Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Argelius: Questions before placing my order.... tell me what I should change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

So, after months of research and soul-searching, I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Here's what I'm planning on getting:

S85
Pearl White (Grey was strong second choice, but my last 4 cars have all been grey, so I'm ready for a change
Black leather (thought about grey, but think black looks more elegant and is probably infinitely easier to keep looking new)
Matte wood (love this)
Technology package (duh!)
Panoramic sunroof (debated a little about this, but think opening and closing the roof with the touch screen alone is worth it!)
Parking Sensors (Praise Elon for finally adding these)
High Fidelity Sound (questioned this one, but I enjoy music and XM so know I'd probably always question not getting it)

In an effort to trim the budget somewhere, I skipped on the premium interior lighting which really shouldn't be an option at all and certainly isn't worth $1000), and the Aerodynamic rims (which I think look really cool, but don't mind the regular rims)

So, here's your chance -- talk me in or out of my choices before I make the phone call!

Nice selection. There are the cyclone wheels as well but if you don't mind the standard 19" rims then that is the way to go to save money. Love the Pearl White and black leather interior look.

One option to consider in Chicago would be the subzero weather package. Air suspension is nice to have too but may not hold up as well over many years as the standard suspension. Congrats on the order.

I went for a test drive in a Model S without the sound package and it was insane.

Really don't think its needed.... although i havent heard what the sound package sounds like.... but stock speakers seem far more than good enough

Great choices! Nearly identical to what I picked. The black interior is fantastic so no worries.

My order which went in early this month:
S85 Grey (Pearl White was second choice) - thought the grey was an interesting and very cool color...but there is no way to go wrong here :)
Black interior
Pano roof - must have, awesome glass roof
Matte wood - agree with you! Was going with gloss until I saw matte in person
Tech package - kind of silly not to get
Sound studio - same reason as you
19" wheels - many reasons but my friends are still giving me a hard time about no 21's but I would still go with 19's
Parcel shelf - wife would questions why I didn't get this
Would have loved parking sensors but I had pricing locked in at end of July and they weren't available :(

Selected a November delivery date to coincide with a lease turn-in but can't wait! Congratulations and let us know when it's done.

I opted out of the premium sound package and have had no qualms about it. I did ten years in jets, so I am sure my HFHL has a lot to do with my enjoyment. But it did save me some money, so FWIW.

The colors and interior are 100% opinion. You are also 100% that your opinion is right.

19:" wheels look great. Less blingy than the 21s - less costly in the long run and initially.

Otherwise, nicely done ...

One of the Tesla studio dudes had a brilliant idea WRT satellite radio: get the XM/Sirius app on you phone and stream it to the car. He said that others use Pandora that way.

I think that's only doable if you only listen to a couple of channels. But if you're all over the spectrum while you drive, that could be dangerous.

Hello all,

S85
Pearl White (Grey was strong second choice, but my last 4 cars have all been grey, so I'm ready for a change
Black leather (thought about grey, but think black looks more elegant and is probably infinitely easier to keep looking new)
Matte wood (love this)
Panoramic sunroof (debated a little about this, but think opening and closing the roof with the touch screen alone is worth it!)
High Fidelity Sound (questioned this one, but I enjoy music and XM so know I'd probably always question not getting it)

In an effort to trim the budget somewhere, I skipped on the premium interior lighting which really shouldn't be an option at all and certainly isn't worth $1000), and the Aerodynamic rims (which I think look really cool, but don't mind the regular rims)

So, here's your chance -- talk me in or out of my choices before I make the phone call!

GO FOR IT!

Sorry, I must avert my eyes from any post announcing a new order that includes Parking Sensors :)

I had to confirm my order a day or two before the surprise announcement of the availability of Parking Sensors, so I missed out and discovered I was screwed like so many others earlier this month.

But beyond that, your configuration sounds great! Congrats!

Hello all,

S85
Matte wood (love this)

Well done! All of your choices make sense to me. I know you'll be pleased with Pearl White—looks awesome with the black interior. Congratulations!

Let me reinforce the panoramic roof choice. If you're tall or ever expect to have taller people (especially in the back seat) with you, you'll be forever grateful for the recesses created by the panoramic roof. Welcome to our Chicago family.

Okay. Last question before placing order: air-suspension -- just for steep driveways?

I was going to forego the air-suspension but after researching more, I'm now questioning that decision. Just trying to trim the budget somewhere....

In Chicago, I frequently scrape the lower part of the front bumper coming in and out of my alley. I have a house in California where the Tesla (and me) will be soon permanently residing which has a fairly steep driveway.

A couple of questions:

[1] So, does the standard suspension ride so low that navigating these obstacles will be a constant source of frustration?

[2] So, if I had the air suspension, would I pull up the base of the driveway, stop the car, call up the air suspension on the touch screen, wait for the car to raise, then proceed up the driveway? Seems like an annoyance to have to do that everytime you return how.

[3] Other than supposed improved aerodynamics, does the air suspension otherwise improve the ride?

I've read through pages and pages of posts, and sometimes answers get lost in the dialog, so thank you for your patience as I ask what I know has been answered ad nauseum elsewhere....

I use it for steep driveways primarily. I've also used it for very bumpy and/or pothole filled driveways to help from bottoming out the car when I hit a big depression. I've a few friends with decently long dirt driveways or fields that serve as overflow parking for places I might visit in the boonies (e.g. the pumpkin patch farm we get pumpkins at near Halloween).

You don't have to be stopped to change suspension, but you do need to be moving fairly slow.

I didn't get the air on my Model S. It's been fine on driveways, even steep ones as long as I drive very slowly when angling up, just like on any other car. It's been fine. The MS also has a thick protective pad under the front part of the car, looks like it was designed to take some abuse and also be easily replaceable. But that's just a guess, it would be nice for someone to confirm.