Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article from my extreme right wing climate denying Dad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah absolutely, exactly like celebrating today's gains or losses in the market and claiming it represents a trend. Very well thought out.

What's to think out? We're talking about slivers of degrees. My day continues as if nothing is going to happen, because, well, nothing is going to happen... but hey, if you're that passionate about it, I'm not knocking you. I appreciate and respect peoples' passion and dedication towards their beliefs, whether it be in God, the Sun, climate change, or whatever. I just don't buy into it further than it is actually happening (which I don't deny).

What's to think out? We're talking about slivers of degrees. My day continues as if nothing is going to happen, because, well, nothing is going to happen... but hey, if you're that passionate about it, I'm not knocking you. I appreciate and respect peoples' passion and dedication towards their beliefs, whether it be in God, the Sun, climate change, or whatever. I just don't buy into it further than it is actually happening (which I don't deny).

Actually I am an engineer and for me it is simply reviewing and understanding the data available, and a basis in critical thinking that gives credence to expert opinion, no belief system needed. Lack of understanding of the science and a belief that it "won't affect me today" is understandable I suppose, there are many many people globally that replace knowledge and understanding with personal beliefs and don't buy in to many things. Many, many people are reaching the "magic threshold" on many topics where they have no understanding of how things work, so for them it is "magic". It is in thee cases where belief systems start to replace understanding. I am sorry to say I don't respect this and I do not agree that a non-expert opinion or belief on any topic is equivalent to an expert opinion based on critical data analytics.

You can look out your window and think this is the equivalent of scientific analysis for creating a view on the global climate, I have no issue with that. I do have an issue with treating this as some type of equivalent view that should be given the same weight in public discourse.

Reactions: Rotarypower
Actually I am an engineer and for me it is simply reviewing and understanding the data available, and a basis in critical thinking that gives credence to expert opinion, no belief system needed. Lack of understanding of the science and a belief that it "won't affect me today" is understandable I suppose, there are many many people globally that replace knowledge and understanding with personal beliefs and don't buy in to many things. Many, many people are reaching the "magic threshold" on many topics where they have no understanding of how things work, so for them it is "magic". It is in thee cases where belief systems start to replace understanding. I am sorry to say I don't respect this and I do not agree that a non-expert opinion or belief on any topic is equivalent to an expert opinion based on critical data analytics.

You can look out your window and think this is the equivalent of scientific analysis for creating a view on the global climate, I have no issue with that. I do have an issue with treating this as some type of equivalent view that should be given the same weight in public discourse.

If you're an engineer, than you certainly fully understand that data can be manipulated to enhance an outcome. It's only as black and white as you choose it to be. Certainly there is no argument of an acceleration of global warming over the last 50 years. The argument (and thus, belief) is whether or not it is man-made, and if so, what percentage of the acceleration is due to man. Yes, I said it, percentage. 100%? 10%? 1%? There is absolutely zero scientific evidence that explains why. And that, my friend, is where the entire religion comes in to play.

• Disagree
If you're an engineer, than you certainly fully understand that data can be manipulated to enhance an outcome. It's only as black and white as you choose it to be. Certainly there is no argument of an acceleration of global warming over the last 50 years. The argument (and thus, belief) is whether or not it is man-made, and if so, what percentage of the acceleration is due to man. Yes, I said it, percentage. 100%? 10%? 1%? There is absolutely zero scientific evidence that explains why. And that, my friend, is where the entire religion comes in to play.

Yes this is exactly my point, that you have a "belief" but are not a climate scientist. I am very sure if I checked your view 1-2 years ago it would be that climate change in it's entirety was a hoax. As many of the "science disbelievers" you now have come to grips with the fact that the climate is actually changing, but still don't want to "believe" that there is a causality associated with the now admitted change. Again for me it is not a "belief" it is critical analysis of the available information. At this stage, it is growing tiresome providing facts and data in these types of discussions, much like a debate about the earth being flat or gravity being non existent and caused by the acceleration of the flat plane in an upward direction. I would urge anyone who cannot understand the science and therefore replaces the conclusions of the best scientists in the world with their "beliefs" to consider if that alone makes sense.

Have a great day, going to leave the last word for you :)

Yes this is exactly my point, that you have a "belief" but are not a climate scientist. I am very sure if I checked your view 1-2 years ago it would be that climate change in it's entirety was a hoax. As many of the "science disbelievers" you now have come to grips with the fact that the climate is actually changing, but still don't want to "believe" that there is a causality associated with the now admitted change. Again for me it is not a "belief" it is critical analysis of the available information. At this stage, it is growing tiresome providing facts and data in these types of discussions, much like a debate about the earth being flat or gravity being non existent and caused by the acceleration of the flat plane in an upward direction. I would urge anyone who cannot understand the science and therefore replaces the conclusions of the best scientists in the world with their "beliefs" to consider if that alone makes sense.

