Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article: I went camping in the trunk of a $145,000 Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is definitely my plan in the close future. Already got a decent 2-3 inch thick memory foam mattress that I can cut into shape, and currently I'm looking for a piece of foam that evens out the bump. Any suggestions welcome, I'll try the local places first (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc), as I'm not keen on spending so much on shipping a piece of foam... :) We did 2 nights last summer on a regular mattress squeezed in, but the sides were curving up, so we didn't get much space left for 2 of us and the 2 (albeit small) dogs.. Plan is, once the weather is nice and the setup is solid, we will drive as far as up to Canada from the Bay Area and cruise around for a good couple weeks on free supercharging :)

I did this in November as an experiment and used a folded bedspread to help level out the trunk and put an air mattress over that, head forward and a bit diagonal for enough length. It works but with the low ceiling it is bit awkward to move around. My tent is more spacious and comfortable but if it was raining and I didn't want to set up and take down the tent in the rain I might just sleep in the car again.