Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first bill for my loan is coming up in a few weeks and I'm still paying for electric because Tesla screwed up some paperwork when they submitted to SRP.
There's been no movement since and when calling Tesla they just tell me to "wait, because there's a queue".
Noone ever gives me any updates, nothing.

Now I'm going to be paying back this loan AND paying for electric costs at the same time. This sucks.

Also I see some of what you guys are saying about the 1099's. I ordered last year, but they didn't deliver my powerwalls until January. I have no idea what this 1099 form is for. Will my tax guy know what to do with it?
yep 1099 is income

Also I see some of what you guys are saying about the 1099's. I ordered last year, but they didn't deliver my powerwalls until January. I have no idea what this 1099 form is for. Will my tax guy know what to do with it?
When last year? How much is it for?
In 2019 I ordered the batteries and was due before years end but not delivered until mid 2020. Tesla promised to rebate the 4% lost to ITC around $700+. That will require a 1099 for sure but not beyond.
Perhaps that is what it may be but come to think of it, ITC rates of 26% is extended so nothing to rebate. Better call them and see why you are getting one. Don't wait to the last minute as they may have to amend it to $0.

Did you buy your powerwalls, or did you get them for free as a referral? Unless you got them for free (or for some steep, non-public discount, though I don't know Tesla has that) you should not receive a 1099. As @mikkle mentioned, Tesla seems to have sent some 1099 forms out in error, and, in particular, to AZ customers (or, at least, it seems like the mentions so far have been from AZ - I have not received one for powerwalls purchased in MD - nor should I.)

If you bought the PWs, make sure your tax advisor is aware of the 1099 (because it is reported to the IRS) but you should not need to pay any tax. But, if Tesla does not issue you a corrected ($0) 1099, you should follow up with Tesla or the IRS might flag your return because they have no way to know it was issued erroneously.

If they were free, then you might have to determine whether the 1099 should really have been issued for 2020 or 2021, and your advisor might have comments on that.

Did you buy your powerwalls, or did you get them for free as a referral? Unless you got them for free (or for some steep, non-public discount, though I don't know Tesla has that) you should not receive a 1099. As @mikkle mentioned, Tesla seems to have sent some 1099 forms out in error, and, in particular, to AZ customers (or, at least, it seems like the mentions so far have been from AZ - I have not received one for powerwalls purchased in MD - nor should I.)

If you bought the PWs, make sure your tax advisor is aware of the 1099 (because it is reported to the IRS) but you should not need to pay any tax. But, if Tesla does not issue you a corrected ($0) 1099, you should follow up with Tesla or the IRS might flag your return because they have no way to know it was issued erroneously.

If they were free, then you might have to determine whether the 1099 should really have been issued for 2020 or 2021, and your advisor might have comments on that.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I paid for both my powerwalls, but received a 1099 for 5100. I'm supposed to get a rebate from SRP, but yeah. I WISH they were free...

Thanks for the info. Yeah I paid for both my powerwalls, but received a 1099 for 5100. I'm supposed to get a rebate from SRP, but yeah. I WISH they were free...

Tesla erroneously issued 1099 for $5100 to a number of customers. I got an email last week that they would be issuing A corrected 1099 and mailing it out feb 5th.

I did also receive a1099 from srp for the 3600 rebate.

Can someone give me an example of where that charge is located? So far all I've found is this line that doesn't break it out:

2 Powerwall(s) and Tax $13,400.00

I purchased in Jul 2019, so I'm pretty sure there's some tax in there since I believe they were $5500 each back then. So just contact Tesla if you live in AZ? I already paid off the loan with a refi, so hopefully that doesn't matter.

Can someone give me an example of where that charge is located? So far all I've found is this line that doesn't break it out:

I purchased in Jul 2019, so I'm pretty sure there's some tax in there since I believe they were $5500 each back then. So just contact Tesla if you live in AZ? I already paid off the loan with a refi, so hopefully that doesn't matter.

On my purchase agreement from June 2020 it was listed as Taxes after System Price and before being totaled up into Contract Price.

I also saw this thread and Tesla removed the charge.

It doesn't appear that they charged you a tax. Your Powerwall total would be $11,000. The remaining $2400 would be gateway and installation charges. Plus, if you were charged a tax, your total wouldn't be a round number like $13,400.

It doesn't appear that they charged you a tax. Your Powerwall total would be $11,000. The remaining $2400 would be gateway and installation charges. Plus, if you were charged a tax, your total wouldn't be a round number like $13,400.

That stuff is actually broken out separately, here's the whole thing.

Attachments

• solar.PNG
    solar.PNG
    50.4 KB · Views: 95
I guess I'm confused then based upon the powerwall 2 price and the the fact that it says "and tax". Is the tax removal thing only for installation costs? That would mean I paid $6700 for each powerwall 2, which is higher than I recall being quoted mid-2019, because the costs for the other hardware are broken out separately in that list. It doesn't help that the price has changed so much, I guess I could just be remembering wrong.

I guess I'm confused then based upon the powerwall 2 price and the the fact that it says "and tax". Is the tax removal thing only for installation costs? That would mean I paid $6700 for each powerwall 2, which is higher than I recall being quoted mid-2019, because the costs for the other hardware are broken out separately in that list. It doesn't help that the price has changed so much, I guess I could just be remembering wrong.

May be it is worthwhile for you to call Tesla and ask them. I compared your line items with mine once again, and mine only says "2 Powerwall(s)". There is no "and tax".

• Helpful
Reactions: oldpueblo
Can you tell when was peak vs off peak beautiful :

View attachment 633141
I received my first months bill after PTO. I’m on SRP average demand plan. There were several days during month where SRP shows using 0.1 to 0.7 KW during an on peak time. Most are occurring in the 5:00 to 5:30 AM. I’ve been starting Self Power mode at 4:50 but going to change to 4:45 to see if helps. Have you seen these small on peak charges even though house should be totally on battery? The charge averaged out to 0.1 KW so was only charged 0.81 cents. However this will be a lot larger cost during summer if it keeps happening.

I received my first months bill after PTO. I’m on SRP average demand plan. There were several days during month where SRP shows using 0.1 to 0.7 KW during an on peak time. Most are occurring in the 5:00 to 5:30 AM. I’ve been starting Self Power mode at 4:50 but going to change to 4:45 to see if helps. Have you seen these small on peak charges even though house should be totally on battery? The charge averaged out to 0.1 KW so was only charged 0.81 cents. However this will be a lot larger cost during summer if it keeps happening.

I see these little blips from time to time as well, but not always necessarily at the start of a peak period. Even in the summer a 0.1 kW average will only be about $2 if I'm not mistaken.

I’m using Darwin’s Powerwall Manager via Hubitat. Set to run self powered exactly 5-9am and pm and it works instantaneously with 0.0 daily or ave demand. Did you verify no excess loads causing the spikes?

Attachments

• 09748E4B-353B-477A-BB84-B327F64CB37F.jpeg
    09748E4B-353B-477A-BB84-B327F64CB37F.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 77F529A6-8FD0-400B-AFA6-04FA8149C956.jpeg
    77F529A6-8FD0-400B-AFA6-04FA8149C956.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 42