Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are YouTubers only posting successful FSD experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!

New here. Hope to engage with all of you regarding FSD and all other things Tesla.
My model 3 just recently received FSD Beta 10.3.1! Super excited! I went for 3 quick rides.
Every turn failed. First was a 4-way stop, the second was a right turn, and the third was a left turn on a green arrow. All failed. FSD cancelled on me.
I've watched many YouTube videos and most of the time the cars I watch have been driving flawlessly. I am wondering if my car will eventually make a turn!
Anyway. I love FSD and love testing it. I am behind it 100% I just want to know if all of you are experiencing more fails than successes.

Thanks!
GC

Hey all!

New here. Hope to engage with all of you regarding FSD and all other things Tesla.
My model 3 just recently received FSD Beta 10.3.1! Super excited! I went for 3 quick rides.
Every turn failed. First was a 4-way stop, the second was a right turn, and the third was a left turn on a green arrow. All failed. FSD cancelled on me.
I've watched many YouTube videos and most of the time the cars I watch have been driving flawlessly. I am wondering if my car will eventually make a turn!
Anyway. I love FSD and love testing it. I am behind it 100% I just want to know if all of you are experiencing more fails than successes.

Thanks!
GC

I've seen plenty of FSD Beta with fails. So I don't think ALL FSD Beta youtubers are hiding the truth. However, it is also true that Tesla emailed FSD Beta and told them to be careful about posting fails because Tesla critics could use it against Tesla. And, I do think that some of the "Tesla fanboys" like Whole Mars are posting certain sped up videos of FSD beta doing a short tripe with zero disengagements in order to hype FSD Beta.

Having said that, FSD Beta will vary in performance for a variety of reasons. We know that Tesla has trained FSD Beta with more data from CA. Elon admitted that the NN are "overfit" to CA. So I do believe FSD Beta performs better in CA than in other areas. So it is entirely possible that FSD Beta testers in CA or SF are experiencing better performance. FSD Beta could also vary in performance due to weather, edge cases, traffic conditions etc... So a lot can affect the performance of FSD Beta.

Ultimately, we should remember that all videos will be "cherry picked" in a sense since by their nature, videos will only show a snapshot in a time and place. Videos cannot show the entire performance of FSD Beta in the entire ODD.

If FSD is cancelling on you on every turn, you undoubtedly are gripping the wheel too tightly and disengaging FSD, yourself. While turning have your hands on the wheel, but don't grip it. Let ithe wheel spim under your loose hands, which are there to grasp it only should you need to take over.

True. But your hands should be loosely "guiding" the wheel to the correct turning radius. So if FSD Beta does not take the turn correctly, then the wheel should feel some resistance from you and disengage. You should not let FSD Beta steer incorrectly in a turn, especially if it might be unsafe. For example, I've had FSD Beta take a turn a bit too wide where it got too close to another car so I corrected the wheel, which caused FSD Beta to disengage. That is appropriate.

Excellent info! Yes. I live in New England where the roads are terrible! Foliage everywhere. Maniac drivers. Narrow roads. Very tricky for FSD. Thanks for the tips. I will make sure to correct the car at all times to help improve the system with feedback. I am sure I’ll be pressing that VIDEO button a lot.

Great feedback.

GC

Reactions: diplomat33
Mine drives in the middle of the road if there are no lines - this has nearly caused two head-on collisions because the car does not always move right or even appear to see oncoming traffic at times, such that I will not engage it on the two miles of blacktop I must travel to leave my home and go anywhere. I'll beta test on lined roads, but will not risk my life for this bug that seriously needs attention.

Excellent info! Yes. I live in New England where the roads are terrible! Foliage everywhere. Maniac drivers. Narrow roads. Very tricky for FSD. Thanks for the tips. I will make sure to correct the car at all times to help improve the system with feedback. I am sure I’ll be pressing that VIDEO button a lot.

Great feedback.

GC
Welcome. I think you'll find New England especially Mass is difficult for FSD due to some of the reasons you mentioned. None of the maniac drivers you mentioned though are FSD beta testers :) It does get easier once you begin to understand how FSD "drives".

Hey all!

Thanks!
GC

It's been pretty clear that FSD doesn't perform as well here in New England compared to other areas in the country. The humans don't perform as well either! Welcome to the mayhem that is Boston-area FSD testing :)

10.4 is a definite regression in the Boston Area compared to 10.3.1. FSD is now having issues with any highway exit or entrance that has white dotted marks (which are there to help self driving cars). Also FSD tried to change two lanes when entering the highway and would have sideswiped another car had I not immediately taken over.

Every time it screws up I press the record button. I’m sure they are loving the hundreds of recording I’ve sent so far. Ugh

10.4 is a definite regression in the Boston Area compared to 10.3.1. FSD is now having issues with any highway exit or entrance that has white dotted marks (which are there to help self driving cars). Also FSD tried to change two lanes when entering the highway and would have sideswiped another car had I not immediately taken over.

Every time it screws up I press the record button. I’m sure they are loving the hundreds of recording I’ve sent so far. Ugh

car only has storage for 5 snapshots, so I would prioritize if you're exceeding that on a daily basis.

Experiencing the same behavior when merging onto highways (FSD --> AP) from streets. FSD wants to go all the way over to the left lane (two lanes over from the entrance lane) when entering the highway from the right side, even with other cars close by. I've replicated the behavior a number of times and stopped letting the car enter highways.

Reactions: bradbissell
The car only has room for 5 snapshots? Wow, talk about limiting your data pool. I only press the record button for major screwups, but on my last drive I had at least 10 instances of insane behavior that I recorded. All instances would have caused an accident. Guess I’ll have to only record the ones that would either total my car or hurt someone else.

Agree that the impression one gets from the YouTube videos is better than the reality, at least here in New Jersey. I think it's partially that it feels more real when you are in the car, and probably largely that the relatively few beta testers before were giving feedback over months, and the software got "overfit" to their neighborhoods.

In hindsight, I should have realized that they were saying things like "now that was a really great right turn!" probably because most of the turns were not so good.

See the other threads - there is a lot of discussion about apparent difference in what we see on youtube and the way we feel when we drive.

In general youtubers push the envelop and don't disengage as quickly as we do. Also, as you get more experience you will also see the limitations and where the wheel just jerks a lot and figure out where you can hold the steering wheel loosely so it won't disengage.

More importantly seeing a video is very different from experiencing the drive in person. I've confirmed this by making videos of my drive and watching afterwards.

I still haven't had a successful turn even with 10.4

It's bizarrely inconsistent.

Like today it turned way wide on a turn into a residential area and I only allowed it because there were no cars coming. But, I ended up taking over to make sure it didn't think it was okay.

Yesterday it suddenly accelerated after turning into a residential area, and I took over. If it was smoother I would have just dialed it down (I always dial it from a 25 speed limit to 20 which is what I do in residential areas because of unpredictable kids, dogs, etc).

Sometimes it does almost okay, but then cancels because of my own nervous twitch holds the steeering wheel a bit too much.

It's too embarrassing to even try with someone behind me so I've stopped even trying to use it for turns at intersections.

Part of it is also having 20" wheels on a Performance Model 3. They're known as being ultra delicate so not actually a great match with FSD Beta.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and EVNow