Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long have you been basically off grid at this point?

Well, that’s kind of a complicated answer. I first went off grid the day after the system was installed on 6/24 and I’ve essentially been off grid since then. However, I have reconnected to the grid for short periods to charge my car and when I had a couple of cloudy days so the powerwalls didn’t get a full charge and I was concerned about them potentially not making it through the night. I probably could have tried to cut back and conserve power to stay off grid, but it was easier to just reconnect for some of the night.

Looking at my backup history, my longest stretch being completely off grid was 172 hours and 3 minutes, which is just over 7 days. I had another stretch of 146 hours and 2 minutes, which is just over 6 days.

My system lifetime usage numbers are:

Total Home Usage: 2005kWh
Solar Generation: 1760kWh
Power From Grid: 404kWh

A couple of notes on this -

-I suspect at least 3/4 of the power from the grid was for car charging.

-1760kWh from solar + 404kWh from the grid = 2164kWh, which is 159kWh more than the house used. I suspect that this is energy that was lost to powerwall inefficiency and/or powerwall cooling.

-It shows that I used 726kWh from the powerwalls, so 159kWh is like 22% of that which seems high. This is the first time I looked at these numbers, so I’m not quite sure what to make of that.

-Some potential solar generation was lost. During bright sunny days the powerwalls will get fully charged in the afternoon and then they will raise the frequency to turn off the inverters since there is nowhere for this extra power to go. I try to pay attention and when I see this is going to happen I’ll plug in my car to put the extra power into the car, but there have been a few occasions where it happened sooner than I expected or the car wasn’t at the house and the inverters turned off anyway. If I had been connected to the grid it could have sent the excess power there. So my actual solar generation number could have been at least a little bit higher.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
-It shows that I used 726kWh from the powerwalls, so 159kWh is like 22% of that which seems high. This is the first time I looked at these numbers, so I’m not quite sure what to make of that.

So in thinking about this, I realized that some of that missing 159kWh is power that’s still in the powerwalls. The powerwalls were only at 19% when they were installed and at the time I checked those numbers they were at 90%. So 38kWh of the solar generation is currently in the powerwalls. (The four powerwalls hold 54kWh, so 71% of that is 38kWh.) That still leaves 121kWh unaccounted for though.

121kWh is about 16% of the power that’s been drawn from the powerwall. That’s closer to the expected 10% loss, but still a bit high.

I looked it up and it seems that batteries are not listed in the renewable energy sales tax exemption, so I think I may have been mistaken, and that I do in fact have to pay taxes on the powerwalls.

Another question - do you guys have the PWs installed in your garage? how are they holding up in the heat? Thanks!

No way you should be paying sales tax in Arizona for your powerwalls connected to solar system. Here is the actual tax exemption (see line 27 on page 4). I paid zero sales tax but purchased from local company that is more in tune with state tax laws and exemptions. https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/2r/bills/sb1229p.pdf

Also, I have two powerwalls in a hot garage with no issues.

Hello fellow, Arizonans!

Just started reading through this thread. Great info!

I have a question for the group RE: the viability of Powerwall for my situation.

I have a 6.867 kW system on my house. All are south facing. Roof space is maxed out on the main house. We have major shading issues from 3 giant flood irrigated ficus trees from my neighbor to the west, so my late afternoon output is not great. Main house is just under 2200 sq feet. There is a separate 900 ft guesthouse, which we rent to travel nurses. The main house and guesthouse are NOT separately metered so I can't really control our renters usage. Last year, we had two Model S's and an original Roadster we had to charge, although the latter was rarely driven. We're now down to a more reasonable Model 3 and Model S.

Anyway, annual system output is about 11,500 kWh. Originally estimated output was about 14,000 kWh. This is probably due to shading issues. Usage is about 20,500 kWh so we're at just under 56% offset. We pay all off peak rates. The system more than covers our on-peak needs.

I am grandfathered on net metering until 2034. I apparently cannot change my plan without losing net metering, so I have to remain on APS on peak hours of 12pm to 7pm until 2034.

So, I'm pleased I pay only off peak rates, but my bill still averaged $117/month in 2019. Would love to get to 100% offset, but that's not in the cards. APS will only let grandfathered net metered systems increase system size by 10% or 1 kW, whichever is greater. I was thinking of pulling a string of panels (327W Sunpower e-series), replacing with the enough of the new SunPower 400W panels to get my 1 kW increase, and then add a Powerwall or two, but does that even make any sense with net-metering? Since APS is giving me a 1:1 credit for whatever excess electricity is generated anyway and I don't pay any on-peak rates with the current system, other than having back-up power, is there any benefit to Powerwall for my situation?

Hello fellow, Arizonans!

Just started reading through this thread. Great info!

I have a question for the group RE: the viability of Powerwall for my situation.

