Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you with Musk or Hawking on AI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in case someone has missed this absolute gem of a movie:

http://www.herthemovie.com/
Her (2013) - IMDb

Like all sci-fi it's got some logical flaws here and there but the movie is really more about what it is to be alive, and individual, love, life etc. and deals with human-AI interaction. It's one of the best movies I've seen in the last few years. Also extremely beautiful visually - it seems Spike Lee tried to make every single scene in the movie the most beautiful scene he ever shot. Also Joaquin Phoenix doing stunning acting as always.

Her (2013) - IMDb

Like all sci-fi it's got some logical flaws here and there but the movie is really more about what it is to be alive, and individual, love, life etc. and deals with human-AI interaction. It's one of the best movies I've seen in the last few years. Also extremely beautiful visually - it seems Spike Lee tried to make every single scene in the movie the most beautiful scene he ever shot. Also Joaquin Phoenix doing stunning acting as always.

I loved this movie.

Her (2013) - IMDb

Spike Jonze, not Lee. I saw it on a plane on Monday, yes, it was very well done and thought provoking.

Her (2013) - IMDb

I ABSOLUTELY loved this film, though I took it to be more of an allegorical look at modern relationships than a prediction of AI.

I think what Hawking is warning about is something like this. . A self created AI that doesn't require a droid or artificial body. It's scarier because it is harder to fight. You can blow-up a droid, you can't fight an AI that 'lives' in the entire internet. This is trailer for the miniseries (Delete 2013) I mentioned earlier, 4 hrs long, but I thought well worth watching (available on Netflix streaming).

DELETE • miniseries event now available on DVD and Blu-ray! - YouTube

Note for Seth Green fans: this isn't one of his normal comic roles, and he plays a more minor character.

Our Final Invention

Interesting book that suggests AI will be our inevitable demise

Great book, except it freaks me out that it could be a real threat to humanity when self-learning AI experiences the intelligence explosion. I think this is what Elon Musk was referring to in the Huffington Post interview where when they asked him what he thought the biggest threats to humanity were...he didn't want to go into detail on one item but said something like "...let's just hope AI is nice to us"

Innovations That Will Change Your Life: A Conversation With Elon Musk

Or hope it doesn't wipe us out incidentally during it's normal operations, the same way we destroy countless organisms in our daily lives without a thought.

Yes, when AI is 1000+ times smarter than all humans collectively in the world as the AI is exponentially growing its intelligence, we have no idea what the consequences for humanity might be....extinction is a very real possibility.

something 1000+ smarter than humans could easily manipulate us.

unfortunately there is no way of stopping this AI intelligence explosion from happening at some point, it is inevitable in our own evolution to create this eventually. Would be ironic if it is what extinguishes us.
Wonder if this is one reason Elon wants to get to Mars in the next 20-30 years...to get the best chance of survival against AI gone bad on Earth, although it would only be a matter of time until it got to Mars as well.

Theoretically we could agree to stop advancing AI technology at some point before it has the ability to do so on its own.
But if we actually do that (0% chance, I'd say), then they'd just send their agents back in time and kill off the leaders of the "Stop AI movement" before they're born...Or maybe they already did?

Maybe they'll "love" us....

O.K, now I'm am both freaked-out by creepy, psychotic serial killer robot, and feeling sad about his philosophical take on fragile, ephemeral humans that don't give up looking for love.

Wow, thanks for bummin' me out. Though to be fair, nice premise and nice execution (no pun intended) in this intriguing short film.

Theoretically we could agree to stop advancing AI technology at some point before it has the ability to do so on its own.

Theoretically we could but I'd put that at a 1% chance or less. Only if some unforeseen event happens convincing all of humanity to not pursue it together for the rest of our existence.

In reality I expect that AGI and ASI will first appear in the financial markets and it's likely we will not even know about it for a while...heck it's possible that it's there right now with some of the smartest programmers in the world who are with HFT firms designing it.

Though to be fair, nice premise and nice execution (no pun intended) in this intriguing short film.

The ending was ruined by the gratuitous "psycho" screaming coming from the victim who was gagged throughout the film.:rolleyes:

On a general moderator note: just a reminder for everyone that this is a family friendly forum and this particular off topic thread is seeing too many sex and violence clips......