Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hows the batteries going? whats the savings on your power bill?

Not received the first bill yet, but I expect my utility credit to offset most of my solar loan payment! My per kWh cost from the grid is cheaper than what they pay me for excess solar generation. So, I am motivated to sell as much solar power as I can to the grid.

I have set my Powerwall to supply only 5% of stored energy to power the home. Most of my on-peak time is powered by solar. After solar generation stops, I pull in battery power until they are down to 95%. After that, I pull in from the grid.

I saw that. I ended up turning off storm watch so that I did not end up with a demand fee if it happened again and the walls were not full.
I've done the same. At least in my area we have so few power outages that I'm more concerned about the potential peak-window (expensive demand charge) grid draw to top the batteries. If it's a weekend, hot summer time, and monsoons are coming I turn it back for the weekend (all off-peak) to make sure I have AC but that's about the only time I think to turn Storm watch back on.

I've done the same. At least in my area we have so few power outages that I'm more concerned about the potential peak-window (expensive demand charge) grid draw to top the batteries. If it's a weekend, hot summer time, and monsoons are coming I turn it back for the weekend (all off-peak) to make sure I have AC but that's about the only time I think to turn Storm watch back on.
I also turned off my storm watch. Red flag warnings are not a concern for me in our area. For the monsoon season, I will turn it back on.

Reactions: JayClark
I put my 3 PW in garage because I didn’t want them outside in direct sun. I received my first full month utility in March and it was $11.73. Only reason it wasn’t negative was due to the $32.44 monthly service fee SRP charges. I over produced enough to offset two thirds of fee. April may offset all of it unless need to start using AC more toward end of month.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Hello-

i need some advice. I am not having any luck getting project advisor to respond to my questions. I just keep getting automated texts that i need to complete the online applications and upload HOA approval.

tesla has asked me to sign three different SRP applications. One with battery and two without battery. Is this normal?

I also asked them a question posed by my HOA, who wont proceed with the design review till i show them an email response from Tesla.

it’s been three weeks since i placed the order for panel + battery.

Hello-

i need some advice. I am not having any luck getting project advisor to respond to my questions. I just keep getting automated texts that i need to complete the online applications and upload HOA approval.

tesla has asked me to sign three different SRP applications. One with battery and two without battery. Is this normal?

I also asked them a question posed by my HOA, who wont proceed with the design review till i show them an email response from Tesla.

it’s been three weeks since i placed the order for panel + battery.
My local installer is now having to split the installation into two parts. Solar they can do in a reasonable time. The batteries they don't expect until November.
Re your HOA, in AZ they are required by ARS to approve your solar.
The Arizona Legislature passed ARS-33-439 in 1979 in order to protect individual homeowners private property rights to use solar energy.

My local installer is now having to split the installation into two parts. Solar they can do in a reasonable time. The batteries they don't expect until November.
Re your HOA, in AZ they are required by ARS to approve your solar.
The Arizona Legislature passed ARS-33-439 in 1979 in order to protect individual homeowners private property rights to use solar energy.
Got it.

Have you or anyone given thought about installing powerwalls on floor vs wall?

for me, it will be definitely in garage. I don’t want to loose flexibility to hose down the garage floor. How do you determine if wall has enough load bearing capacity?

I have mine in the garage. They are on a section of the floor that is about 2" higher than the area where I park the cars. I suggest you consider pouring a small pad that you can have them set on and be sure it is level. They still must be attached to the wall, but only to keep them from tipping over.

Has anyone received their tax credit for solar installation?
I believe it dropped to 18% this year if I remember right.
The finance company gave me 180 days to pay that tax credit or they raise my monthly bill. My system was installed in January.

I tried asking a tesla rep how long its supposed to take to get my tax credit but she just kept sighing on the phone and told me she didn't know (it sounded like I woke her up?)

How long did it take you guys to get yours, and what should I be looking out for?

Has anyone received their tax credit for solar installation?
I believe it dropped to 18% this year if I remember right.
The finance company gave me 180 days to pay that tax credit or they raise my monthly bill. My system was installed in January.

I tried asking a tesla rep how long its supposed to take to get my tax credit but she just kept sighing on the phone and told me she didn't know (it sounded like I woke her up?)

How long did it take you guys to get yours, and what should I be looking out for?
whats 18%? I thought ITC was 26%? Who is the tax credit from?

The federal tax credit was 26% last year and extended again for this year (instead of dropping to 22%). If the system was installed last year, then it should have been a line item (separate form?) in your 2020 taxes. Not sure how this is related to a finance company though, so perhaps something other than federal tax credit?

You're right, its 26%, my mistake. I didn't realize it was extended.

However the finance company has me paying 240/month. If I don't pay them the tax credit, then that will go up to 380/month.
If its filed with my taxes then that means I won't be getting my tax credit until next year after my bill has already gone up :/

However the finance company has me paying 240/month. If I don't pay them the tax credit, then that will go up to 380/month.
If its filed with my taxes then that means I won't be getting my tax credit until next year after my bill has already gone up :/
Was your install supposed to be completed in 2020? I thought most of these loan balloon payments were tied to tax day, and 180 days would make a bit more sense for something installing late in 2020. But as it stands, you will likely need to pay the increased amount, or, if you can work with the finance company, they might defer the increase, but I'm sure you will still accrue interest. If the install actually completed this year (and I am not necessarily talking about PTO, but when the installers finished putting everything in) then you will not get the credit until you file your 2021 taxes in 2022.

Reactions: charlesj

You may or may not get that tax credit back as it depends on the amount you will be contributing this years and what the taxes due with that credit applied.
If you over payed, you get a refund of course.
What you could do is ask the tax guy who prepared your 2020 tax and ask him how to reduce paying this years taxes by the Solar tax credit amount so you can have it sooner, this year.

Was your install supposed to be completed in 2020? I thought most of these loan balloon payments were tied to tax day, and 180 days would make a bit more sense for something installing late in 2020. But as it stands, you will likely need to pay the increased amount, or, if you can work with the finance company, they might defer the increase, but I'm sure you will still accrue interest. If the install actually completed this year (and I am not necessarily talking about PTO, but when the installers finished putting everything in) then you will not get the credit until you file your 2021 taxes in 2022.
It was supposed to be installed January 16th or so, but they installed on January 9th (though they didn't turn it on until March).

I made the $100 deposit last year around october