TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Ars: How much will SLS and Orion cost to fly? Finally some answers

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by e-FTW, Aug 19, 2016.

1. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Aug 23, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    How much will SLS and Orion cost to fly? Finally some answers
    “My top number for Orion, SLS, and the ground systems that support it is $2 billion or less,” Hill told Ars. “I mean that’s my real ultimate goal. We were running at about three-plus, 3.6 billion [dollars] during the latter days of space shuttle. Of course, there again, we were flying six or seven missions. I think we’re actually going to have to get to less than that.”

Ars has learned that the agency’s ultimate goal for annual production and operations costs is about $1.5 billion.
    • Informative x 1
  2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    SLS and Orion is already way past those numbers. Anyone in the industry is well aware that SLS and Orion are just jobs programs. It's very likely that the overall program is dropped in a few years when the new administration gets into office. Obama's administration killed the Constellation program. SLS and Orion are fallout from that cancellation. The moment FH flies once or twice and definitely after the Red Dragon mission happens then it will be too obvious that SLS/Orion is a black hole of taxpayer money.
    • Like x 1