I have a 6.867 kW system on my house. All are south facing. Roof space is maxed out on the main house. We have major shading issues from 3 giant flood irrigated ficus trees from my neighbor to the west, so my late afternoon output is not great. Main house is just under 2200 sq feet. There is a separate 900 ft guesthouse, which we rent to travel nurses. The main house and guesthouse are NOT separately metered so I can't really control our renters usage. Last year, we had two Model S's and an original Roadster we had to charge, although the latter was rarely driven. We're now down to a more reasonable Model 3 and Model S.

Anyway, annual system output is about 11,500 kWh. Originally estimated output was about 14,000 kWh. This is probably due to shading issues. Usage is about 20,500 kWh so we're at just under 56% offset. We pay all off peak rates. The system more than covers our on-peak needs.

I am grandfathered on net metering until 2034. I apparently cannot change my plan without losing net metering, so I have to remain on APS on peak hours of 12pm to 7pm until 2034.

So, I'm pleased I pay only off peak rates, but my bill still averaged $117/month in 2019. Would love to get to 100% offset, but that's not in the cards. APS will only let grandfathered net metered systems increase system size by 10% or 1 kW, whichever is greater. I was thinking of pulling a string of panels (327W Sunpower e-series), replacing with the enough of the new SunPower 400W panels to get my 1 kW increase, and then add a Powerwall or two, but does that even make any sense with net-metering? Since APS is giving me a 1:1 credit for whatever excess electricity is generated anyway and I don't pay any on-peak rates with the current system, other than having back-up power, is there any benefit to Powerwall for my situation?

I would say if you're already covering all your On-Peak hours, I'm guessing your main benefit would primarily be just for back-up power. I have enough Powerwall to offset some of my off-peak hours, but I've chosen never to use the PWs to cover off-peak just because the minimal off-peak savings are so small, it's not worth the extra cycles on the PW from a longevity point of view, and not worth the round trip efficiency losses of charging the PW at a ~10% loss, and then to regurgitate that power again at about a ~10% loss to cover off-peak usage, for off-peak that is already extremely cheap.

I'm in SRP territory and we're at about $4.12 cents off off-peak hours, but if your generatlion plan rates are similar and your off-peak coverage needs is roughly 27kWh/day (10000/year divided 365 days), it would seem to indicate you would need two PWs to completely offset your remaining usage. 2 PWs at $7500 each (15k total), I can't remember if that includes the install costs, those might be another 1-2k. So the pay-off could be around 36 years (on 2 PWs that have 10 year warranties: (15000/(0.0412*10000)=36 years). Also, for SRP, the solar generation plan has a higher base service fee of $32 regardless, even if I use zero hours on/off-peak.

In the future I may add more solar, to take advantage of the 1:1 offset for covering off-peak usage/costs, but I wouldn't add more PWs to accomplish that. Sounds like in your scenario you don't have a great way to add significantly more solar.

• Helpful
Reactions: shrink
round trip efficiency losses of charging the PW at a ~10% loss, and then to regurgitate that power again at about a ~10% loss

For what it’s worth, the powerwalls have a 90% round trip efficiency rating. So you would only lose a total of 10% for the round trip, not the 20% you were thinking. I do still agree that it’s probably not worth using the powerwalls to cover your off peak usage.

For what it’s worth, the powerwalls have a 90% round trip efficiency rating. So you would only lose a total of 10% for the round trip, not the 20% you were thinking. I do still agree that it’s probably not worth using the powerwalls to cover your off peak usage.

I can only tell you what I’m actually measuring on my system in great detail. It’s closer to 10+% in each direction (20% total) at the end of each day during the summer when they get used the most. Maybe this has something to do with our 105-110 weather and the PW having to spend more energy on fans and cooling - I’m not sure, but it’s what I’ve measured regardless of what any spec on paper says.

It’s also what it calculates out to be based on Teslas own app when I check the delta between what goes in/out of the PW each day, and cross-checking against solar produced and how much goes to the PW vs toward powering the home.

I kind of thought the batteries would like the heat, but when I run my mini-split AC in my garage/workshop to cool it off (where the PW are) because I’m out there working, I’ve noticed the PW fans are almost not audible, but when the garage is at normal high summer temps, the fans on those four PWs are really working hard and are quite loud.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I can only tell you what I’m actually measuring on my system in great detail. It’s closer to 10+% in each direction (20% total) at the end of each day during the summer when they get used the most. Maybe this has something to do with our 105-110 weather and the PW having to spend more energy on fans and cooling - I’m not sure, but it’s what I’ve measured regardless of what any spec on paper says.

It’s also what it calculates out to be based on Teslas own app when I check the delta between what goes in/out of the PW each day, and cross-checking against solar produced and how much goes to the PW vs toward powering the home.