Have a great day, going to leave the last word for you :)

You so eloquently prove my point. Thanks, man! Have a great day! <Last word!>

• Disagree
climatesummit.jpg

This should really just be posted every so often. The fact is that there is no way to convince people when their head is buried in the...uhh...we'll just say sand.

How about summer setting 95° and winter 69°? 55° is pretty fricken cold unless you're the Iceman.
goals - your environment matters - when are you actually at home on your feet? which room?
blankets at night 55, who cares? the wall paper?
hot beverage in the AM? maybe a shower? - off to work -
at night turn up to 65 .... turn back to 55 hour before bed -

Having lived in Florida, 78F seems to be fine for keeping moles/mildews under control - at about 79 starts getting uncomfortable - 78 fine - not for exercise but hanging out, talking, reading, movies. window units and just in occupied rooms. A/C helps keep down moisture - one of the biggest problems.

Grew up in the desert, and 55F no problem (even colder as it is so dry) Outside standing in the sun, 40F doesn't feel cold. In WA, higher humidity feels colder, incandescent desk lamps help for sure.
Drink hot drinks to warm up. Glass of water to cool down.

So use your head - just try not to waste. My current thermostat has nice feature 55 set temporary turn up and automatically goes back to 55 after 3 or 4 hours, I forget.

You get the idea - no universal solutions - take control of your hourly temperature control.
Florida parents had $40 monthly electric bill at 78F; next door $240 - they tried to keep house at 65 all the time day or night - never opened the windows. (actually had two central A/C units - original and then added a 2nd unit.
In Florida, I always had to take a sweater to go shopping.

Summer in Florida, on Atlantic Coast wonderful hour before sun rise to about 8 or 9 am - then too hot on the beaches for me.

You get the idea. Do what is comfortable for you, push your limits a little, humans do adjust, so can you.

What exactly is your point?

You can read up above... I made my point very clearly. I'll start with my position:
- I believe in climate change, I am not a denier. I have always believed in climate change. I am skeptical that humans are completely responsible for it, as I look at all facts relevant to climate change.

I'll summarize my points:
- Climate change has been happening for millions of years, and all scientists agree on that point.
- "Man made climate change" is not universally agreed upon. And, for those who do agree on it, there is no universal determination as to what percentage of climate change is attributable to man (100%?, 10%?, etc)
- For those who believe in man-made climate change, it is a religion complete with leaders and believers (followers). Evidence (er.. irrefutable facts) are shown (much like any religion) and the believers believe even more.
- Like most religions, when those (perceptually) insult it (or doubt, or question it), they are typically answered back with scorn, ridicule, and a sense of dogma by those who are believers. (See some responses in this thread)
- This society has completely lost respect for those with differing viewpoints, and the common response now is to answer back with scorn, ridicule, and a sense of dogma. Respecting others is out the window, as everyone has become so deeply tribal and completely unwilling to be decent to other human beings they feel are in a different tribe. (Read most of the responses in this thread).
- Questioning, denying, etc. does not give you a pass on doing your part. Everyone should still be smart about the environment, etc. You don't have to believe the world is coming to an end to be smart about renewables, etc. It's not a my side/your side issue.

Well, I thought the whole story was tongue in cheek, sort of to make everyone feel good for the holidays.

What do I know?

Like most religions, take it with a grain of salt. Just for starters, all scientists do NOT agree that climate change has been going on for millions of years. There is no factual evidence of that, although many scientists bend the evidence to their own beliefs. And there are many scientists that disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahkahn
Well, I thought the whole story was tongue in cheek, sort of to make everyone feel good for the holidays.

What do I know?

Like most religions, take it with a grain of salt. Just for starters, all scientists do NOT agree that climate change has been going on for millions of years. There is no factual evidence of that, although many scientists bend the evidence to their own beliefs. And there are many scientists that disagree.
Glacial period - Wikipedia
After you read this wikipedia article, perhaps you can explain how all this happened without climate changes?
side note: as we don't understand exactly how these changes happened;
we can't EXACTLY determine human contribution.
BUT we can't deny the about 24 BILLION TONS of CO2 added by humans annually is certainly a BIG factor.
Bad sh*t will happen, weather or not people understand how it happens.
As Elon has said - a really stupid experiment just to see how much of a difference all this CO2 makes.

side note: 1 US gallon (~3.8 liters) gasoline = just over 19 lbs. of CO2 - how many gallons you use per week?

Last edited: