Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Armored Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GoTslaGo

Learning Member
Dec 25, 2015
US
I happened to notice the other day that BMW offers "security vehicles" on their international website (full of bullet holes but looking great). Considering the raw power of the P90D (+/-L), once Tesla gets up to speed with the 3 and whatever, they should consider an armored Tesla (S or X).

I don't know the specs, but let's assume the additional ballistic protection adds 2k lbs (US) then the S becomes a tad heavier than the X. So we are looking at an acceleration of an X with an S. Still damn good. Furthermore, there is no central engine block to destroy, you have 2 motors, hidden between the tires. Hard targets. Unless you have an IED, the battery pack would be hard to hit. Only issue I can think of is the Windows, since they are frameless.

Looking at armored car websites (private sales), most private companies configure vehicles with V8s with high end horsepower of 550 hp etc..., but most with 380+. Finally, there is no gas. As long as the owner keeps it plugged in, ambush risk is lowered.

Only problem I can think of is potential range, but I doubt that an executive/diplomat is worried about a long term run. The key is to survive the ambush.

I guess the car software may be an issue as well, trying the protect the car, but this is why Tesla has to make the "security vehicle," they'll probably need a software override to be initiated to get the car out of security situations. Allow the car to into single motor mode, etc....

This would really put Tesla in the same league as MB, BMW, and Audi's in the international market.

Just a thought. Maybe a paranoid one, but just a thought....

OP, Tesla has a LOT more to worry about than trying to make a very niche vehicle.
Tesla has to get the Model X production up a running soon, so they can then get the Mode 3 out ON TIME!!
Then get the Model Y out.
The stock is getting killed lately due to slow production of the Model X.

Maybe this is why sometimes MB and BMW etc. are associated with thugs - hopefully Tesla will escape that association for any of its models (not offering armored versions).

That is ABSOLUTELY THE STUPIDEST post I've EVER seen on ANY forum.

Last edited:
OP, Tesla has a LOT more to worry about than trying to make a very niche vehicle.
Tesla has to get the Model X production up a running soon, so they can then get the Mode 3 out ON TIME!!
Then get the Model Y out.
The stock is getting killed lately due to slow production of the Model X.

Definitely true, but how cool would it be to see the President be driven around in a Tesla, instead of the Beast!

Most armoring of passenger vehicles is done by 3rd-party conversion shops.

Overall, I think you're more likely to see an armored Tesla by this route than from the factory. Of course, as hostile as TSLA is to 3rd-party service, even this outcome isn't too likely.

An awful lot of similar conjecturing 2-3 years ago, many posters hoping the White House would do this. I then and now most devoutly hope it never occurs.

Irrespective of my biases, the Model X? I think it's tough enough to make the windshield as it is now. I really can't imagine how much AGP Glass would have to charge for a bulletproof Model X screen; spendy even by DoD standards!

Last edited:
From what I've read, the Beast is based on the Suburban chassis, so maybe the Model X would be a better starting point.
Bill Clinton wouldn't have gone for the MS. He needs space to hide his interns for in car entertainment. ;)

The Beast is a Kodiak (medium truck) chassis with a GM 6.6L V8 Diesel. It weighs close to 10 tons. Light truck and passenger cars won't hold the weight of the armor. This is also so it can run on military fuel.

I most definitely will, now I remember where I got that idea! It was from this damn Trailer! I saw this before.

BTW, I kept thinking that was Eric Idle of Monty Python fame, kept wondering how he could do an action comedy at his age. Boy was I mistaken. Just showing my age....

What is "military fuel"? AFAIK diesel is diesel.

The army and air force switched over to JP-8, which is a jet fuel that works fine in diesel piston engines. The same fuel can run helicopters, tanks, trucks, motorcycles, generators, small boats, and most aircraft. It is harder to ignite in combat conditions than normal diesel fuel.

The GM engine even though it is common rail, is run off JP-8 successfully.