I kind of thought the batteries would like the heat, but when I run my mini-split AC in my garage/workshop to cool it off (where the PW are) because I’m out there working, I’ve noticed the PW fans are almost not audible, but when the garage is at normal high summer temps, the fans on those four PWs are really working hard and are quite loud.
I think you are right that cooling accounts for the difference. However, I think some - and possibly the same - amount of cooling would occur whether or not you are actively using the PWs to power your home, so I would separate it out as two issues - one is the 10% round-trip loss related to storing the energy in the PW and the second is the energy consumed by the PWs for their operations, which includes cooling as well as its basic operation.

Since I don't have TOU pricing, I keep my PWs fully charged (gets up to 99.x%) and I do lose charge (close to 1%) daily, so every day or two, a bit of solar is used to top off the batteries. That is a cost of having the PWs, and it seems that applies whether or not the PWs are used to power the home or not. Right now, having used my PWs for a few months (prior to PTO) to run off-grid and now keeping them fully charged, it looks like my overall efficiency is currently sitting at 84% (accounting for the need to charge my PWs the first time, which is significant in my case.) Given my plan is to not use the PWs except during outages, my expectation is the efficiency number will drop since it should mostly not be supplying energy.

can anyone give me an idea of how much total wall space will be needed? my rep is not helpful in providing dimensions so far for clearances or the other equipment.

upload_2020-8-11_9-52-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-11_9-52-47.png
    upload_2020-8-11_9-52-47.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 53
  • upload_2020-8-11_9-52-51.png
    upload_2020-8-11_9-52-51.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 31
Thanks @BrettS! Very helpful!

I calculated for 3 PW side by side, I will need 118" min. width, and 63" height (assuming 6" bottom clearance; 12" top), plus another 36" height above the PWs where the GW & other equipment will go.

@dhskiracer71 Thanks so much for linking to the actual bill! I found both the relevant exemption & used it with the definition link you provided to ask my rep to remove the sales tax. For anyone else in the future...

ARS 42-5159 - Exemptions (42-5159 - Exemptions) - Paragraph E states that "solar energy devices" are not subject to sales tax.
"E. The tax levied by this article does not apply to the purchase of solar energy devices from a retailer that is registered with the department as a solar energy retailer or a solar energy contractor."

The definition of "solar energy device" is found in paragraph 20 of ARS 42-5001 (42-5001 - Definitions):
20. "Solar energy device" means a system or series of mechanisms that are designed primarily to provide heating, to provide cooling, to produce electrical power, to produce mechanical power, to provide solar daylighting or to provide any combination of the foregoing by means of collecting and transferring solar generated energy into such uses either by active or passive means, including wind generator systems that produce electricity. Solar energy systems may also have the capability of storing solar energy for future use. Passive systems shall clearly be designed as a solar energy device, such as a trombe wall, and not merely as a part of a normal structure, such as a window.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I would say if you're already covering all your On-Peak hours, I'm guessing your main benefit would primarily be just for back-up power. I have enough Powerwall to offset some of my off-peak hours, but I've chosen never to use the PWs to cover off-peak just because the minimal off-peak savings are so small, it's not worth the extra cycles on the PW from a longevity point of view, and not worth the round trip efficiency losses of charging the PW at a ~10% loss, and then to regurgitate that power again at about a ~10% loss to cover off-peak usage, for off-peak that is already extremely cheap.

I'm in SRP territory and we're at about $4.12 cents off off-peak hours, but if your generatlion plan rates are similar and your off-peak coverage needs is roughly 27kWh/day (10000/year divided 365 days), it would seem to indicate you would need two PWs to completely offset your remaining usage. 2 PWs at $7500 each (15k total), I can't remember if that includes the install costs, those might be another 1-2k. So the pay-off could be around 36 years (on 2 PWs that have 10 year warranties: (15000/(0.0412*10000)=36 years). Also, for SRP, the solar generation plan has a higher base service fee of $32 regardless, even if I use zero hours on/off-peak.

In the future I may add more solar, to take advantage of the 1:1 offset for covering off-peak usage/costs, but I wouldn't add more PWs to accomplish that. Sounds like in your scenario you don't have a great way to add significantly more solar.
Short Answer:
Things are working out as calculated, for our 4.1kW PV and 4x Powerwall system. Some comparisons:
July 2020 Bill: $169.53; 2,883kWhr July 2019 Bill: $411.70; 3,410kWhr

Winter Bills (Dec-April) were around $45-70, where as previous years those months were 100-160. Our peak summer bills were close to $500 in one or two months last year. This year I'm expecting no bills over $190.

I'm calculating my break even point to be 4.6 years from when we installed our PW & PV system and it became truly operational last November, on a system that cost us $43k.

