Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is Tesla/Az cannot sell cars as Az has a law prohibiting car manufacturers from selling direct to consumers. One guess as to who got that law enacted.Therefore, if the car cannot be sold in Az, Az should not be allowed to charge sales tax. For example , I bought a new car in Georgia, and when licensing/titling in AZ, AZ DMV said since it could have been bought from an Az dealer, state sales tax was owed. Further, the State notified the city in which I live, Scottsdale, and the city send a bill to my residence. Lastly, the Az personal property tax included in the license is based on 60% of the value of the base model..i.e.before any packages are included.

My understanding is Tesla/Az cannot sell cars as Az has a law prohibiting car manufacturers from selling direct to consumers. One guess as to who got that law enacted.Therefore, if the car cannot be sold in Az, Az should not be allowed to charge sales tax. For example , I bought a new car in Georgia, and when licensing/titling in AZ, AZ DMV said since it could have been bought from an Az dealer, state sales tax was owed. Further, the State notified the city in which I live, Scottsdale, and the city send a bill to my residence. Lastly, the Az personal property tax included in the license is based on 60% of the value of the base model..i.e.before any packages are included.
Nice try! Unfortunately, Arizona requires an MSO (Manufacturer's Certificate/Statement of Origin) for new vehicles that are purchased out of state where sales tax has not been paid. When you go to register your vehicle, they will want to collect sales tax. I've had to deal with this several times. Ideally, it would be nice if they passed legislation where EVs are exempt from sales tax. Possibly taking possession of your car in a state that does not collect sales tax might work, assuming you can claim some kind of residence there. You can then transfer the title to AZ as a used car and not have to pay sales tax.

Received my email this week to Finalize my build. Reservation #P3001 located in Mesa. I want 21" Performance Dark Gray rims but I can't them with a Standard S build. Is anybody interested in trading your 21" Dark Gray Perfomance rims for 19" rims with All Weather tires? I need a confirmation on this ASAP before I "Finalize" my build if any one is interested. Thanks!

How many of us Arizonans have decided to go with purchase and signed the paperwork? So far I have counted only kishdude.
I've signed for P1312 and have a Nov/Dec date. Based upon attendance at the Get Amped Event, I'd estimate that there about 75 Arizona res holders and nearly half have received a notice to configure their cars. Nearly all of the res holders at the after-party for Get Amped planned to go ahead with the purchase. I only know of one res holder on the map who has decided to hold off for the Gen3. I'd bet that nearly all of the 16 on the map and the 20 in the AZ Club will purchase the cars.

Tesla Motors at the Scottsdale mall

Tesla Motors at the Scottsdale mall

tesla_1_az.jpg

Larry

I wonder if this is something that Tesla can resolve or something that res holders need to address with our state representatives. I'm outraged, but am also aware that Arizona's unique brand of politics has been the subject of national attention.

If we need to organize, it would be helpful if Tesla could facilitate our connection with one another.

Y'all need to send this picture to your state reps and state senators. The only way around this is to change the law.

I'm sure that it would be easy to craft a change to the law that was narrow enough to appease the existing dealers. For example: "The provisions of Section [number of current law re dealers] shall apply only to car manufacturers who produce vehicles powered by gasoline or diesel fuel."

I agree that this law is total nonsense. As a workaround for this, maybe the reps in AZ stores can't sell the cars, but what's to prevent them from loaning out iPads to every customer who can then put down a deposit on-line? If anyone is interested in getting the law changed, I'm interested.

If anyone has strong political connections or knows someone who does, that's the way in I think. Best is to get some language stuck as a rider on some larger bill that no hardly anyone reads to closely that accomplishes your goal.

Just got this regarding the dealer license issue:

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the email. We are well into the process of obtaining an AZ dealer license. Until the dealer license is received, all sales are considered California sales. There is no difference to the end user as you will always pay AZ taxes and fees.

Regards,
Ross Rubman | Inside Sales Manager
3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
p 650.681.5083 | f 650.681.5101 | e [email protected]
http://www.teslamotors.com/

If anyone has strong political connections or knows someone who does, that's the way in I think. Best is to get some language stuck as a rider on some larger bill that no hardly anyone reads to closely that accomplishes your goal.

As I remember hearing at the Houston store, they are working on getting an exemption from that law. Wether or not that holds true for other states remains to be seen. (since Joost's post, I can infer that they got an exemption for Texas for at the very least service centers.)

