TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Are your side and rear view mirrors too dark at night?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by shw2020, Jan 17, 2020.

1. shw2020

shw2020 New Member

My side and rear view mirrors get very dark at night, and it makes it especially hard to use at dusk. I know they have auto dimming, but I don't know how to control it.

They work great in the daylight, but as soon as the sun goes down they turn dark gray. Cars without headlights on don't show up in them, and cars with headlights have no detail expect the two headlights, which is much less visbility than I could see in my BMW which has had auto dimming.

I'm getting used to it, but still don't feel as comfortable as I'm used to changing lanes as dusk.

Does anybody else have this problem, and have you been able to figure out how to adjust the dimming? Or how to turn it off?

• Like x 2
  2. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

Are your windows tinted. I personally do not have this issue with my Model 3.

3. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

For the side mirrors, I switched to the SUMA Performance convex mirrors that have a blue tint for anti glare. It doesn't have the auto dim feature....

4. trace

trace Member

I wish it were more dim, and that it could be enabled on demand.

I know I could get a tint to "fix" this, but I prefer sunglasses.

5. Resist

Resist Member

I thought they auto dim based on the light from headlights, not whether it's day or night out. I wish mine were darker because some headlights are still too bright in my mirrors.

6. Fadiawesome

Fadiawesome Member

hmm, for me, when there are cars behind me, i find that it dims perfectly. But I realized that tesla doesn't dim based on the lighting behind you, it automatically dims a little after sundown, which is weird to me.

7. Resist

Resist Member

I think that's a stupid way to implement auto dim for the mirrors, it should be activated based on the light source into the mirrors.

8. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

Yep agree, not a fan of driving at night as the rear view and the sides are too dim

9. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

There's a huge thread devoted to this very issue: Auto Dimming Mirrors.... Kinda Dark