Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Opening event at Fashion Square was awesome! I probably met a few of you. I was in the car giving the touch screen demos. I wish you guys had a secret handshake for the forum. In development? You guys are awesome! and I'm super jealous, I can't wait to place my reservation (when I'm out of college) haha! Hope to see you this weekend!

The Opening event at Fashion Square was awesome! I probably met a few of you. I was in the car giving the touch screen demos. I wish you guys had a secret handshake for the forum. In development? You guys are awesome! and I'm super jealous, I can't wait to place my reservation (when I'm out of college) haha! Hope to see you this weekend!

I wish I could have been there. I live in Tucson, and have Model X reservation #P1214. I would like to test drive a model S. When do you suppose it will be possible for me to do that?

I wish I could have been there. I live in Tucson, and have Model X reservation #P1214. I would like to test drive a model S. When do you suppose it will be possible for me to do that?
Probable very soon! Our understanding is that Model S's at the stores will be available for test drives. The SFS store is open and there is one Roadster and two S's sitting there (in the parking garage) in addition to the two betas in the showroom. They may need to share the S's between the stores during the Get Amped event, but they clearly want people to drive the cars to foster sales. I'd call the store for more info (480) 946-3735.

I've called the store and am on a wait list to drive the car If anyone who has a reservation to drive the car intends to cancel, I hope they do it several hours in advance of the reservation time. They told me that after this weekend there won't be any cars there to drive for a month or two. In the meantime, I hope those who got to drive the car will post their impressions somewhere in this forum.

It's good to see that we now have 14 Arizona reservation holders on the map and 12 members of the Arizona club, but we know that there are at least 60 more of you lurking out there. I've been increasing impressed with a sense of 'community' within the ranks of Tesla owners, reservation holders, and enthusiasts.

While we are by no means single minded, I'm pleased to be a part of a group who values things made in America, appreciates alternative energy, has a respect for the environment, wants to eliminate the need for foreign oil, likes to avoid gas stations . . . and wants to drive an awesome looking & family safe car in the process.

Please consider joining the community; put yourself on the map, join the AZ club, post comments to TMC, and participate (or sponsor) a meet & greet. Don't hesitate to PM another member - I think you'll find a warm reception . . . from like-minded people all over the world!

I liked the comment by a reviewer who said that those who can afford it have a DUTY to buy a Model S. That's pretty much the way I feel about it (with respect to the Model X). I like the idea of dealing directly with the manufacturer rather than with dealers, who usually know less about their cars than enthusiasts do.

Does anybody know whether Phoenix is going to get a service facility?

I was just reconfiguring my tesla and realized that the warranty (# of miles) different on 40, 60, 85 battery. Why is that? May be smaller batteries will go through more recharging cycles and will need replacement at 100k or 125k miles?

8 years for all
40 kWh is 100k miles
60 KWh is 125k miles
85 KWh is unlimited miles

I was just reconfiguring my tesla and realized that the warranty (# of miles) different on 40, 60, 85 battery. Why is that? May be smaller batteries will go through more recharging cycles and will need replacement at 100k or 125k miles?

8 years for all
40 kWh is 100k miles
60 KWh is 125k miles
Maybe they just want to encourage buyers to purchase a more expensive (and more profitable) car.

8 years for all
40 kWh is 100k miles
60 KWh is 125k miles

I start with the assumption that they picked 100k miles for the base model over 8 years because 12.5k is near the average driver IIRC and because it's aligned with at least some of the competition.

For the ranges of the 40, 60, 85 kWh use the simple 55 mph numbers: 160 mi., 230 mi., and 300 mi.

1. Full cycles[SUP]*[/SUP] if you used 100% to 0%, recharged fully, and repeated for 40 kWh warranty: 625 cycles (100,000 / 160)
2. Corresponding distance for 60 kWh battery: 143,750 mi. (625 * 230)
3. Corresponding distance for 85 kWh battery: 187,500 mi. (625 * 300)

Why is the 60 kWh warranty "only" 125,000 mi.? They're baking in more wear and tear into the warranty expectations for the 60 kWh, partly because of the expectation of supercharger use.

Why is the 85 kWh warranty "unlimited"? Two reasons I suspect: (1) a bit of bonus slack in the battery on their top end size, (2) expectation that few drivers will be driving more than 23,437.5 mi./yr. (=187,500 / 8), (3) counterpoint to "range of warranty" anxiety, and (4) great PR.

