Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article from my extreme right wing climate denying Dad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my Dad just posted this on his Facebook. I assure you I am the only person he knows that not only has interest in a Tesla, but stood in line to reserve a Model 3 in March 31, 2016. He's extreme right wing, a climate change denyer, and I think believes it Tesla is some liberal evil organization. I admit I haven't read the whole thing yet, but will be later today. So I thought I'd post this here cause I'd like to read everybody's comments after I do.

Truth in Numbers: Tesla Motors Kind of Lied to Us

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Son we need to talk. I was going to pay for college,but now realize it would be better utilized investing in someone who has respect for their elders.

Also the article is fact based. Why would they want to rush the 3 to market when the profit per unit on the S and X are greater. I would take my sweet time getting the 3 to market and sell CPOs to those that get tired waiting.

Last edited:
The Daily Kanban, referenced in the article, exists solely to spread FUD and discredit Tesla and Elon Musk. At least, that's how its founders have acted over the last few years.

There is often some truth to what they say, but the way they present information is always at the most negative angle/spin they can sow. That's why you see the title of the article use phrases such as "kinda lied," or in the article they use "mildly deceptive," when referencing the Kanban article.

Tesla news brings in the clicks.

The Daily Kanban, referenced in the article, exists solely to spread FUD and discredit Tesla and Elon Musk. At least, that's how its founders have acted over the last few years.

There is often some truth to what they say, but the way they present information is always at the most negative angle/spin they can sow. That's why you see the title of the article use phrases such as "kinda lied," or in the article they use "mildly deceptive."

Tesla news brings in the clicks.
the article referred to the kanban site and that one link does not corrupt the accuracy of the article, can you point to one inaccurate statement in the referenced article?

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Boring news. Elon and company will try to ramp up production best they can. That's the truth, best I can tell. The rest is nitpicking numbers. Maybe Tesla should try to be more accurate here or there, but that's a behind the scenes business discussion. Not relevant in the grander picture. And it's boring.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and bhzmark
Kort, you know exactly what I mean. I'm not going to discuss the accuracy of the numbers, I was discussing how the numbers were used...and providing context for the conclusions drawn from them.
in other words the article might be contrary to your views but there really aren't any sort of inaccuracies.

the op should be faulted for posting his drivel without even reading what he was triggered by.

in other words the article might be contrary to your views but there really aren't any sort of inaccuracies.

the op should be faulted for posting his drivel without even reading what he was triggered by.

Well, since the numbers can clearly be construed to fit whatever narrative someone wants, yes the numbers themselves are accurate.

You originally latched onto this because you're also a climate change diner. To add some context to your comments.

I really don't see anything in that article that is inaccurate. shame on you for being so dismissive of your father's opinions. maybe one day you'll finally mature a bit and learn to listen to those who don't share your opinions, you might actually learn something.

Who said I was dismissing his opinions? I love him very much, including when I don't agree with him. I also stated I have not had time to truly read the article yet. It's long, and I am getting ready for work. I am going to spend time on the article after. Thought some folks here could save me some time.

The article talks about sales tax exemptions in California. I do not live in California. There are many educated people on this forum that I am asking for there thoughts on this.

I AM interested in the parts that are not inaccurate. If you want to discuss that, feel free. If you just want to insult me because you don't agree with me, then get off my post.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic and Adm
Son we need to talk. I was going to pay for college,but now realize it would be better utilized investing in someone who has respect for their elders.

Also the article is fact based. Why would they want to rush the 3 to market when the profit per unit on the S and X are greater. I would take my sweet time getting the 3 to market and sell CPOs to those that get tired waiting.
I'm a 53 year old woman with my own family and a kid preparing for college. Thanks for assuming I'm some disrespectful kid.

I love my father although I disagree with him on most things. He loves me too. I said he was very right wing and a climate change denier because I thought people should know what his perspective is like.

• Funny
Reactions: Beardco
I don't care if the numbers in the article are accurate or not. The important take away for me is that someone is bashing a man, his company and thousands of employees who are working their butts off to change the world for us, our children and future mankind for the better. Insinuating that Elon or Tesla are trying to stick it to the man after all they've done, the several examples of doing the right thing over concern of the bottom line, is an egregious affront. Shame on you. Go pick on the OEMs who've cheated the system and been quietly poisoning us and our planet, go pick on the groups and individuals whose sole focus is to strike terror in our hearts and minds, go pick on companies whose ethics really are compromised. I have no tolerance for those who wish to create and increase negativity because they've got nothing better to do with their lives or simply aren't happy unless everyone else is as unhappy as they themselves. Blech.

The numbers likely aren't accurate. It may be the case that these were the numbers reported to someone at some point, but that doesn't mean they're accurate.

Tesla has repeatedly said to expect 5k/week this year (hopefully) and 10k/week next year. I trust the veracity of those figures above any other figures. If these figures weren't the relevant figures, they wouldn't be repeated so often.

As for the numbers, on the surface it seems that these numbers probably reflect US sales volumes rather than the world. After all the California entities are domestically oriented. It might even have referred to some California only forecasts. We would need to see the actual data before concluding that they were:
1.sandbagging,
2. outrageously optimistic,
3. accurate estimates, or
4. something else.

We cannot even guess since we do not have all the relevant data. Right wing, left wing, anthropogenic climate change denier or not we cannot get much from this topic without source source data.

Reactions: brucet999
As for the numbers, on the surface it seems that these numbers probably reflect US sales volumes rather than the world. After all the California entities are domestically oriented. It might even have referred to some California only forecasts. We would need to see the actual data before concluding that they were:
1.sandbagging,
2. outrageously optimistic,
3. accurate estimates, or
4. something else.

We cannot even guess since we do not have all the relevant data. Right wing, left wing, anthropogenic climate change denier or not we cannot get much from this topic without source source data.
True. That's the food for thought I was looking for.

The answer is very simple:

Tesla will likely install its second production line ELSEWHERE, where it has space, and can reduce battery shipments, such as at the Gigafactory in Nevada.

That logic is totally absent from the Kanban's analysis of the California sales-tax waiver.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
So, my Dad just posted this on his Facebook. I assure you I am the only person he knows that not only has interest in a Tesla, but stood in line to reserve a Model 3 in March 31, 2016. He's extreme right wing, a climate change denyer, and I think believes it Tesla is some liberal evil organization. I admit I haven't read the whole thing yet, but will be later today. So I thought I'd post this here cause I'd like to read everybody's comments after I do.

Truth in Numbers: Tesla Motors Kind of Lied to Us
Forgetting for a moment that the author has a long history of finding drama where there is none & just looking at this on the surface ...

He continuously brings up sales tax exemption, when the best he's got is that they filed for it at the beginning of the year. Has anyone heard anything about it since then? No? Okay, non-issue.

Secondly, it was the beginning of the year when they listed those numbers. That was before Elon set a stretch goal for the organization and upped the numbers. At the time of the filing, the numbers were probably considered wildly optimistic.

I have the author blocked on twitter, and he's returned the favor (something about not wanting to keep his word about eating his hat). The thing about most journalists is that they start out with knowing the story they want to write & then find quotes and bits of data that support that story line. We all think they should be like investigative journalists, who search for the truth -- but they're not. And Daily Kanban has a very well-established storylie when it comes to Tesla.

So I'm not sure on the sales tax credit numbers, but would this be the credit people get when they buy the car? If this is correct, then would we be safe to assume that not all cars are destined for California? Also, will Tesla not assemble model 3's elsewhere after a while?