved to Michelins so can’t go wrong there either.
I was thinking about the FK510s but that tyre place told me they aren’t any good for my Tesla Model 3P and I should get the original Michelin’s. I’m not sure if they just want to sell the expensive ones. The Falkend sound ok reading your post.

I was thinking about the FK510s but that tyre place told me they aren’t any good for my Tesla Model 3P and I should get the original Michelin’s. I’m not sure if they just want to sell the expensive ones. The Falkend sound ok reading your post.
Like I said… have had zero issues with them. Shops will push tires for various reasons, profit being one of them. Can’t go wrong with Michelins so really up to you.

Just thought I'd add my two cents on the Falken Azenis FK510. About 4000km ago I switched from the OE Continental DW's that were factory shod on my 21' Turbine wheels. I burned through two sets of those, and never really loved them. Decided to save some cash and the Falkens were the cheapest/best available (I tried finding some Toyo's but they were out of stock everywhere in Canada).

No regrets whatsoever. Great tire. As quiet as my DW's (maybe more-so). They balanced perfectly, according to shop that (somewhat) reluctantly sold them to me (I was warned about them being louder than the various other Continental and Michelin options available - they simply aren't). Much more grip in the wet on these, and when cornering at higher speeds, they are more predictable and accurate than the Continental DW's that I had (they would bite at a certain point).

Anyone considering them, don't hesitate.

As far as the crack in the above photo, ironically enough, the exact same thing happened to one of the Continental DW's that I pulled off the car. Probably hit a nasty pothole.

• Informative
you say the tires are 10 months old but they are also at 6/32 wear. which means you had them installed 10 months ago likely. please let me know how old the tire is.

I'm going to assume that you don't know how to tell that based on your assessment the tire is only as old as it was installed on. So if you do know please ignore and just post a pic if not here is a little learning for everyone. On the side of the tire there is a stamp with some letters and numbers, (not the tire size, smaller font like 1/2 of an inch high) the end of that will have 4 digits the first 2 of those is the week the tire was made and the last 2 are the year. so a code of 3821 would be the 38th week of 2021. Now you may notice your tire doesn't seem to have this code. its only printed on one side of the tire (usually the outside) but the whole DOT number before it is usually printed 2 times with only one of those having the date at the end. so the longer of them is the one with the date.

Also if a tire is relatively new it could've been stored improperly before being installed on your car which could lead to (obviously) premature breakage like what you show in the OP. If it is indeed a manufacture defect then id suggest reaching out to falken with the full DOT number and seeing if they have any other reports of that batch having problems. But it seems the likely culprit is you hitting a pothole or debris in the road and that caused a weak point and then either sun damage or just bad luck caused the crack that you show but it looks like road debris damage.

I've put over 140k miles on my car and I've gone through like 5 sets of falkan tires in that time with no issues. Pic off internet not mine, (its 105f outside i don't wanna go out there for a picture lol)

tire.jpg

you say the tires are 10 months old but they are also at 6/32 wear. which means you had them installed 10 months ago likely. please let me know how old the tire is.

I'm going to assume that you don't know how to tell that based on your assessment the tire is only as old as it was installed on. So if you do know please ignore and just post a pic if not here is a little learning for everyone. On the side of the tire there is a stamp with some letters and numbers, (not the tire size, smaller font like 1/2 of an inch high) the end of that will have 4 digits the first 2 of those is the week the tire was made and the last 2 are the year. so a code of 3821 would be the 38th week of 2021. Now you may notice your tire doesn't seem to have this code. its only printed on one side of the tire (usually the outside) but the whole DOT number before it is usually printed 2 times with only one of those having the date at the end. so the longer of them is the one with the date.

Also if a tire is relatively new it could've been stored improperly before being installed on your car which could lead to (obviously) premature breakage like what you show in the OP. If it is indeed a manufacture defect then id suggest reaching out to falken with the full DOT number and seeing if they have any other reports of that batch having problems. But it seems the likely culprit is you hitting a pothole or debris in the road and that caused a weak point and then either sun damage or just bad luck caused the crack that you show but it looks like road debris damage.

I've put over 140k miles on my car and I've gone through like 5 sets of falkan tires in that time with no issues. Pic off internet not mine, (its 105f outside i don't wanna go out there for a picture lol)

View attachment 816945
Which Tesla do you have?