That's the short answer, but it not very informative in my opinion, but for more info on how I'm calculating our particular break even point and how I use the system, read on.
TLDR Answer:

A few factors changed significantly when considering our 2019/2020 July bill comparisons, we are in a much heavier usage scenario at our house as compared to last year, so if we did not have solar now, for this years July bill, a "no-solar" version of our bill would have been much closer to $500 or higher.
  • This year, my daughter and her spouse are living with us while they work on their masters degrees (and save for a house), we now have 4 people living/working 24/7 at hour house in 2020 since early march, COVID driving us all to be working at home full time, where as in 2020 it was only my wife and I and we worked outside of the home at least half the time during the weekdays, and usually we ate out together in the evenings somewhere around town with each other and/or friends, depending on where we were working, often not returning until after peak, so we'd have the AC slightly higher until then through much of the peak periods.
  • Also, for the last 3 weeks of our July bill we were driving full time on only electric since we added the Model Y to the garage (we love it!!), in addition to our existing Chevy Volt. In 2019, we only had the Volt, and it usually only got a single 12kWhr charge per day at most.
Even with heavier usage this year, we're on track to shave about $2000 off our annual $3000 SRP bill, even with much higher home living/usage and car charging. I'm estimating the SRP billing savings are conservatively more like $2500+ without solar if we added our extra usage this year to last years bill.

And that's before I account for the $3000+/year in truck gas ($65-75/week) that I don't buy anymore now that we've added the model Y and charge it at the extremely low SRP off peak rates. It's looking like the Model Y will only cost about $350 in electricity each year to run. So yeah, the Model Y is adding about $20/month to the electric bill I didn't have last year, but it's saving around $300+/month in gas we're not buying each month. We were going to be buying a new SUV for my wife no matter what, and were looking at slightly larger mid-sized SUVs in about the same cost range as the model Y, so that's all a wash as far as I'm concerned. The Model y is a good size for us.

Typical Solar/PV Usage Weekday Scenario:
July 7th was a fairly typical peak summer day in terms of usage, with mostly clear weather, and you can see (attached photos) we only used the PW during the SRP Peak period which has stiff "demand" penalties. We've been traveling for the last week, so those are not very typical days, so I had to go back to the 7th. So the PWs allow me to easily zero out any Peak usage while still keeping my 3700sqr ft home reasonably cool, I don't like being hot so we don't suffer in a warm house. At most we've had little 0.1 kWhrs "Peak" period blips for what ever reason, not sure what the PWs are doing when that occurs.

I only schedule the use of the PWs during peak periods, otherwise the SRP solar off peak rate is so low it's not worth the wear & tear on the PWs to cover off-peak home usage. In addition with the electric cars starting charging after Peak period, and AC's turning down to the "supercool" levels that I like in the evening, it means we're using up to 20kWhrs non stop for 1-2 hours immediately after the peak period, so at most we'd get an hour or less out of the PWs if I used them during off-peak. I'd rather save that 20-25k of reserve kWhrs for emergencies and/or to cover peak periods safely during a series of cloudy days.

Most weekends I turn the PWS off after our Friday night peak period at about 40% SOC, and turn them back on Sunday night or Monday morning - that results in 104 days each year that I'm not cycling the PWs at all (52*2). That should result in significant PW life extension, and value/investment extension. So on weekends all solar goes to power the house, or goes back to the grid for a 1:1 offpeak credit. This also avoids the expected round trip losses to/from the PW on the weekends. If we're traveling and I can't physically turn them off on the weekend, I just set the PWs to balanced mode on the weekends with a target reserve of 45%, and the PW will generally in the summer never peak much higher than 55%, and end the day at my set level of 45% reserve as it powers the house first, and then sends any extra to the PW through out the day, only drawing down to 45%. Again, this minimize depth of charge cycles and cycling losses, while keeping the lithium batteries in their optimal cycle depth range for capacity loss purposes.

An Example Normal Daily Usage Scenario: On a day that hit 106 degrees, during peak (see attached photos) we drained 19kWhr during our SRP 2-8pm utility peak period and used NO grid power, mostly just cooling the house to keep it reasonably comfortable, 2 AC units, 3 zones in the house. Without AC we would have only used about 4-5kWhrs during that peak period as I turn just about everything else off via home automation (Hubitat and Smartthings) during peak periods. As you can see we used 19.4 from the PW and were able to fill it with 20.8kWr before the peak period, at which time the solar started powering the house, and only adding a trickle to the batteries after 2pm as the production starts dropping pretty fast down for us after about 3-4pm. Total solar production was 26kW, so about 6kWhr went directly to powering the house during the day after the PWs hit my target SOC, and during the peak period.

Again, this is for 4 adults living/working 24/7, in a 3700 square foot house. Also, I have a 3rd AC unit on my garage, that cools about 1000 square feet of garage, but mostly I don't cool that during the peak periods - so all that power usage for the shop is just using off peak power 3-4 days a week including mostly weekends.

