TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Arizona HOV Lane Access opens up to PHEV's (Limited supply)

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by shrink, May 20, 2014.

1. shrink

shrink Member

Not that this matters all that much to owners here, but in case you see a few more Volts, C-Max, Fisker's, etc. in the HOV lane with a single driver, ADOT just released 1800 energy-efficient cloud plates for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. The BMW i3 with REX did not make the list:

Additional energy-efficient license plates now available from ADOT

I have a Roadster and a Volt so this is good news for me.

2. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

This is good news for me- Just bought a Volt for my Daughter to drive last week- Hope the dealership gets the registration processed in time to get one-

3. GuyHall

GuyHall Member

Does anyone know if states respect each others HOV stickers. I'm guessing this is too much to hope for. We'll be driving from CA to AZ this summer and it would be sweet if we could drive in the HOV lane.... Wait a minute... I said we... Ahhh... OK, how about for intellectual curiosity?

Guy

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Guy:
    I spent all winter driving in and out of the PHX metro area in the Tesla in the HOV lane...with Alaskan plates...without having received an Arizonan thingymabubsticker. It took me most of the winter to get over cringing about being in the lane....until I'd remember that my wife was with me. It'd happen every time!

5. David99

David99 Active Member

Where did it say the i3 with rEx didn't make it? It might not be in the list because it's not really on sale here yet.

6. GuyHall

GuyHall Member

David99, the i3 is on sale in CA. I'm doing a test drive tomorrow. I assume the Rex version is also available. I'll try to remember to report back tomorrow, even though we're a bit off topic.

7. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

Called my dealership and they rushed the registration transfer from my old car to the Volt- that allowed me to go online and order one of these plates yesterday- Delivery expected in 5 days! My daughter will be very happy..

8. shepali

shepali Member

Well THAT explains it!!! I have been seeing Volts with the cloud plate, and have been confused - as I've been telling everyone that they don't qualify, since they have the small gas engine. I had not looked at them close enough to realize they have the hybrid sign on them. Interesting.....I wonder how long it took for the 1,800 to be swept up. Days? Maybe longer....since it probably wasn't widely adverstised.....

9. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

The MVD site has a counter of how many have been claimed, updated each Monday. I stumbled across it this week and a bit under 1500 were still remaining.

Normally these things go quick -- but this change no longer allows 'regular' hybrids to get the plate, only plug-ins -- so I'm guessing people really are not aware yet...

10. shepali

shepali Member

I have a coworker with a Ford Fusion plug-in, and passed this along to her. She was able to get one within 10 minutes. Thanks for posting about this, and that they were still available. Great news!

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Is there any limit for 100% BEVs?

12. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Nope (at least for now). BEVs fall under the Alt Fuel plate. Hybrids have a similar plate, but limited to 10,000 hybrids (originally, now only PEVs)...