Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how long you been parked there? Came back today and there's a white MS in one spot and a Volt in the other. Very frustrating as Blink app sowed one available. So over to terminal 3 again.

Yes, I've been there. I apologize, I had to extend my trip by a couple days rather than just an overnight. If I had expected a longer trip, I would've parked off-site at one of those places where you can trickle-charge on a 120.

Charging Stations at Scottsdale Quarter

Just so everyone is aware, there are now free charging stations in both garages at Scottsdale Quarter. I think you enter on the back side (east side) of the garages and almost drive up to the second level. It's provided by Volta.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question for owners. We were at the Tesla store yesterday and spoke to an associate who mentioned the Arizona incentive. I wanted to verify something stated. What is the cost of tags annually? It was implied that the incentive makes it around $50 for EV owners. Typically, it would have been around $800. Is that correct? If so, does that continue long-term? Thanks for any help.

Just so everyone is aware, there are now free charging stations in both garages at Scottsdale Quarter. I think you enter on the back side (east side) of the garages and almost drive up to the second level. It's provided by Volta.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question for owners. We were at the Tesla store yesterday and spoke to an associate who mentioned the Arizona incentive. I wanted to verify something stated. What is the cost of tags annually? It was implied that the incentive makes it around $50 for EV owners. Typically, it would have been around $800. Is that correct? If so, does that continue long-term? Thanks for any help.

Yes, the annual Vehicle License Tax in AZ for EVs is much lower than conventional vehicles. For reference, for an $80k ICE in AZ, it would likely cost more about $1000 per year for 5 years. When I reg'd my $80k MS for 5 years, my TOTAL bill was $117. So, $5000 vs. $117.

Big incentive that lots of people don't know about. Plus, you wouldn't even be able to do a 5-year all at once due to the emissions inspections. None of that needed for the MS, so my sticker is good til 2018.

Yes, that's correct: Registration and taxes are about $50 or less. I think I paid about $150 for 5 years of registration. It depends on the retail value of your EV. This is currently the law and there is no end in the foreseeable future, but just to be safe, I would recommend taking the 5 year registration option.

Yes, that's correct: Registration and taxes are about $50 or less. I think I paid about $150 for 5 years of registration. It depends on the retail value of your EV. This is currently the law and there is no end in the foreseeable future, but just to be safe, I would recommend taking the 5 year registration option.

That's what I paid. Definitely register for five years.

Thank you araxara and thranx for your response. That is amazing. We'll have to keep it in mind on a decision to purchase. The other question I have for you and others is regarding insurance costs. Are they pretty steep? Or have any of you found a company that charges decent rates?

Thank you araxara and thranx for your response. That is amazing. We'll have to keep it in mind on a decision to purchase. The other question I have for you and others is regarding insurance costs. Are they pretty steep? Or have any of you found a company that charges decent rates?

I can't answer for others, but we are paying about $100 per month, with 1000 deductible, single car, bundled with house. Trading the Model S for our old car did not change our rates.

We are with an independent insurance company.

Just to remind you, insurers tend to increase your rates until you go shopping. New buyers often get better deals, so just shopping around, you can usually save "15% in 15 minutes". My independent insurer has not raised my rates appreciably, despite some hefty claims (that were picked up in Florida, a "no fault" state).

YMMV.

Paying 145/month for my MS and Volt with 500 deductible. The MS is actually less than the Volt.

Having trouble figuring out the taxes situation in AZ. Do you pay sales taxes on a Tesla, or not?

Here's my situation. Have an address in both TX and AZ, and a '15 P90DL I'm possibly going to trade in for a new MS with ventilated seats in AZ. The '15's trade-in value will be less than the cost of the new car, but within a few thousand dollars.

Taxes on a car in TX are 6.25%. I can recapture the taxes already paid, for the most part, as one gets credit for trade-ins in Texas, but to recapture the massive check I wrote for sales taxes ($8k or $9k?) I'd obviously have to trade the car in to Tesla, BUT, Tesla has a long history of shorting the value on trade-in Teslas (which is remarkably short-sighted, but that's sure to be another thread).

