Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you supposed to be able to access App before you get the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my delivery is coming up. I just downloaded the app. When I try to log into the App, it says I don't have anything assigned to me. I've got two orders already in, with one due for delivery tomorrow. Do they add my car to the app account when I take delivery?

You’ll be able to use the app shortly (minutes/hours not days) before your delivery appointment. This is one of the final steps completed before you show up. They don’t want you honking the horn repeatedly with the car sitting in the delivery center...

LOL that makes sense. I'm sure there are a bunch of us that live quite close to the delivery center. I can totally see people in the parking lot activating the horn trying to see which one is theirs.

You’ll be able to use the app shortly (minutes/hours not days) before your delivery appointment. This is one of the final steps completed before you show up. They don’t want you honking the horn repeatedly with the car sitting in the delivery center...
Other factors might include whether you have a balance due at delivery, and/or if your delivery appointment falls on a weekday. Mine was on a Sunday, and I recall it being the next day before I was able to log into the app.

Everyone is correct that your vehicle won’t show up on the App until time of delivery or shortly before. One thing that was a surprise to me is that around the 1st or 2nd day after delivery; the app wouldn’t work. I called Tesla support and they advised I should of been told at time of delivery there will be a several day period after delivery while Tesla changes over the App access between systems. During that time I had to use the keycard. So unless Tesla has changed that; just don’t be alarmed when the app goes silent for a few days.

I fired up the app today and it worked. Can't really do anything other than watch support videos for the M3, but at least I got excited for a minute. Edit button is still there and haven't been asked for trade details so it looks like they just updated the app.

My Model X showed up around 30 minutes before my appointment time when I took delivery

We were at the delivery for our Model X on time and have to wait in the lobby for a while. So I checked the app and no car assigned. During the delivery, after we signed the docs, I asked when will the car shows up on the app, she said to check now. I checked and it was there! I think someone at the delivery center has to flip a switch or something.

Need is correct. Your M3 is added to the app profile at delivery. Guess Tesla doesn’t want us to start remotely honking Horn or running a/c prior to delivery. Note that unless Tesl has changed things; tha M3 showing up in app at delivery is temporary. A day or two later in temporarily disappears; The is permanently added after Tesla does thei backoffice paperwork. For a few days you need to use the key card. Enjoy.