TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ars Technica - Opinion: Tesla’s self-induced jet wash

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Doug_G, May 7, 2016.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

2. newtman

newtman Member

3. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Nothing new here.
    No thanks.

• Funny x 3
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Did this article come out just a weee bit too early ?

Say ... two years ?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  5. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

Everyone with a reservation knows that the delivery date is a loose arrangement. The Model 3 will happen, and if you say that you should get your car in 2019, then anything prior to that is a bonus. Like all great inventions, the factor of time is just another variable.

Cut the guy some slack. Great things are about to happen!

6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

there's a saying on wall st about talking your position, this is an example. while tesla certainly does face many challenges, especially the model X debacle.
    this guy is clearly talking his position

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  7. electracity

electracity Active Member

The problem is that Musk makes these statements about production in Earning Reports. He can be as motivational as he wants when talking to his employees. But he has the duty to be reasonably honest when reporting to investors.

I've defended Musk's approach many times as "motivational" or "optimistic". But yesterday I read Earning Reports from 2014 forward. In my analysis either Musk is a fool, or he knows he is lying.

It seems like he has a pathological need to continually ratchet up the drama.

• Like x 2
  8. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

The article is taking flak from one of the Ars Technica moderators. Tom the Melaniephile, a veteran mod over there, responded: "Try doing some real analysis instead of just a hack job. I give this article 1 out of 5 stars and was not compensated for this review." He even slams the Ars automotive editor, repeatedly. LOL. The readership is also being pretty brutal in the comments.

I'm not sure why Ars Technica even allowed the opinion piece to be published, because it contains factual errors that should never have survived even a cursory editing process. Not a great moment for one of the oldest and most reputable tech reporting sites on the web.

• Like x 3
  9. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

What a s****y write up. The Model 3 is delayed?!? With regard to what, the author wishing he had gotten it yesterday?

10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

I'll wager he gave at least 3 days before he started his clock from the first mention of the Model ☰

12. Genshi

Genshi ermagerd, lorst mah reservation!

Yeah uhh....
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamesmresnick

I'd say maybe he's a teensy bit biased from his job history. But to be fair, he has "been a vital cog inside the machines that are Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari, Jaguar Land Rover and Fender Musical." And I'm a big fan of uhh... vital cogs inside machines.

Edited to add: Some of the comments on that hellcat article are hilarious. They got severely downvoted, but they're hilarious.

• Informative x 2
    • Funny x 1
  13. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter