Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article in CanadianDriver.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which errors are you referring to? :confused: I read the article and found it to be relatively well written, balanced and fair.

I though the $140k CAD pricing was incorrect, but it appears to be right according to the Tesla website.

I found two:
It can't "be fully charged in as little as 3.5 hours by plugging it in to a standard 110-volt outlet." (to be fair might be Tesla's advertising causing the confusion)
The Model S isn't $50,000 USD (again it might be Tesla's fault).

canadian weather

"The only drawback for Canada is that the battery will operate normally only down to minus 17C and can be charged in ambient temperatures above 0C. This could limit winter driving in some areas of the country."

This is the first time I've seen anything mentioned about cold climates and the car. Can anyone comment on this?

I would think the car would still function in cold temperatures (less than -17C) perhaps with a much lower range?

And is the roadster really unable to be re-charged when the temperature is below 0C?

thanks.

edit: perhaps if I want a model S in the future I'll have to insulate and heat my garage a wee bit??

- matt

Last edited:
I though the $140k CAD pricing was incorrect, but it appears to be right according to the Tesla website.

I found two:
It can't "be fully charged in as little as 3.5 hours by plugging it in to a standard 110-volt outlet." (to be fair might be Tesla's advertising causing the confusion)

The $50,000 is definitely Tesla's fault. While Elon was on David Letterman, he said $50,000 and on the Model S page it says $50,000 (at least there is fine print there to say that it includes a 7500$ rebate)...

I found two:
Yep, you're right about the 3.5 hr charge from a 110V outlet. I missed that. On the whole though, I thought Jim Kerr did a pretty good job on the write-up.

From the Tesla blogs...

"As well as controlling ESS temperature during any driving, we also need to keep its temperature within limits whilst charging. The ESS can safely drive the car at ambient temperatures down to -20°C (-4F°). However, charging must only take place at temperatures above 0°C (32°F). For this, we provide a heater within the ESS coolant circuit. This will only ever operate when the car is plugged in for charging."

The Tesla blogs are a great source of info.

Tesla Motors - Engineering

From the Tesla blogs...

"As well as controlling ESS temperature during any driving, we also need to keep its temperature within limits whilst charging. The ESS can safely drive the car at ambient temperatures down to -20°C (-4F°). However, charging must only take place at temperatures above 0°C (32°F). For this, we provide a heater within the ESS coolant circuit. This will only ever operate when the car is plugged in for charging."

The Tesla blogs are a great source of info.

Tesla Motors - Engineering

Thanks for the link, very informative. From the editors comments on the blog link, it looks like the car will not operate if the battery temp is below -20C. I guess that rules out longer trips on very cold days (where the ESS temp could drop below -20C). I guess it's not that big a deal as the average min temperature around here for any given month doesn't drop below -9C. (Statistics: Hamilton Airport, ON, Canada - The Weather Network)

- mnx

You mean this comment:
Editor’s response: The battery pack will need to be plugged in and heated before use if it has become cold-soaked to below -20C. However, in many cases even if the outside temperature drops somewhat below -20C the battery will still be warmer because of the thermal insulation and large thermal mass. It is the battery temperature that matters not the outside air temperature.
On longer trips you should just plug it in when you leave the car standing for longer durations.
While driving, the battery won't ever get below zero. Not on Earth at least, maybe Moon.

Perhaps I was a little harsh when I said "shall we count the errors" It's just that I'm tired of seeing article after article stating that the Tesla can be fully charged in 3.5 hours on a standard 110v circuit. This is spreading disinformation and considering how the rest of the article seems on average well researched, how can the author get this import fact wrong. As for using the Roadster in cold weather, although possible, I think this would not be advisable. How many super car owners take their cars out to play in the snow anyway. (other than Porsche maybe) If you read Cottonwood's story about his interesting road trip, you'll see why this isn't an ideal winter car.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-roadster/2832-road-trips.html

My biggest disappointment was with the defroster performance. The heater/defrost function seemed to be able to produce plenty of heat, but the air was not directed well. I was running with full heat, max fan, no recirculation, and all defrost, and I got to see things like this, Poor Defrost Performance The drivers side would sort of clear, and the passenger side never cleared completely. The biggest problem was that the sides of the windshield never cleared and just got more condensation. Also, the side windows in front of the rear view mirrors never cleared. I would hate to be out on a really cold, snowy night in this car, and will make it a point not to do so.

Perhaps I was a little harsh when I said "shall we count the errors" It's just that I'm tired of seeing article after article stating that the Tesla can be fully charged in 3.5 hours on a standard 110v circuit. This is spreading disinformation and considering how the rest of the article seems on average well researched, how can the author get this import fact wrong. As for using the Roadster in cold weather, although possible, I think this would not be advisable. How many super car owners take their cars out to play in the snow anyway. (other than Porsche maybe) If you read Cottonwood's story about his interesting road trip, you'll see why this isn't an ideal winter car.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-roadster/2832-road-trips.html

I totally hear you, I was thinking several years ahead about the possibility of a model S. (assuming the battery tech is mostly the same).

- mnx