Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article: I went camping in the trunk of a $145,000 Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• TESLA MODEL S CAMPING 2.jpg
    TESLA MODEL S CAMPING 2.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 236
  • TESLA MODEL S-CAMPING 1.jpg
    TESLA MODEL S-CAMPING 1.jpg
    672 KB · Views: 208
This was my plan for travel; however, agree... bit bummed that the refreshed model S has seats that don't fold completely flat. I'm not sure how problematic it would be; however, I just went and laid in the back of mine and not too bad with head towards the back. Legs are elevated on flat ground, which might be an issue... I'm sure some closed foam could create a padded/raised platform in the back that would resolve this... just would rather not loose storage space to such a solution. But definitely not good with your head towards the front of the vehicle... bump hits right in my lower back.

Might just opt to bring a tent and camp next to my Model S. But figured with many RV campgrounds having NEMA 14-50 outlets, could charge & camp for far less than hotel/destination charges would cost to do the same thing.

I took some closed foam exercise squares I own to build up the floor in the back to make it flush... I'm 6'0" and will say with my head going towards the front, it sits on the headrest and lower than the rest of my body, which is not comfortable. So likely would camp with head towards the back of the car even if I raised the trunk space up with closed foam.

This was my plan for travel; however, agree... bit bummed that the refreshed model S has seats that don't fold completely flat. I'm not sure how problematic it would be; however, I just went and laid in the back of mine and not too bad with head towards the back. Legs are elevated on flat ground, which might be an issue... I'm sure some closed foam could create a padded/raised platform in the back that would resolve this... just would rather not loose storage space to such a solution. But definitely not good with your head towards the front of the vehicle... bump hits right in my lower back.

Might just opt to bring a tent and camp next to my Model S. But figured with many RV campgrounds having NEMA 14-50 outlets, could charge & camp for far less than hotel/destination charges would cost to do the same thing.

To be honest, what the campgrounds charge for 14-50 outlets is not that much cheaper than a budget hotel room. But, it IS pretty cool to do and at least know you can do it every now and then. Also great if the wife kicks you out of the house. :)

I just "camped" in my classic 85 again this past weekend, on the summit of Haleakala here on Maui to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower. I have a full size air mattress that makes the hump where the seats fold a non-issue. Fortunately, I'm only 5' 9", so that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Walta
I just "camped" in my classic 85 again this past weekend, on the summit of Haleakala here on Maui to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower. I have a full size air mattress that makes the hump where the seats fold a non-issue. Fortunately, I'm only 5' 9", so that helps.

Interesting. How was the drive up to the summit in terms of your consumption and how much battery you had left to go "camping"?

Interesting. How was the drive up to the summit in terms of your consumption and how much battery you had left to go "camping"?

I live in Kihei, so it's 52.5 miles from my place to the summit. It used 125 rated miles on the way up, but I gained 29 rated miles coming down, and then used 12 rated miles to get back to Kihei. The net, for driving, was 108 rated miles used to travel the 105 real miles. I only used about 6 rated miles during the night, as it was fairly comfortable (only got down to about 48 degrees, but didn't need to really use hardly any heat).

• Informative
Reactions: Walta
I live in Kihei, so it's 52.5 miles from my place to the summit. It used 125 rated miles on the way up, but I gained 29 rated miles coming down, and then used 12 rated miles to get back to Kihei. The net, for driving, was 108 rated miles used to travel the 105 real miles. I only used about 6 rated miles during the night, as it was fairly comfortable (only got down to about 48 degrees, but didn't need to really use hardly any heat).

Great stuff. Amazing how much charge regen adds.

This seems to be the freshest thread on Camper Mode, and so it seems 8.0 will formally give this to us, hopefully without having to run any exterior lights.

Has anyone on 8 tried out the Cabin Protect to make sure it's made our Model S Camper Mode official ?

I always figured they didn't want to do this to reduce 12V battery replacements (my understanding is the climate runs off 12V and can never directly pull from the traction pack, causing deep cycling of the 12V). But since it might just need to be a 1-2 year consumable for most folks anyway, they figured "why not" especially to promote the safety of the vehicle.

So we might have the tragic losses to thank, in a sad way.

I thought you could just tap the panel and do whatever you wanted now, forever ? I might have read the release notes that were posted online wrong ...

I was figuring you just might have to put a napsack in the passenger seat or something now, instead of leaving the car "running".