Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what I received from Tesla today.
  • Increased incentive of $300 per kWh of storage capacity, up to a max of $3,600 will be effective on May 1, 2019.
  • Customers whose applications have been approved, but yet to be installed will qualify for the increased incentive of $3,600 as long as they are commissioned after May 1, 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz and Darwin
I signed contracts for the PowerWall and solar with Sun Valley Solar Solutions (in Chandler) last June. The solar was installed in July and the PowerWall was installed in February. The solar and battery were two separate contracts and completely independent installs due to the PowerWall backlog at the time. I signed up for the $1,800 (at the time) battery incentive online on the SRP site, and Sun Valley handled all scheduling and coordination from there with Tesla and SRP. I would certainly consider talking with Sun Valley if you're looking to update your current system.

As I mentioned, the PowerWall is working well for my needs, but I'm expecting it to work even better with new SRP E-15 Customer Generation Average Demand Price Plan coming in May. Just as with the E-27 plan, it also appears that the E-15 pricing is designed to scare solar customers away, but at least there are multiple draconian and punitive rate structure options to choose from now. I'm jealous that you are grandfathered in to the old SRP rates. The PowerWall software currently appears better suited for that old TOU rate structure.

Thanks, I'll look them up and see if they can help out. I did see that they will finally have choices for solar customers which is a nice change.

That was nearly a year ago. Would have expected more movement. Perhaps the sales force is lean and they aren't doing residential so much anymore?

There were 2 parts to the suit. That was Part 1, and was the easier part so I was told. Maybe Part 2 is closing in now.

So if I were to model the 4KW+PW for $18.4K ($11.9K after Fed/State tax credits), do I also sign up for the SRP incentive? What's the best workflow to take advantage of Tesla's Solar sale and SRP's rebate?

The PW is $7.8K at Tesla.com, maybe the overall system is more like $8K after SRP's incentives. Seems like a no brainer.

There were 2 parts to the suit. That was Part 1, and was the easier part so I was told. Maybe Part 2 is closing in now.

So if I were to model the 4KW+PW for $18.4K ($11.9K after Fed/State tax credits), do I also sign up for the SRP incentive? What's the best workflow to take advantage of Tesla's Solar sale and SRP's rebate?

The PW is $7.8K at Tesla.com, maybe the overall system is more like $8K after SRP's incentives. Seems like a no brainer.
They just reached out to me. Initial call was, "Oh, you are in SRP territory? We will call you back after May 1st." So I actually did get a call back, but I missed the call and will report back with what they have to say.

OK - I was told to basically go online and apply for solar and powerwalls.
After I took a stab at how many KW of panels and how many powerwall units I will need, I paid the refundable $95.
Then I went to my Tesla account and took a lot of pictures - power meter, heat pump labels, garage, fuse box, last power bill showing monthly usage over the past year or two, etc, etc., and then I uploaded them (group at a time).
This saves the cost of hiring a guy/gal to come out and take those pictures.
Now they take a look at what I requested and will suggest a system and give me an official quote.

Federal Discounts:
4 KW solar 10600 - 3180 = 7420
you can scale that up in multiples of 4 KW upto a max of 4 systems (16 KW) - discount scales too
They say each 4 KW system provides ~18 KWh daily on average (or 30 * 18 = 540 KWh per month)

Powerwall (unit costs)
1st unit: 7800 - 2340 = 5460
2nd unit: 7800-2100=5700
3rd unit: 7800-2100=5700
4th unit: 7800-2100=5700

I'm not sure why the first unit has an extra $240 discount.

State Discounts:
$1000 for buying anything offered
Doesn't scale up - $1000 and that is what you get.

Next, they will design a system and then contact me and discuss their proposed design.
Glad I didn't pay money for some person to come out and upload pictures.

I'll keep updating my progress.
I proposed 12 KW and 2 powerwalls, although they proposed to pair a powerwall with every 4 KW installed.
Perhaps I'll downsize to 8 KW, but I use between 1700 and 2300 KWh per month and want to cover as much of it as possible.
I'm also charging about 10 KWh on the model S daily, so that is a factor.

State Discounts:
$1000 for buying anything offered
Doesn't scale up - $1000 and that is what you get.
They probably designed it that way on purpose, to incentivize homeowners to buy as small an array as possible. Keep as much juice off the grid as possible and tie the consumer into a small array before the industry scales.
Next, they will design a system and then contact me and discuss their proposed design.
Glad I didn't pay money for some person to come out and upload pictures.
Be interested to hear how this goes with the new online process. The big savings isn't skipping the engineer visit, it's not having to deal with in-person sales. Unbeknownst to most homeowners, "customer acquisition" made up about 30%($4000-$8000) of SolarCity price tags in the past.

I think we'll quickly see the "take your own pictures" part of the process go away. It doesn't cost much more to have an engineer come out and do the full survey all at once. So long as you keep the sales people away, these lean prices should grow leaner regardless.

Good luck and thanks for the updates!

Placed my order on May 1st for SRP area, now the waiting begins for my 4kw system, Powerwall and $3600 check from SRP. Anyone heard the wait time on PW2?
How long did it take to get your system designed after putting down your $99? Were there any items in it you didn't expect or were pleasantly surprised about? Did they offer larger systems and let you choose between more than one option?

How long did it take to get your system designed after putting down your $99? Were there any items in it you didn't expect or were pleasantly surprised about? Did they offer larger systems and let you choose between more than one option?
They are coming today to do site assessment, hoping to get designs/ proposal within next week. Friend of mine just got his and Tesla was charging $4200 for Powerwall install with various electrical upgrades. Lol

I asked for a config with 12 K solar and 2 powerwalls. Now I'm asking them what my savings would be if I had no power walls or 1 power wall, and how about just 8 k solar? The system cost for me was going to be about $36 K after tax/rebates. I'd be saving about $2K per year after installation.
I've also asked them if they could move a few panels - not sure what they will say

I asked for a config with 12 K solar and 2 powerwalls. Now I'm asking them what my savings would be if I had no power walls or 1 power wall, and how about just 8 k solar? The system cost for me was going to be about $36 K after tax/rebates. I'd be saving about $2K per year after installation.
I've also asked them if they could move a few panels - not sure what they will say
If you want a spreadsheet to calculate your ROI let me know, I found the reps at tesla to be clueless. They tried selling my friend a 123% offset system. Most people should shoot for 40-60% offset for the best savings.