PV Production can go as high as 28kW on rare and unusually cool summer days, but with our heat over 109ish most days now, it's usually around 25-26 of production at most as the heat noticeably reduces production.​

Cloudy Days and PW sizing:
We did have a cloudy day last week, and production dropped to ~15kWhrs for the day, and on the very rare dark day I've seen production get as low as 8-10kWhrs, but that's happened once since November. It is exactly because of these cloudy days, and because of monsoon season here in Phx that I wanted to insure I had 4PWs to handle our summer AC peak needs across multiple cloudy days, and have just enough Solar PV production to fill them enough to handle my SRP peak periods with reasonable AC usage during those peaks. As eliminating peak usage is were 90% of my savings and return on investment come from. So right now most days I have the PW settings set in such a way that by the time my peak period hits at 2pm the PW is hitting around 80-85% SOC at most, at which point I have it configured (via @Darwins smarthings app) to start powering the house but continue sending any left over PV to the PW, in this scenario often the system will often add another 5% to the PWs from the remaining PV after powering the house until PV ramps down for the day. When the forecast shows cloudy days coming, I reconfigure the system to charge up to 95+% leading up to the cloud days to maximize buffer for upcoming cloudy days.

Normally, on clear days the PWs are draining down to around 50-60% from my target peak SOC of 80-90% each day during my peak week day periods. However, if we have (for example) two or three cloudy days in a row, I might only get back to 80% SOC the first cloudy day, and it will drain down to ~50% SOC by end of that first cloud day peak period, and on the 2nd cloud day I might only get back to a high 70% SOC and by the end of the 2nd cloudy peak day I might be at ~40% drain-down, and with 3 cloudy days I'd probably drain down ton 30%, and so on.

Ideally, in normal operation I like the idea of having 30-40+% capacity remaining (so about 20kWrs total in the 4xPWs) for emergency backup, or to handle say 3 or 4 cloud days in a row during the week. So far the system is behaving essentially as I had modeled, actually slightly better, but I'm program/project manager in my day job, so I usually estimate and model pessimistically. I thought once temps regularly hit around 110 each day, I'd be falling behind by 5-10% each day and would have to catch up on the weekends, but it turns out if weather is clear, we're usually restoring what we use each day to the PWs with a little left over to power the house directly from the PVs before diving into fully powering the house on only the PWs during the peak period.​

Could I have done this with 3 PWs & thoughts on PW Cycle depth?

Yes, I think I could have! But....

I probably could have accomplished all this with only 3 PWs, and seen essentially the same savings, but with just a bit more risk having less capacity "margin". Also, I could make all this easier by allowing the system to charge to 100% everyday and not need custom automation do keep the PWs in my prefered 30-75% SOC range most days. However, I've worked with DIY lithium batteries extensively (mostly 18650s and larger format flat package batteries) over the years for my own hobby/projects, RC cards and planes, started to build an electric car, etc - and I know that keeping the the usage of these batteries in the 30-75% SOC window can potentially double the life of the batteries based on my actual experience. Given my experience, I had a hard time not spec'ing my system to allow me to do this during normal usage with the PWs. The side benefit being also having some significant back-up capacity on all but the most rare weeks where we have lots of cloudiness.

Also, strangely, the money I'd have saved on only buying 3 PWs but the same amount of solar would have reduced my 4.6 year pay-back period by only about 10-12 months.... but I'd be working the 3 PWs much more extensively across their full SOC/capacity range, I'd have little or no "left-over" capacity for emergency back-up on a daily basis, and based on my experience I'd be reducing the life of the PWs on what is a relatively large investment. For less than a year of additional payback period I can potentially can add up to 5 years, maybe more, to their 10 warrantied life.

There are no guarantees, but I've seen the difference between batteries worked hard daily, and those that are managed more carefully, and it's an overwhelming difference.

Will I get more PV capacity (beyond our current 4.1kW system):
Maybe. I do financial analysis almost every day as part of my job calculating ROI on development investment opportunities, and then working with program teams to execute on those plans. And I can't help doing the same in my own life. So if I take my investment of $43k for the 4.1k PV system, and 4xPWs, break even is in about 5 years if I were to sell my house - since the system adds around 50% the cost of the system to the value of the home, up to about $20k. It seems home buyers won't calculate much more value add than about $20k even for very expensive systems (wife is in a Realtor). (Per year savings $2000bill savings+$3000gas savings+20k added home value). We all know the value, but there are limits. Just like somebody's 100k pool might be worth it to them, but to most buyers they'll only add 20-30k at most for the value of the pool, no matter how much it cost originally. So, my ROI focus is on when do I effectively get my money back, break even, if for any reason I need to sell this house that I otherwise plan to retire in. The answer, based on our actual observed savings since last October is 4.6 years or less from when I installed the system.

