Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arguments for the 160 mile S (if you’re not a millionaire of course)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, this is how I figured it:
(1) If I'm going to keep an ICE car and am happy to use it for longer trips (perhaps this depends on how frequent those trips are), definitely get the 160.
(2) If car rental is easy and I'm happy to do that for longer trips (perhaps this depends on how frequent those trips are), definitely get the 160.
(3) If I am happy to take airplanes, or trains, or buses, or whatever for longer trips, definitely get the 160.
(3) If I expect a sufficient level 2 charging network accessible to the 160 to be widely distributed around my area by the time I get my car, or am able to cause such a network to be created, get the 160. (The charging network makes the effective range much better.)

My longer-than-160-mile round trips are a minimum of monthly, I don't want to use my ICE for them, rentals are annoying and inconvenient for me, there's no suitable air/train/bus service, and I'm in a charging wasteland. Result is clear for me. Result will be different for other people. In particular, people who are happy to keep driving an ICE for longer trips, living next to a rental car place, with frequent air, train, and bus service, level 2 charging at their workplace, and a large 220 volt public charge point network, probably won't want a large battery! (And may be happy with a Nissan Leaf, actually.)

Your range needs are determined by your location and driving pattern. I actually concluded that I only *need* 230 mile range, but I would use the 300 mile range if I had it, and I figure it means I'll retain 230 mile range for longer. This car is so expensive I plan to keep it until it's unrepairable.

Very good analysis - agree 100% - I would add one other item:

(5) If I've got the money and I want a screaming fast car that will go 0-60 in UNDER 4.4 secs (and humble AMGs and M-series) then get the Performance version no matter what your range needs!!

Has anyone thought about the weight of the 160 mile S?

I just watched a video reviewing the Model S, and the driver kept talking about how heavy the car felt. Everything else was a positive, but the weight seemed to be at least somewhat of an issue. That immediately made me think that it might be smart to get the smallest battery, assuming that would cut down on the excessive weight somewhat.

Do the stiffening components that are installed in place of the additional battery cells weigh much? I know that the 160 mile S doesn't simply have empty space where the missing battery cells belong, because the design requires something there to keep the body from flexing too much. If that material weighs about the same as the battery (doubtful, but possible), then my idea to save weight is moot.

Anyway, I've owned a Tesla Roadster for 15 months, over 18K miles, including a trip between Seattle and Oakland. I stopped 7 times, almost twice more often than required for my 245 mile range, and I think folks should be able to do long road trips with the 160 mile S more easily than they think. It's fun to spend 90 minutes in a new city, grab some food, hang out, and then get back on the road.

Very good analysis - agree 100% - I would add one other item:

(5) If I've got the money and I want a screaming fast car that will go 0-60 in UNDER 4.4 secs (and humble AMGs and M-series) then get the Performance version no matter what your range needs!!

That was my analysis. The 40kwh would be great otherwise! rent a car if you need to go long distance(train if it exists where u are)

I'm getting the 85kwh, but if we bought a 2nd it'd be the 40kwh. As has been often stated, you don't need the range most of the time. One car would be commuter only, the other used on long driving days. I very seriously debated the 40kwh battery instead of the 85kwh and using my wife's ICE as the distance car, but for various non-practical reasons to go 85kwh (mid-life crisis, get it sooner, etc).

I'm getting the 85kwh, but if we bought a 2nd it'd be the 40kwh. As has been often stated, you don't need the range most of the time. One car would be commuter only, the other used on long driving days. I very seriously debated the 40kwh battery instead of the 85kwh and using my wife's ICE as the distance car, but for various non-practical reasons to go 85kwh (mid-life crisis, get it sooner, etc).

you can get the 40kw TESLA rav4 now if you want ;-) and long trip S later ;-)