Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Argelius: 220V may not be available (solved!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I'm very sad.

I got 3 estimates to bring 220V into my detached garage.

The first guy who seemed very knowledgable said no problem and gave an estimate.
After that, I placed my order and sent it to production 4 gays ago.
In the mean time, I decided to get two more estimates. Both these guys (including Mr Electric, Tesla's recommended electrician in my area) were adamant that it can't be done without first having the power company install a second meter on the garage and getting a permit from the city will be problematic.

:-( Very Sad.

Anyway, I'm calling the first guy back to press him on details.

I assume the $2500 is truly non-refundable?

Can you tell them you need a 220V outlet in the garage for a table saw or something? I doubt you need a separate meter or permit for that...

Agree. Couldn't you just run it to another place.

There is a way to make it happen--get your electrician out there and see what options are--DO NOT GIVE UP!

Mr. Elec is WAY too expensive, call someone else (go to Yelp and see ratings--start calling). No need to get city involved!!

My electrician is coming out next week to install 14-50 and it's $200.

The City of Chicago is a PITA with these sorts of things.

I spoke to guy #1 again and he said he's done these things many times before and isn't concerned. I'm guessing/hoping the other two are just suburbanites that don't know nothin' about Chicago houses.

I've also wondered -- do they make really long 220V extension cords?

Both these guys (including Mr Electric, Tesla's recommended electrician in my area) were adamant that it can't be done without first having the power company install a second meter on the garage and getting a permit from the city will be problematic.

That's bizarre. In my jurisdiction (and I know because I work for a utility) we won't even allow a second meter to one property. If you don't have capacity on your existing service, you upgrade it and run the new circuit to wherever and you're done. There may be utility costs for running heavier service cables to the new upgraded service, but that still is probably less than running in a completely new parallel service.

Our house and separate garage (really a barn) were both built in 1847. I just had my electrician run the power from the basement in my house to the barn, replace all of the barn's very old (and likely dangerous) wiring and install a 14-50, all new lights, outlets and a separate panel. It cost me $2K. Took them a day and a half. No permit. Maybe IL is different. It's just not common the hear of a state that is more difficult than MA!

Stick with the first guy. Electricians are notorious for being dickheads that would rather pick apart NEC rule 39.125 part b section 1 rather than solving the problem. Sounds like the 1st guy you called is a problem solver, the other two only see problems. It truly isn't rocket science...

Our house and separate garage (really a barn) were both built in 1847. I just had my electrician run the power from the basement in my house to the barn, replace all of the barn's very old (and likely dangerous) wiring and install a 14-50, all new lights, outlets and a separate panel. It cost me $2K. Took them a day and a half. No permit. Maybe IL is different. It's just not common the hear of a state that is more difficult than MA!

No permit? That's *definitely* permit-required work in most of this country. Any new wire additions at all require permit pulls in most jurisdictions that require permit pulls. My guess is that yours wasn't done legally.

- - - Updated - - -

Stick with the first guy. Electricians are notorious for being dickheads that would rather pick apart NEC rule 39.125 part b section 1 rather than solving the problem. Sounds like the 1st guy you called is a problem solver, the other two only see problems. It truly isn't rocket science...

This depends... first, there are those electricians who see a tough job and say "eh, I have enough work, don't feel like doing this one". You might have this here. But most of the time, the reason they have to pay attention to NEC rules is liability. It's too bad that some people define "problem solver" as "any guy who'll rig it up with two pieces of chewing gum, bailing wire, and a quart of gasoline". It also impacts their future jobs too, if an AHJ sees a "problem solving" expedition he doesn't like, future inspections are going to get tougher for him. Electricians don't work in a vacuum, cut them slack - their livelihoods depend upon this.

- - - Updated - - -

pfffff who needs electricians and permits? do it yourself. it's 4 wires. just be careful not to touch the main in the panel even when the breaker is off (it will kill you). :) have fun lol

Smiley aside, this is really serious stuff. Don't leave room for misinterpretation, please?

I don't know your situation but will charging at 120 volts suffice?

If your drives are short enough and if you have enough time while parked at home (or wherever) to replenish charge, it might work for you, even though it's rather slow.

Heck, I have a Leaf and don't have a 240 volt EVSE installed at home nor have I used evseupgrade.com (to upgrade the stock L1 EVSE). No need.

I get free charging @ work on Chargepoint EVSEs (I believe they run at 208 volts). I basically only charge at home on weekends and my commute is only ~12 miles each way.

At my work, since there are more EVs/PHEVs than J1772 handles (which run at L2), there are 2 EVSEs w/120 volt outlets, so I sometimes use those w/my stock L1 EVSE to charge (and leave the L2 J1772s free for others). I did that today. I got to 100% well before going home.