TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Argh - touch up paint still backordered for months

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by eco5280, May 15, 2015.

1. eco5280

eco5280 Member

It's one thing about the Center Console, but seriously, no touch up paint is available yet for the new grey? I've been on that pre-order list for months. Anyone else?

2. Barry

Barry Member

I'm on the waiting list, too.

3. Firewired

Firewired Member

I was able to get a small bottle made at my local Tesla Approved body shop. They were really nice about it and wouldn't even let me pay them for it.

4. Juan Burgundy

Juan Burgundy Member

Same here.

5. JPP

JPP Active Member

Try Dr. Color Chip. Great color matching, nice application process. They will need the 4 letter color code when you order.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Agreed. The wait is ridiculous. They don't even have a paint code! So Dr. Color Chip can't match it yet.

7. Gr8pursuit

Gr8pursuit Member

Steel Grey is not even offered anymore on their S models. If they don't have touch up paint by now, I bet they won't have it at all, but I hope not.

8. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

I have a bottle of touch up paint for the original grey available since we sold our Model S last week. If anyone wants it, it's theirs for the price of shipping plus a $10 payment. It cost me more than that when I picked it up at a local body shop.

9. eco5280

eco5280 Member

To be clear, I'm talking about the "new" dark grey. I don't know the real name for it.

I want the darned touch up paint. But my real concern is how little things like this spiral out of control with volume doubling, tripling, and more in the coming year or two. I'm still waiting on my Monroney sticker too.

10. jdo

jdo Member

I'm also been trying to figure out how to get touch-up paint for the new Metallic Grey. Called both my area service centers today--neither has it, nor knows when it might come in.

11. JPP

JPP Active Member

...see above...try Dr. Color Chip. You will need the 4 letter TM paint code.

12. rlang59

rlang59 Member

They may also ask for a picture of the car's paint.

13. jdo

jdo Member

I didn't know how to get it for the new Grey, but you message prompted a search, so now I got it: PMNG. Thanks!

14. JPP

JPP Active Member

Let us know how good the match is--I have used their system on 2 cars, and it has been pretty good, and easier to apply than using the usual paint pen or brush from the OEMs.

15. MileHighMotoring

5 months more and still unavailable with no end in sight. It's obvious that Tesla has no plans to provide this utterly basic item. I've never in my entire life heard of a car company not making touch up paint available. This is really frustrating.

16. Lex

Lex Member

Thx to previous members, I got Dr. Color Chip too ... had to use a US Address service to get it into Canada though, and not cheap, but did a great job on one chip so far, I can't even find the spot anymore.

Instead of an ugly touch-up blob you can actually fill-in the chip.

17. jdo

jdo Member

Sorry, just now seeing this.

Pretty good match. I've never had the need for touch-up paint before, so I don't have any basis for comparison. I can still pick out the areas with the small scrapes that were covered, but I doubt that anyone else could just on routine inspection.

18. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I've been waiting a year. Amazing that Tesla is so good at service, but can't order the touch up paint. Hello? Purchasing!!! Fortunately the little mark I have is pretty much unnoticeable. But it still bugs me.

19. jshear

jshear Member

Hi can you please post how to get it to Canada. I would like to order too.

Thanks

Jeff

20. Lex

Lex Member

Google for a US Address service, I'm not recommending one particular one but I think the one I used is literally called that, and there are others.

On the subject of touch-up paint, it's a bizarre scenario to not have the factory touch-up paint available for so many colors... it should be stocked at stores and sold with every car.