So in short... the 40 kWh is likely getting the best deal, mathematically speaking.

[SUP]*[/SUP] The ratios work out the same whether you use 100% charge, 80% charge, 60% charge, etc. Using 100% is simplest.

I start with the assumption that they picked 100k miles for the base model over 8 years because 12.5k is near the average driver IIRC and because it's aligned with at least some of the competition.

For the ranges of the 40, 60, 85 kWh use the simple 55 mph numbers: 160 mi., 230 mi., and 300 mi.

1. Full cycles[SUP]*[/SUP] if you used 100% to 0%, recharged fully, and repeated for 40 kWh warranty: 625 cycles (100,000 / 160)
2. Corresponding distance for 60 kWh battery: 143,750 mi. (625 * 230)
3. Corresponding distance for 85 kWh battery: 187,500 mi. (625 * 300)

Why is the 60 kWh warranty "only" 125,000 mi.? They're baking in more wear and tear into the warranty expectations for the 60 kWh, partly because of the expectation of supercharger use.

Why is the 85 kWh warranty "unlimited"? Two reasons I suspect: (1) a bit of bonus slack in the battery on their top end size, (2) expectation that few drivers will be driving more than 23,437.5 mi./yr. (=187,500 / 8), (3) counterpoint to "range of warranty" anxiety, and (4) great PR.

So in short... the 40 kWh is likely getting the best deal, mathematically speaking.

[SUP]*[/SUP] The ratios work out the same whether you use 100% charge, 80% charge, 60% charge, etc. Using 100% is simplest.

thanks brianman for putting the data behind the reasoning. May be I should get 40KWh battery and in 6-8 yrs, if I still have the car just get a new battery instead of paying more for the car now and getting 60 or 85 KWh battery.

I didnt think that SuperCharge will deteriorate battery life and may be thats why they are not offering super charge for 40KWh.

Alright, my paperwork is finished - had to do it on my iPhone from the Serengeti on an edge connection but no problems. My status is factory is building. Delivery is in November. My paperwork said 9.5% sales tax. Does AZ still have a lower tax for EV vehicles? P130 model s performance/brown/tan/CF/pano roof/21-inch silver.

thanks brianman for putting the data behind the reasoning. May be I should get 40KWh battery and in 6-8 yrs, if I still have the car just get a new battery instead of paying more for the car now and getting 60 or 85 KWh battery.

It's really hard to tell if that will work out to your financial advantage. If, on the other hand, a 40kWh model is the only way to get hold of this car, I'd go for it now.

I didnt think that SuperCharge will deteriorate battery life and may be thats why they are not offering super charge for 40KWh.

The Roadster Owner Based Study of Battery Pack Capacity Over Time shows that cycling the battery is the decisive factor for battery degradation. Supercharging is a 1.06C charge current for the 85kWh pack. We don't know at which power the 60kWh package can be supercharged, it could be 60kW to stay close to 1C or it could be 90kW to keep with the "supercharging" spec of adding 150 miles per 30 minutes. We really don't know yet.
There is a reason for Tesla denying super charger access to the 40kWh pack owners and battery warranty was mentioned in that context. Accelerated degradation might be the reason, but no one outside Tesla knows the contents of the Tesla battery warranty. Degradation due to normal use might very well be excluded.

Alright, my paperwork is finished - had to do it on my iPhone from the Serengeti on an edge connection but no problems. My status is factory is building. Delivery is in November. My paperwork said 9.5% sales tax. Does AZ still have a lower tax for EV vehicles? P130 model s performance/brown/tan/CF/pano roof/21-inch silver.

Sweet, November delivery! I looked into sales tax but didn't really find any convincing stuff. Do you make final payment at the time of delivery or now? What is "CF" in setup you mentioned above and did you take the technology package?

There were some early indications that EV owners in AZ would not have sales tax, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Check the for incentives. You'll be pleased with registration costs being a small fraction of ICE fees. Incentives for Purchasing an Electric Vehicle in United States | Tesla Motors

How many of us Arizonans have decided to go with purchase and signed the paperwork? So far I have counted only kishdude.

I just received the email to finalize myself, but if kishdude's P130 has a November delivery (and may get pushed to December, based on current Sig holders' delayed delivery), I think my P2793's delivery's will be in Jan 2013 at the earliest. Do you think there's a chance the $7500 credit will get revoked if Republicans sweep the elections in November? My guess if even if it gets revoked, it will be applied to year 2014 and beyond, right?