Beyond the base system we already installed, right now the better payoff for us is to send every extra dollar toward paying off our house mortgage, before spending another 12k adding solar. So I'm going to wait a couple years, and see how much progress we make on paying down our mortgage, and maybe by then solar prices will have come down more too, and we'll look into adding more solar because I still think it's the right thing to do, and the idea of getting closer to zero annual electric bill is attractive to me. But for now, with off peak Solar plan rates around 4cents/kWhrs the payoff for that additional solar becomes a much longer time frame. I think that adding 8k of solar costs about $12k (after tax incentives), so it would take about 18 years to break even on since I'd only be offsetting my offpeak usage (at under 4cents per kWhr) as my on-peak usage is already at zero, and it really won't effectively add much more value to the house than what the base system already adds (just purely from a real estate resale point of view).

I would love to add the PV, just because I do think it's the "right" and responsible thing to do for my defendants and those that come after us, but I'm also near retirement and need to be practical, and focus on eliminating all my monthly costs & bills by the time I turn in my retirement resignation some 5-10 years from now. Our initial solar was definitely part of reducing those costs, but the payback was more immediate, and ongoing, since I didn't finance or lease the system.
How Would I configure Additional Solar? (if I ever added it)
One last thought, I think if I added more solar, I wouldn't want/need any of that solar going to the PWs to charge them any faster. They are already operating in the ideal range covering all of our Peak usage needs with some buffer at all times already. So if I added Solar, I'd want it to only go toward powering the house first, and any additional be sent to the grid for a 1:1 credit offset for my off-peak power usage since I'm already more than covering 100% of my peak coverage for the entire year.

I'm not sure if I added 4 or 8kWs of PV, if Tesla and SRP would allow the additional 8kW of PV (over and above my existing 4.1k) to only go to the house or as feedback to SRP for credit. I kind of think the way they have it setup with the meters, I'd be required to configure it to go the PW first, and I don't want or need the PWs charging at a faster/higher rate - it's optimal for longevity and wear & tear to charge them only at the minimal rate needed to achieve capacity for covering 100% of our peak needs, which is already occurring with our 4.1kW PV system.

But I vaguely recall reading somewhere Tesla can set that max charge rate, so if they can do that, maybe the point it mute.​

Jay, been reading your posts, you seem extremely knowledgeable and learning quite a bit hence our question to you.

We're about to embark down the PV and PW road...4,100' home drawing about 35,000 kWh annually (primary culprits dual zone 5 ton 16 seer AC units to keep house at constant 74, model 3, pool/spa, and the usual assortment of electronics). Our goal is to be 90% self-sufficient and Tesla recommends a 17.68 kW, 3 Powerwall system with 53 panels mostly facing south and some west, estimated to produce 31,274 kWh annually.

Do we really need 3 Powerwalls to run house at night? Too many or not enough Powerwalls?

Appreciate your insights and thoughts.

Thank you.

Nick

Sorry for the direct posts, still learning this forum.

We're about to embark down the PV and PW road...4,100' home drawing about 35,000 kWh annually (primary culprits dual zone 5 ton 16 seer AC units to keep house at constant 74, model 3, pool/spa, and the usual assortment of electronics). Our goal is to be 90% self-sufficient and Tesla recommends a 17.68 kW, 3 Powerwall system with 53 panels mostly facing south and some west, estimated to produce 31,274 kWh annually.

Do we really need 3 Powerwalls to run house at night? Too many or not enough Powerwalls?

Appreciate insights and thoughts.

Sorry for the direct posts, still learning this forum.

Appreciate insights and thoughts.

Like a lot of things, the answer is ‘it depends’. If your goal is to have a whole house backup and be able to run your whole house through an extended gird outage, then I would say you need a bare minimum of 3 and likely more.

I have a 15.12kW solar system and 4 powerwalls. I used about 33,000 kWh, but I estimate that close to a third of that was for charging my Model S. I did a *lot* of driving last year. My system is enough to power my house pretty much indefinitely off gird, as long as I do very limited or no car charging.

When I operate off grid my 4 powerwalls will go from fully charged at about 7PM as the sun starts to dwindle down to around 50% at 7AM when the sun comes up again. However, if we have a rainy day and the powerwalls don’t get fully charged during the day, or it’s rainy in the afternoon and the powerwalls might need start powering the house as early as 3 or 4, then the powerwalls can get down to 25% by morning. I suspect that your house uses more power than mine, so you would likely use more power overnight as well.

On the other hand, if you just want to back up certain critical loads and/or are willing to cut way back on your power usage in the event of an extended outage then you might be able to get away with 3 powerwalls.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
Jay, been reading your posts, you seem extremely knowledgeable and learning quite a bit hence our question to you.

Appreciate your insights and thoughts.

Thank you.

