Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all NEED our new cars to be registered before 1/1/22. Currently EV's here in AZ have a registration fee of 1% of the vehicle cost which is nothing. It's all changing as beginning next year that's going up to 10% of cost, then for 2023 to 20% of the retail value - same as regular cars! But if you have an EV registered before 2022 you are grandfathered in. This is a big deal that for some reason I've not seen a lot of talk about.
Can you point to where this is documented on an AZ state site? This may compel me to change to a MYP for sure - as my delivery date simply now says "January".

Ordered MYLR - Black, 20" Induction Wheels, White Interior, No FSD on Aug 21.

EDD is Dec 10 - Jan 9

Now debating changing to MYP. But unclear on how much that will speed up my EDD. Contacted Tesla. Nothing so far.

Are the MYP upgrades and shorter EDD really worth the additional $6K?
UPDATE: Tesla website now simply states "January" and that they will contact me later about a DD.

This combined with possible, new AZ state license fees, may make me move to a MYP with 4-6 week delivery.

Can you point to where this is documented on an AZ state site? This may compel me to change to a MYP for sure - as my delivery date simply now says "January".

Multiple websites show that.​

For AFVs registered prior to Jan. 1, 2022:​

The vehicle license tax (VLT) for an AFV has a rate of $4 per $100 of assessed valuation, which is determined by the following: For the first year, the assessed value is 1% of the factory list price (MSRP) of the AFV. For subsequent years, the assessed value depreciates 15% each year. The minimum VLT for an AFV registration is $5.

For AFVs registered between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2022:​

The vehicle license tax (VLT) for an AFV has a rate of $4 per $100 of assessed valuation, which is determined by the following: For the first year, the assessed value is 20% of the factory list price (MSRP) of the AFV. For subsequent years, the assessed value depreciates 15% each year. The minimum VLT for an AFV registration is $5.

For AFVs registered after Dec. 31, 2022:​

The vehicle license tax (VLT) for an AFV will be calculated using the same formula used for traditional cars and trucks. The VLT has a rate of $2.80 per $100 of assessed valuation, which is determined by the following:

• For the first year, the assessed value is 60% of the factory list price (MSRP) of the AFV.Calculating Vehicle License Tax for Alternative Fuel Vehicles
  • For subsequent years, the assessed value depreciates 16.25% each year and the VLT has a rate of $2.89 per $100.
  • The minimum VLT for registration is $10.

Reduced Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) License Tax​

The vehicle license tax for an AFV registered in Arizona is $4 for every $100 in assessed value. The minimum amount of the annual AFV license tax is $5. AFV assessed values are determined as follows:

• AFVs registered prior to January 1, 2022: 1% of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP)
  • AFVs initially registered between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022: 20% of the MSRP.

Reactions: AZSTAD
UPDATE: Tesla website now simply states "January" and that they will contact me later about a DD.

This combined with possible, new AZ state license fees, may make me move to a MYP with 4-6 week delivery.
Currently the price gap between LR and P is very less.

The registration tax is not going to be drastically different in 2022. It might cost you like $1500 more over 5 years or so. However, this will further reduce the price gap between the LR and P.

So may be it is wise decision to go to MYP. I personally like MYP over MYLR but I need a 7 Seat configuration and hence MYLR.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
Ordered on June 12th, Red MYLR, Black Int, 20" IW, NO FSD and *7 Seats*. When I checked in showroom, estimated date the car will come out of factory gate is Sep 12th. Estimated time to reach Showroom in Phoenix is Sep 14th. My EDD still shows Sep 10-30.
I would recommend visiting showroom if you are anxious so you will get more accurate date. Phone calls usually will give you the same EDD on the website.
Good to know. I'll make sure to stop by the showroom sometime this week. Thanks! My EDD updated to 9/2-9/18. SOON!

For the first year, the assessed value is 60% of the factory list price (MSRP) of the AFV.

Reduced Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) License Tax​

The vehicle license tax for an AFV registered in Arizona is $4 for every $100 in assessed value. The minimum amount of the annual AFV license tax is $5. AFV assessed values are determined as follows:

• AFVs registered prior to January 1, 2022: 1% of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP)
  • AFVs initially registered between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022: 20% of the MSRP.
Thanks for the details SaiD. I wonder how long it will be before Arizona stops the "blue plate" program for EV's.

Reactions: TheSackLakeKid
I posted this info in the Blue Model Y Waiting Room also:

After the typical bouncing around and disappearances of of EDD, as late as November 02, today I see
September 29-30.
MYLR Blue/White, original order 5/19 with a hold gap mid-June to mid- July.

Of course it could change again, and I don't have a VIN yet, but this is feeling more real because it's a narrow window, and because I know Tesla is motivated to close out deliveries at the end of the quarter. I know it also gets to be a madhouse at the delivery center at that time but I'll just deal with it.

I hope this sticks because my son is coming down from WA to help me with Scottsdale pick-up and mods/accessories. It's hard to plan that travel, with the EDD being so uncertain.