Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article about energy prices in competitive bidding markets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran across this article: Renewables are cheaper than ever – so why are household energy bills only going up?

It is primarily about energy prices in Europe; however, it made it more clear how an increase in Natural Gas costs can increase the cost of power so much even with ever cheaper renewable energy coming online.

Apparently the crux of it is that in an open market energy producers bid to produce power. Grid operators need to ensure there is enough power, so they raise the price paid to everyone at that time period until enough power is being produced. Every producer gets paid that higher rate during that period.

When natural gas prices go up, it means generators using it need to be paid more to make it worth their while to bring their plants online. So all energy sources get paid the higher rate.

I see why the system was set up this way, but it also seems a bit odd. From a consumer’s perspective, why should the price of power from all sources go up when it is only the cost to generate power from one source that has skyrocketed?

Good question about energy prices. In the deregulated market in California the component that is continually going up is the transmission and distribution portion of the bill. Most people do not see the unbundled rates unless they have a Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) provider. In the case of PG&E they also have significant expenses to more effectively maintain their lines and trim trees to prevent fires. In addition they have recently been allowed to recover the cost of lawsuits seeking damages for causing fires that were the result of inadequate maintenance in the past. . Rates for that portion will continue to rise.

Reactions: morph3ous
What I get from Xcel has ~doubled in the past few months since what they pay for surplus exported is pegged to their cost. So it's a bit of a double whammy. They have to pay more for fuel which raises the wholesale price which increases what they pay DG customers for exports.