Nick

That sounds about right to cover 90% of your usage on an annual basis. But just know you'll be using offset credits you generate in the winter because you'll have significantly more PV production in then winter than you can use on any given winter day or week, and in the summer you'll come up well short even with your system, but the winter grid credits should offset up to 90% of your annual production it sounds like. You should product 100-115kWrs/day in the summer and most of that will between 7:30am and 4:30pm. I'm also guessing many days in the summer you use up to, or over 160kWrs. So . With 3 Powerwalls though, a significant portion of your PV production will be fed back to the grid since you will fill the 3 Powerwalls in the first 1.5-2.5 hours of morning production I'm guessing, depending on how much power your house uses in the morning first. So the rest of the extra solar you produce each day will feed back to the grid as an offset, and thus offsetting your evening usage (at least with SRP solar rate plans that's how it works), which is a better way to offset evening usage than your trying to purchase enough PWs to cover a large home in Phoenix.

Also keep in mind, in Phoenix, most of our solar generation plans have heavy Peak period demands charges (at least with SRP), so you'll use up the capacity of those 3 Powerwalls just to cover your peak period to zero out any usage during peak, which is mostly occurs as the sun/PV production is ramping down (say 2pm to 8pm). You most likely will not have additional PW coverage to power your house after your peak is over. Maybe for an hour or two depending how much solar you will have for the first couple hours of the afternoon peak period.

I could not come up with any economic model that even came close to covering all my usage by powering my house from only the solar and PWs - all models required feeding solar back to the grid in the winter for offsets that cover summer months to gain a higher % of self-sufficiency. Trying to get to 90% self sufficiency for a summer day purely from PV and PWs in Arizona would require many more Powerwalls, and I simply couldn't make that even close to making sense.

My math is something like this... 3 Powerwalls should give you around 32-34kWrs of power. My house uses about 2/3rd the annual power as yours it seems since we run around 20,000kWr for our annual total last year. Although this year we have a model Y and it appears that will add 6-8k to our annual usage this year. Anyway, I looked at my house draw last night after solar production ramped down and the house used 70kWhrs before production resumed in the morning. So I couldn't come close to powering my house overnight purely from just even my 4 Powerwalls. I use them mostly up just covering my peak period. So I'd need at least 6 more to cover that 70kWrs I used overnight. And I know some nights we actually use 80-90 between PV production windows when we have parties, and are doing cooking and such.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Mostly, just look at the hourly usage of your house on your utility online dashboard, and add those up kWh usage from around 5pm until 6-7 pm the next day in the summer, the will tell you how much you use overnight. Compare that to the 36(ish) kWh's your PWs can cover (much of which you'll probably use anyway just to zero out your peak period, so you have to remove the the PW hours you're house will need to use during your utilities peak period.

That sounds about right to cover 90% of your usage on an annual basis. But just know you'll be using offset credits you generate in the winter because you'll have significantly more PV production in then winter than you can use on any given winter day or week, and in the summer you'll come up well short even with your system, but the winter grid credits should offset up to 90% of your annual production it sounds like. You should product 100-115kWrs/day in the summer and most of that will between 7:30am and 4:30pm. I'm also guessing many days in the summer you use up to, or over 160kWrs. So . With 3 Powerwalls though, a significant portion of your PV production will be fed back to the grid since you will fill the 3 Powerwalls in the first 1.5-2.5 hours of morning production I'm guessing, depending on how much power your house uses in the morning first. So the rest of the extra solar you produce each day will feed back to the grid as an offset, and thus offsetting your evening usage (at least with SRP solar rate plans that's how it works), which is a better way to offset evening usage than your trying to purchase enough PWs to cover a large home in Phoenix.

Also keep in mind, in Phoenix, most of our solar generation plans have heavy Peak period demands charges (at least with SRP), so you'll use up the capacity of those 3 Powerwalls just to cover your peak period to zero out any usage during peak, which is mostly occurs as the sun/PV production is ramping down (say 2pm to 8pm). You most likely will not have additional PW coverage to power your house after your peak is over. Maybe for an hour or two depending how much solar you will have for the first couple hours of the afternoon peak period.

I could not come up with any economic model that even came close to covering all my usage by powering my house from only the solar and PWs - all models required feeding solar back to the grid in the winter for offsets that cover summer months to gain a higher % of self-sufficiency. Trying to get to 90% self sufficiency for a summer day purely from PV and PWs in Arizona would require many more Powerwalls, and I simply couldn't make that even close to making sense.

