TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Armrest leather stretching

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by tinm, Dec 11, 2015.

1. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

First, facts: Aug 2013 Model S85, 36500mi.

For probably the first 18-20 months of owning the car, I somehow got into the habit of getting in the car and using my right elbow to hold me just so while I got my legs in. (I'm 6'4".)

Doing so seems to have resulted in a stretching, deformation of leather on the right arm rest in the car, as you can see:

armrest1.png

armrest2.png

armrest3.png

It doesn't look that bad in these photos, but in real life it's worse. Basically, the leather on the one arm-rest has become stretched and it bugs me. I've never done anything about it, but I have to look at it every time I get in the car.

Has this ever happened to any other Model S owners? Did you ever talk to service about it? I wonder what it would cost to redo the leather on the armrest. Probably cost an arm and a leg, or at least an arm, I suppose :smile:. Just curious if anyone anywhere has seen this with their S too.

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Those evannex arm rests with cup holders rear seat passengers might be cheaper than reupholstery.

3. BertL

BertL Active Member

Personally, I expect some amount of deformation may occur in places like the OP describes over time... Padding will eventually give out if repeated pressure is applied to the same area over and over, and leather is a natural product that does stretch. My leather family room recliner I spend several hours in every day has similar indentations from my where my arms rest on it, and the pressure I apply ther getting in and out of my seat.

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

Right Bert but if it bothers you or tinm it's correctable for a price.