Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since most of the posts on this forum are from California folks, I thought it might be a good idea to start a forum for Arizona people who are patiently waiting for their installs. So, first question, has anyone received utility and county approval, and has Tesla given any realistic date for the install?

I have 2 on reserve. Tesla Concierge called me back in June to let me know it's moving forward and I should have the install by end of June. That was missed and I just got the interconnect document to sign with APS last week.

It seems to be slowly moving forward... about the same pace with my original solar system install with SolarCity and APS.

I have 2 on reserve. Tesla Concierge called me back in June to let me know it's moving forward and I should have the install by end of June. That was missed and I just got the interconnect document to sign with APS last week.

It seems to be slowly moving forward... about the same pace with my original solar system install with SolarCity and APS.
Did you ever get your Powerwalls installed? I'm still waiting.

@AZSam , sorry, I had posted my PowerWall install update on the AZ Tesla Group thread:

PowerWall Installation

Yes, install completed back in March. Tesla Concierge called to say that they will be registering my 2 Powerwalls with APS but that there's no action required on my part.

The Tesla installers said that APS had been delaying the install but they finally started approving all the recent installation plans and permits so they're ramping up the Powerwall installs in AZ.

I think another AZ member located in SRP territory mentioned that the utility is still not as cooperating with Tesla and still hasn't heard of any updates yet regarding their Powerwall order.

Hope this helps!

While I don't have my powerwalls installed yet, they did contact me this week to start the process. I purchased 2 for just the reason you mentioned regarding TOU rates.

I don't believe 1 powerwall would support my 2 "older" heat pumps that I plan to upgrade in the near future and still even then I doubt it.

Those peak greats are great! :mad:

Side questions did anyone mount in their garage or outside? Concerned about the heat in the summer.

While I don't have my powerwalls installed yet, they did contact me this week to start the process. I purchased 2 for just the reason you mentioned regarding TOU rates.

I don't believe 1 powerwall would support my 2 "older" heat pumps that I plan to upgrade in the near future and still even then I doubt it.

Those peak greats are great! :mad:

Side questions did anyone mount in their garage or outside? Concerned about the heat in the summer.

Highly recommend that you mount inside garage on wall to prolong life of battery. Avoid stacking the Powerwalls one in front of the other if you have the wall space to place them side by side on wall with base on the floor and with good separation to allow for proper ventilation, mine are 18" apart.

I mounted mine outside under a covered area. No problems at all during summer heat.

IMG_1035.jpg

Anyone have SRP and solar on the 'new' TOU plan with peak usage charges? Wondering if one PW2 is enough to peak shave so you aren't getting killed by BS peak charges.

I have 5.6 kW solar and a single PowerWall2 in Arizona SRP territory, and so far it's working well, considering SRP's anti-solar tactics. For my 1st SRP bill in March with the PowerWall, my peak demand for the month was 0.2 kW and the March demand charge was only 70 cents. Based on the results so far, I am hopeful that I will be able to maintain negligible demand and negiligible on-peak usage even during the summer.

There is definitely room for improvement from the Powerwall software to better work for demand management and with multiple daily peak periods, but the net results so far look pretty good to me. I'm currently using a single 5am to 9pm shoulder period in cost-savings mode to cover SRP's two 5am-9am and 5pm-9pm winter peak periods.

I had my PowerWall mounted in the garage to avoid the extreme afternoon sun and heat, and had it mounted higher on the garage wall just to make sure it wasn't accidentally hit with a vehicle bumper. Sun Valley Solar Solutions did the install for both my solar and PowerWall and did an excellent job.

Now that SRP is committing to up to a $3,600 incentive for battery systems, incuding a PowerWall with a solar install in SRP territory is almost a slam dunk.

SRP-PowerWall.jpg

I have 5.6 kW solar and a single PowerWall2 in Arizona SRP territory, and so far it's working well, considering SRP's anti-solar tactics. For my 1st SRP bill in March with the PowerWall, my peak demand for the month was 0.2 kW and the March demand charge was only 70 cents. Based on the results so far, I am hopeful that I will be able to maintain negligible demand and negiligible on-peak usage even during the summer.

There is definitely room for improvement from the Powerwall software to better work for demand management and with multiple daily peak periods, but the net results so far look pretty good to me. I'm currently using a single 5am to 9pm shoulder period in cost-savings mode to cover SRP's two 5am-9am and 5pm-9pm winter peak periods.

I had my PowerWall mounted in the garage to avoid the extreme afternoon sun and heat, and had it mounted higher on the garage wall just to make sure it wasn't accidentally hit with a vehicle bumper. Sun Valley Solar Solutions did the install for both my solar and PowerWall and did an excellent job.

Now that SRP is committing to up to a $3,600 incentive for battery systems, incuding a PowerWall with a solar install in SRP territory is almost a slam dunk.

View attachment 396865

Did you order the Powerwall recently? I bought a house last year with grandfathered in Solar and would like to add one to help out and also add a few panels or at least freshen some up as its been installed for over 10 years.
Edit saw your original post..

The credit is there but as mentioned above SRP voted on 3/25 to increase the battery incentive from $1800 to $3600. It is supposed to go into effect 5/1, but Tesla could not tell me if they submitted my paperwork now what incentive I would be entitled too.

We can assume $3600, but I’ll just wait until 5/1 when the new incentive kicks in before I turn in my SRP credit form to be on the safe side.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz and Don TLR
Did you order the Powerwall recently? I bought a house last year with grandfathered in Solar and would like to add one to help out and also add a few panels or at least freshen some up as its been installed for over 10 years.
Edit saw your original post..

I signed contracts for the PowerWall and solar with Sun Valley Solar Solutions (in Chandler) last June. The solar was installed in July and the PowerWall was installed in February. The solar and battery were two separate contracts and completely independent installs due to the PowerWall backlog at the time. I signed up for the $1,800 (at the time) battery incentive online on the SRP site, and Sun Valley handled all scheduling and coordination from there with Tesla and SRP. I would certainly consider talking with Sun Valley if you're looking to update your current system.

As I mentioned, the PowerWall is working well for my needs, but I'm expecting it to work even better with new SRP E-15 Customer Generation Average Demand Price Plan coming in May. Just as with the E-27 plan, it also appears that the E-15 pricing is designed to scare solar customers away, but at least there are multiple draconian and punitive rate structure options to choose from now. I'm jealous that you are grandfathered in to the old SRP rates. The PowerWall software currently appears better suited for that old TOU rate structure.

• Informative
Reactions: Don TLR