TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Array Oversizing

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by nwdiver, Feb 27, 2015.

?

What's your solar DC/AC ratio?

1. <= 1

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. ~1.2

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. ~1.4

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. >= 1.6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

I'm helping a friend with what's probably going to be a 15.6kW array tied to a 11kW inverter. That's an oversize ratio of ~1.4. That seems to be the sweet spot with module prices <$1/w. I'm curious as to how common this practice has become... Array Oversizing. UL1741 inverters are tested to a ratio of 2.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

#2 FlasherZ, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    I think most of it is anticipating how long you'll be operating at peak.

One of my arrays is 30x300 (9 kW, pointed S @ 175 deg) fed into 8 kW inverter. The second array is 16x315 (5.04 kW, pointed SE @ 140 deg) fed into a 4 kW inverter. The third array is 8x315 (2.52 kW, pointed E @ 85 deg) fed into a 2 kW inverter. The fourth array is 7x250 (1.75 kW, pointed SW @ 215 deg) fed into a 2 kW inverter. I've tried to keep them at 1.25 or below.

There are times during the summer day when the first array will reach 8400 W generation for about an hour and you can hear the fans blazing on the SMA 8kW inverter. I can't imagine running a higher oversubscription for several hours without shortening the life of the inverter.

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

My second system (installed in December) was 4.86kW into a 4kW inverter, so just over 1.2. I didn't pick the numbers (not enough knowledge), the solar company did.

4. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

The inverter doesn't dissipate the extra power... it increases the input voltage lowering the current, this simply lowers the power being pulled from the array. I believe the UL1741 limit of 2 is based on a fault condition. If there are no faults you should be able to tie an 8MW array to an 8kW inverter... as long as the input voltage is <600v. You would just be at 8kW from sunrise to sunset :wink:

5. RichardC

RichardC Cdn Sig & Solar Supporter

Unless you have diverse panel orientation, or a feed-in tariff limit or other regulatory constraints, I don't understand why you would go above 1.2 ratio. As reflected in the following (from the panels that first cleared themselves of snow), even a 1.2 ratio is leaving a significant number of electrons on the roof on sunny days.

AC Production.JPG

6. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

There are multiple reasons to oversize your array... utility restrictions are probably the most common.

I was surprised how little is lost on an annual basis. For example... 14kW array tied to a 10kW inverter will produce ~23367kWh/yr. Upgrading to an 11kW array will yield ~250kWh more per year. It's ~$300 more for that extra kW.... sure it's only $300... but you're only making an extra ~$25/yr... that's a 12 year payback.

Why supersize?

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Sure - sorry, didn't mean to imply that it sank the power; instead, meant to imply that running at 100% load for many hours per day was likely to have an impact on the lifespan. The fans running are a side-effect of running the hardware at 100%, not to cool sinks. To Richard's point, flat-spotting the curve will lose some production, but I'm looking for more longevity from the equipment.

8. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

It's really heat not power that degrades the electronics inside an inverter... I realize that more power = more heat but that pales in comparison to environmental factors. An inverter operating with an ambient temp of 20C & 70kWh/day will probably live longer than one operating with an ambient temp of 23C & 50kWh/day. Most inverters are 96 - 98% efficient. @ 10kW that's only 200 - 400w of heat. The actual 'guts' of my inverter are probably <5% of it's mass... discounting the transformer >50% of the weight is thermal mass. Dissipating heat appears to have been the top design priority.

It would be interesting to see a geographic representation of MTBF for inverters... I would expect there to be a strong correlation between temperature and failure.

9. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Well, I guess THAT makes sense. But barring "trouble from the utility company", it seems odd to me. My inclination would be to get all the power I can and sell the excess (if the utility wants it) or store it in batteries (if the utility doesn't). But I suppose you could put the battery storage on the DC side of the inverter. Actually you probably should, thinking about it....