Should I buy the MS replacement in AZ and title/tag it in AZ, or TX? Should I private party sell the P90DL in Texas and just forget how much I spent in sales taxes?

I have an address in both states, and the new will probably end up in AZ.

Key question I guess: I'm gathering there are almost no sales taxes on a Tesla in AZ?

If so, then it's almost a no brainer to private party sell my P90D in Texas and forgo the sales tax benefit trade in benefit since it would be wasted on the "no sales tax" AZ policy anyway?

Call me Confused!

Hmm. I just read in another post that there are State, County and City taxes on buying a Tesla?!?

Details please, especially on the tax rate for various cities. Ouch!
Yes, there is a sales tax which is based on your address. So whatever address you will use to register the car, will be used for the tax rate (around 8% for most places). You mentioned a possible trade-in, which in AZ can be used to reduce the taxable amount. You will need to see if the money lost in trade-in offsets some of the tax you would pay without it.

I don't know where the official website that has all the tax rates is located, but you can enter your zip code on the following page to calculate your tax rate: Sales tax calculator for the United States in 2017

Thanks! Remarkably informative, and from other posts I've found out that it's probably best to just tag it here in Texas for now.

There's a bigger problem, however: Tesla Remarketing just cost Tesla yet another sale. They are clueless. Starting a new thread on the subject.

I registered my car in November, and paid 5.6% (AZ state sales tax) at purchase. I'm told that Gilbert is going to send me a bill for the County + city tax, but they haven't yet. I have the money set aside but am surprised the bill hasn't come yet. What is a typical turnaround time, it's starting to make me antsy.

I took delivery of my P85 on 3/24/14. I registered it with the Arizona MVD on 4/22/14. There was a line item on the registration for "Dept of Revenue" that was 5.6% of the list price. Ten months later (1/21/15) I received a bill from the City of Phoenix for a 2.0% "Phoenix use tax". The City of Phoenix bill acknowledged that the "Arizona use tax" had already been collected. I have not received a bill from Maricopa County. I'm guessing that the term "use tax" is used because Tesla cannot sell vehicles in Arizona, so the term "sales tax" is not appropriate.

Anyway know if 2017 Arizona legislative efforts to impose a state tax on electric vehicles equivalent to the gas tax on ICEs is dead? SB1146 was sailing through the Senate but has now been held. Of course, even if that bill is dead I realize some other bill could be gutted at the last minute to add this new fee.

One of the bill's legislative sponsors, a Tesla owner, stated that he felt it was unfair that he didn't pay gas taxes. Hopefully he'll sell his Tesla soon before he snags all of us in his guilt trip net. What's really odd is that the Arizona Legislature is run by a membership that only Breitbart could love --and they normally won't even talk about tax increases. Fingers crossed.

I took delivery of my P85 on 3/24/14. I registered it with the Arizona MVD on 4/22/14. There was a line item on the registration for "Dept of Revenue" that was 5.6% of the list price. Ten months later (1/21/15) I received a bill from the City of Phoenix for a 2.0% "Phoenix use tax". The City of Phoenix bill acknowledged that the "Arizona use tax" had already been collected. I have not received a bill from Maricopa County. I'm guessing that the term "use tax" is used because Tesla cannot sell vehicles in Arizona, so the term "sales tax" is not appropriate.
The usual case is that a sales tax applies if the selling entity is located in the sales tax area (state, county, municipality, depending on which jurisdiction is applying the sales tax). A use tax applies based on the delivery or home location of property being taxed. Many taxing authorities apply a "sales and use tax" to capture both sales within as well as property purchased outside the area. A pure "sales tax" wouldn't apply to a car purchased out of the county or municipality even if your home location is in the county or municipality.

It appears from your description that both the state of Arizona and the City of Phoenix have use taxes on cars; perhaps Maricopa County does not? My state also has a use tax but my county has only a pure sales tax, so I don't pay the latter on car purchases (there are no car dealers in my tiny county, so there is never any sales tax on car purchases here).

FWIW.