Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ariya anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks cool but I ended up ordering a MYLR instead. What I realized when I spec'ed out an Ariya (or a Mach-E for that matter) is that a model with comparable range / acceleration to the MYLR had an MSRP at least equal to the Tesla, at least at that time. In that light, I opted for the more established EV. I also preferred the Tesla's more distinctive style. Of course, the non-Tesla options were eligible for the tax credits that Tesla lost some time ago but even with that, the price difference was not large enough for it to tilt the scale in the Ariya's favor. If I were choosing between the Ariya and MME, I'd probably go with the Nissan.

Reactions: leaftoy
That would be a hard no on the exterior styling alone. I am not spending $50k+ on something I don’t even want to be seen in, let alone the lesser range, performance, and charging infrastructure. We had a Model S and now a Y and other EVs need to offer a lot more for me to leave Team Tesla. Lucid and Rivian are intriguing but the Ariya…not at all.

I don't know things will change if Tesla open its supercharge stations to non-tesla, but as for now, I cannot do road trip with non-tesla. I also have a Chevy bolt, public charging vs Tesla supercharge is day and night. I can only use chevy bolt for work and local drive, for long road trip I have to take MY. Never underestimate the network charging, I have non-tesla EV and a Tesla, I know the different.
So, if the Ariya is your second EV, then yes go for it. But if it's your main EV, I would go for Tesla because it's just its charging network that makes the different.

I dunno. I've owned three Nissans and leased one. Two were Leafs. They were fine and reasonably reliable.

Former 350Z had a lot of driver involvement but was kinda noisy (not surprisingly) and had a bouncy and harsh ride that really beat you up but I liked the brakes and really liked the handling. In comparison, the handling of my former Maxima that I had alongside for awhile sucked in comparison and the brakes weren't nearly as good. But, the ride was MUCH smoother, maybe too soft. Maxima was also quieter and quite a pleasure to drive.

Nissan reliability can be pretty hit or miss depending on the model and model year. Mine all treated me ok. This spanned from late 01 to mid-2011 then from end of July 2013 thru June 2021.

My mom's leftover 07 Altima Hybrid bought in Feb 08 has been fairly good except for one major problem (IIRC, was over $2K to fix, cylinder head carboned up).

She still has it. She mostly goes on short drives and almost never on the highway, so I suspect with the hybrid system shutting down the ICE (by design) often, the engine didn't stay at high/operating temp much, causing carbon deposit buildup. There was a TSB on this: https://electricvehicleforums.com/f...ech-bulletins-could-mean-major-ntb10-056a.pdf but she was past powertrain warranty. IIRC, my dad was able to get Nissan corporate to either cover the part or labor, which brought the repair cost down.

Right now at Who Makes the Most Reliable New Cars? (behind a paywall), Nissan is ranked #9 (putting them in barely in the above average band) with an overall reliability score of 63 out of 100. To be within average, they'd need to be between 41 and 60. Their highest is a Rogue Sport with 84 and lowest is Rogue with 30. Leaf has a 77.

Tesla is #27 (2nd to last) with a score of 25. Model 3 has a 59, then it's S with 20, Y with 18 and X with 5.

Anyway, there are some slots remaining at a few of the venues left at Nissan - Ariya Ride & Drive. I signed up for San Mateo, Aug 7th.

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of hate for Nissan here for some reason. I think the Ariya looks fine and for me it would be toward the top in terms of styling among Crossover EVs available now. I would certainly love to test drive one if possible. But yeah, it would take a lot more for me to want to trade out of my MYP.

By the way, I rented a 2010 Nissan GT-R a couple of weeks ago. It was super loud (not helped by aftermarket exhaust pipes), has almost zero driver assist features, and while it's powerful, didn't feel any faster than my MYP. But goddammit, I want one!

Nissan dealers in Florida basically all told me they would markup my Platinum+ reservation by at least $5K so I only held on for the free test drive (happening on the 30th).

But recent reviews have shown it is a very efficient crossover EV and might actually achieve 300+ miles at 70mph in real world so I am very curious and want to see first hand if this efficiency is possible.

Anyone planning to spend $500 on Ariya reservation? If so, why? :)

Nissan ARIYA PREMIERE Pre-Order | Nissan USA

I found the 360 degree exterior and interior images to be very helpful.
I wish to find a similar feature on the Tesla web site, especially for the inside
to have a better idea for example for the Model Y with 5 seats or 7 seats.

The exterior looks very similar to the VW ID.4, nothing very exciting,
not like the Ioniq 6 or the Volvo Polestar !!!
The interior, well too many buttons, I like better the Tesla simplicity.

The battery is 87 kW and is liquid cooled, better than the air cooled Leaf.
So $46k for the FWD base model (304 miles range), and $59k for the e-4ORCE AWD (265 miles of range).

This is more closer to the Model 3 prices.
Some people will like it better than the Model 3 just because of the rear hatch back.

Reactions: jebinc
Nissan dealers in Florida basically all told me they would markup my Platinum+ reservation by at least $5K so I only held on for the free test drive (happening on the 30th).

But recent reviews have shown it is a very efficient crossover EV and might actually achieve 300+ miles at 70mph in real world so I am very curious and want to see first hand if this efficiency is possible.
I bet my Tesla for not even close to 300 miles! :cool:

Nope. Every Nissan my parents or family member purchased went to crap after 100k. Would never buy a Nissan.

Also for $53k I’d rather go Hyundai or Mach-E
Chevy Blazer base 1LT - $45k, 320 mile RS - $52K
Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 1.54.52 PM.png

Reactions: CaliX and voxel
Chevy Blazer base 1LT - $45k, 320 mile RS - $52KView attachment 831042
While I have a reservation, I'm still leery of Chevy EV reliability. The 2022 Bolts are encountering Transmission Control Module failures.. at first it was thought the software fix would resolve it but numerous cars have issues even with it applied.

Really.. if you want a reliable drivetrain, it's probably Tesla, Toyota (their PHEV tech basically just got extended into the BEV space which is why all specs are underwhelming), BMW/MINI.