My math is something like this... 3 Powerwalls should give you around 32-34kWrs of power. My house uses about 2/3rd the annual power as yours it seems since we run around 20,000kWr for our annual total last year. Although this year we have a model Y and it appears that will add 6-8k to our annual usage this year. Anyway, I looked at my house draw last night after solar production ramped down and the house used 70kWhrs before production resumed in the morning. So I couldn't come close to powering my house overnight purely from just even my 4 Powerwalls. I use them mostly up just covering my peak period. So I'd need at least 6 more to cover that 70kWrs I used overnight. And I know some nights we actually use 80-90 between PV production windows when we have parties, and are doing cooking and such.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Mostly, just look at the hourly usage of your house on your utility online dashboard, and add those up kWh usage from around 5pm until 6-7 pm the next day in the summer, the will tell you how much you use overnight. Compare that to the 36(ish) kWh's your PWs can cover (much of which you'll probably use anyway just to zero out your peak period, so you have to remove the the PW hours you're house will need to use during your utilities peak period.

Thank you Jay, terrific explanation as this makes a lot more sense now as it didn't occur we would not have enough to cover night time use with the three PWs. I only say this as Tesla promised that the 3 PWs would...and suggested we get a fourth. You're right, does not make financial sense at all. And because we are situated in the Ahwatukee foothills where the sun sets some 40 minutes earlier behind South Mountain, estimating our overall production will be about 3-5% less in summer and 5-7% less in winter than what Tesla has engineered out. Overall, we think we'll have 5 year payback on the solar cost alone.

Are you on SRP? Appreciate your thoughts on their rate plans. Initially, we'll start with the SRP E26 time-of-use plan and will have to monitor closely and adjust as you suggest.

Thanks again for responding and sharing your insights and expertise!

Nick

Like a lot of things, the answer is ‘it depends’. If your goal is to have a whole house backup and be able to run your whole house through an extended gird outage, then I would say you need a bare minimum of 3 and likely more.

I have a 15.12kW solar system and 4 powerwalls. I used about 33,000 kWh, but I estimate that close to a third of that was for charging my Model S. I did a *lot* of driving last year. My system is enough to power my house pretty much indefinitely off gird, as long as I do very limited or no car charging.

When I operate off grid my 4 powerwalls will go from fully charged at about 7PM as the sun starts to dwindle down to around 50% at 7AM when the sun comes up again. However, if we have a rainy day and the powerwalls don’t get fully charged during the day, or it’s rainy in the afternoon and the powerwalls might need start powering the house as early as 3 or 4, then the powerwalls can get down to 25% by morning. I suspect that your house uses more power than mine, so you would likely use more power overnight as well.

On the other hand, if you just want to back up certain critical loads and/or are willing to cut way back on your power usage in the event of an extended outage then you might be able to get away with 3 powerwalls.

Thanks Brett, appreciate your input and advice. We just can't seem to justify spending another 7k for a fourth PW, although it would certainly extend our capacity and worth considering once we had a Y to the mix next year.

Thank you Jay, terrific explanation as this makes a lot more sense now as it didn't occur we would not have enough to cover night time use with the three PWs. I only say this as Tesla promised that the 3 PWs would...and suggested we get a fourth. You're right, does not make financial sense at all. And because we are situated in the Ahwatukee foothills where the sun sets some 40 minutes earlier behind South Mountain, estimating our overall production will be about 3-5% less in summer and 5-7% less in winter than what Tesla has engineered out. Overall, we think we'll have 5 year payback on the solar cost alone.

Are you on SRP? Appreciate your thoughts on their rate plans. Initially, we'll start with the SRP E26 time-of-use plan and will have to monitor closely and adjust as you suggest.

Thanks again for responding and sharing your insights and expertise!

Nick

I’m on the SRP E-27 plan. The demand charges sound scary, but since I have enough powerwall to zero out all peak usages it’s really a non-issue. I never have any peak usage, so zero demand charges. That plan in-turn has the cheapest off peak rates (or it did when I signed up) and I don’t have any peak charges at all so peak rates aren’t a factor for me. So my net savings are about 2k on what used to be about $3k in annual energy charges.

My modeling for my particular home and usage seemed to indicate I’d save about 350-500 less on the E-26 because of how much off-peak power I still use, the slightly higher the off peak average adds up when I’m still using 12-15 off-peak kWhrs per year.

Last edited:
I would also encourage those in SRP territory with solar and Powerwalls to also look at the E-15 Average Demand Plan rates. I do not believe I have had a bill that would have been lower on E-27 since the E-15 rate plan was implemented about 1.5 years ago. E-15 has higher demand rates than E-27, but identical on and off-peak energy usage charges.

If you never have any usage or demand during peak, your bill on E-15 will be identical to E-27. But for me, every few days or weeks, my single Powerwall doesn't quite zero out my demand during peak and I'm stuck with a demand hit of several hundred kW for the day. With the E-15 average demand rates, these spikes usually average out to zero for the month resulting in zero demand charge.

The other nice thing about E-15 is that if for some reason I completely blow my peak demand for the day (say, my automated Powerwall management actions don't trigger or I accidentally charge my car during peak hours), that one day demand hit gets averaged out for the month and reduced significantly. For me, it just reduces the stress of worrying about equipment or user error.