As I remember hearing at the Houston store, they are working on getting an exemption from that law. Wether or not that holds true for other states remains to be seen. (since Joost's post, I can infer that they got an exemption for Texas for at the very least service centers.)
I was in Houston this week and called the Galleria store to see if they had any test drive vehicles. They can't offer test drives yet (not even to out-of-state reservation holders), but the rep I spoke with was optimistic that they were cutting through the various strands of red tape that would allow them to operate as a full store in the coming months.

I am guessing by now everyone who was at meet and greet got their finalize your order email. Has everyone finalized and have the tentative delivery date assigned?

I am little bummed about the warranty cost and now the SC setup on 60kw batteries. I am undecided on SC and looking for input from AZ folks? Any thoughts on how beneficial it would be for us and when SC network be available in AZ?

I am guessing by now everyone who was at meet and greet got their finalize your order email. Has everyone finalized and have the tentative delivery date assigned?

I am little bummed about the warranty cost and now the SC setup on 60kw batteries. I am undecided on SC and looking for input from AZ folks? Any thoughts on how beneficial it would be for us and when SC network be available in AZ?

I was not at the meet-n-greet in Scottsdale but I did finalize my order. I went to the LA test drive at the SpaceX facility. P3001 with a Nov/Dec delivery date.

All of this was signed off before Musk announced that they are behind in production and the stock took a dive...again. I don't know if I'll get mine this year or not.

Does anybody have any updated delivery information posted after the Musk production update?

hello, in phoenix, AZ. been visiting teslamotors.com for years but never knew about this site til tonight. haha. put $5k reservation down on a roadster in summer 2008. transferred it to the model S a couple yrs later. and transferred it to the model X when i saw that.

I have serious doubts about the value of delivery date estimates given the current suppler problems, but was originally given a November and now have a Nov-Dec estimate (P1312). I'm also not happy about the annual service fees, but pleased that TM has reversed itself on the charge for SCing software/testing for folks who have configured 60kW battery cars.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know anything about your status related to the Superchanging option, but received this two days ago:
"We are going to waive the entire fee to enable Supercharging on your 60 kWh Model S. You will now receive free, unlimited Supercharging on your car at no additional cost. We apologize for the confusion."

This may only refer to the people who have already configured their cars as I did in August (P1312). I doubt that everyone in AZ has configured their cars. Some of the Arizona res holders have P# above 11000, but most are under 3500. Still hard to know how many Model S res holders are in AZ, but I'm guessing 60-80 based upon attendance at events.

hello, in phoenix, AZ. been visiting teslamotors.com for years but never knew about this site til tonight. haha. put $5k reservation down on a roadster in summer 2008. transferred it to the model S a couple yrs later. and transferred it to the model X when i saw that.
Welcome to the site Matt! If you wait another year or two you'll be able transfer your $5K reservation to the Gen3. Don't you ever want to get the car?:smile:

Welcome to the site Matt! If you wait another year or two you'll be able transfer your $5K reservation to the Gen3. Don't you ever want to get the car?:smile:

True Tesla enthusiast -> 5+ years interest free loan to Tesla :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know anything about your status related to the Superchanging option, but received this two days ago:
"We are going to waive the entire fee to enable Supercharging on your 60 kWh Model S. You will now receive free, unlimited Supercharging on your car at no additional cost. We apologize for the confusion."

This may only refer to the people who have already configured their cars as I did in August (P1312). I doubt that everyone in AZ has configured their cars. Some of the Arizona res holders have P# above 11000, but most are under 3500. Still hard to know how many Model S res holders are in AZ, but I'm guessing 60-80 based upon attendance at events.

I didn't configure my car before this SC debacle so unfortunately I am stuck with $2k bill if I want SC. Like many posters mentioned on Tesla Forums, they should have extended this to all who have reserved the car and not just ones who were done configuring the car.

Mark - Are you getting 85KW or 60KW car?

Last edited:
Alright, my paperwork is finished - had to do it on my iPhone from the Serengeti on an edge connection but no problems. My status is factory is building. Delivery is in November. My paperwork said 9.5% sales tax. Does AZ still have a lower tax for EV vehicles? P130 model s performance/brown/tan/CF/pano roof/21-inch silver.

Just wondering on status of your car - Delivery still in Nov?