Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article on Model S fans vs. Prius fans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cant stand the Prius, not because of the vehicle itself, but what seems to "come with" owning the vehicle.
My opinion from MY experiences dealing with Prius Owners (Once again, I will repeat, MY OPINION from MY EXPERIENCES) (I work in the auto business and deal with many different types of vehicles on a daily basis, and many different people on a daily basis).
My experience thus far, as been the SMUG factor. I know I am going to take a lot of heat for my comments, and I am not generalizing this of ALL Prius owners, but a vast majority.
For starters, South Park (and I hate to say it), hit the nail on the head with the "Smug" attitude of Prius owners. ONCE AGAIN, NOT SAYING ALL PRIUS OWNERS, BUT THE MAJORITY OF THE PRIUS OWNERS I HAVE MET!
It's the whole Smug, better then everyone else attitude that seemed to popup with driving a Prius. And I do NOT see this from other Hybrid owners (Insight, Escape, Civic & the list goes on). The whole, "I'm saving the planet because I drive a Prius", and one we get quite often at our shop, is the entitlement attitude. It's a Prius, so it must be worked on first before everyone elses vehicle. I also see the "I can do no wrong" attitude & hypocrite attitude as well. One moment they are "saving the planet", the next, they are tossing their hamburger wrapper out the car door when they think no one is looking (generalizing on that one as a example).
The entitlement attitude mixed with Smug seems to just overwhelm the majority of Prius owners I've met. I blame much of this though, to how the vehicle was Marketed. It was marketed in a manor to "suggest" driving the Prius was Saving the Planet and makes you better then non Hybrid owners.

Now, I will repeat for a hundreth time, I am not saying this of ALL Prius owners. I have met some very stand up, nice, respectable owners. Though, I GREATLY do not see the above attitude from drivers of other hybrids, specifically, the original Insights. Many of the owners of the Original Insights (The ones that got 60+mpg), seem to be as crazy as me, and just love the vehicle, and have fun driving them. Seem more laid back and at peace with life.

Now, for Tesla Owners, I do NOT see the SMUG or Entitlement factor; well, actually, I do, however, if I would rate Prius owners attitudes like that, it would rate at a 90% Smug and Entitlement, where as I rate Tesla Owners as a 2-5% like that. And I do not see it as Smug, I see it more as Entitlement, with understanding. Most cases of the Entitlement, are because they felt they spent HUGE money on a vehicle, and did not get treated in the manor of, or did not receive "huge money" type treatment. Bit hard to explain. I can understand that in a way.
I am not happy that my MS had to go in a second time to have the water issues in my trunk door and tail lights fixed, and I do expect them to fix it. but that is a different type of entitlement/expectation.

I know I am dragging this on, and will end it here. time for work. I know I am going to get plenty of hate mail for speaking my mind.

Wow...and I was just pointing out how silly the article was, reducing car owners to "yoga" or "strip clubs and jim beam"...you seem to really hate your job. Maybe you should just fix the cars and hire someone else to deal with the customers, since they all seem to annoy you.

(Just generalizing, but you seemed not to have anything nice to say about any of your customers).

PS I don't own a Prius

Wow...and I was just pointing out how silly the article was, reducing car owners to "yoga" or "strip clubs and jim beam"...you seem to really hate your job. Maybe you should just fix the cars and hire someone else to deal with the customers, since they all seem to annoy you.

(Just generalizing, but you seemed not to have anything nice to say about any of your customers).

PS I don't own a Prius

When did I say I hate all my customers? When did I say I hate my job? When did I say all my customers all annoy me? When did I say all my customers were Prius owners?
Talk was about Prius owners and Tesla Owners. I was pointing out my observations and differences in attitudes between them (Prius owners and Tesla Owners). Sorry I struck a Smug nerve, however, I specifically stated multiple times I was not talking about all Prius owners, just the majority of the ones I've met. If you would like, I could tell you the general attitudes of Big 4x4 off road owners, Harley Riders, Cadillac & Lincoln owners, BMW Owners, Honda/Nissan owners, Toyota owners, Scion owners (hope you get the point).

Personally, as long as your not acting like a complete jackass, your moneys as green as everyone else's. Only customers I hate are the ones that don't pay their bill, and the dead ones. Dead Customer = Bad customer. Wish more people listened when I tell them to ware a helmet.

- - - Updated - - -

Used to be that Cadillac owners where the more arrogant drivers with a "I own the road" attitude. At least the Prius owners don't drive that way.
Agreed. I will give that to them.
Currently, at least here in Milwaukee County, it appears the Dodge Chargers, Corvette's and different Audi's are dominating the road with the road hog mentality. Out of nowhere I've seen a large increase in said vehicles on the roads.
And of course, their are the REAL Road Hogs (Harley's), at least they mostly have the sense to travel in packs, and mostly are rather curious to other drivers (Apparently, Specifically a Model S Driver that is blasting AC/DC and Zz Top :)

Last edited:
For starters, South Park (and I hate to say it), hit the nail on the head with the "Smug" attitude of Prius owners. ONCE AGAIN, NOT SAYING ALL PRIUS OWNERS, BUT THE MAJORITY OF THE PRIUS OWNERS I HAVE MET!

I think this is similar to "beware of drivers that wear hats while driving" or "Asian drivers are poor drivers". Once you start noticing drivers with hats, anytime you see one doing something odd while driving it reinforces the perception.

I think this is similar to "beware of drivers that wear hats while driving" or "Asian drivers are poor drivers". Once you start noticing drivers with hats, anytime you see one doing something odd while driving it reinforces the perception.

Well, so is it bad to say I can vouch for the asian drivers are poor drivers (Wife is Viet, + her 2 sisters, brother and mom live with me, and each has at least 2 vehicle totals in the last 10 years) (NO WAY in heck any of them are ever touching my Tesla)

Never heard of the wearing hats while driving. What do they say? I am almost required to wear my Fedora whenever I'm out, It's part of my "look". It's that final confirmation for people to recognize me (Weather I'm here in Milwaukee, Houston, Dallas, Vegas, Chicago..... No hat, no recognize, wear hat, I always get a few).

Well, so is it bad to say I can vouch for the asian drivers are poor drivers (Wife is Viet, + her 2 sisters, brother and mom live with me, and each has at least 2 vehicle totals in the last 10 years) (NO WAY in heck any of them are ever touching my Tesla)

Never heard of the wearing hats while driving. What do they say? I am almost required to wear my Fedora whenever I'm out, It's part of my "look". It's that final confirmation for people to recognize me (Weather I'm here in Milwaukee, Houston, Dallas, Vegas, Chicago..... No hat, no recognize, wear hat, I always get a few).

The point is that some Asian drivers are bad and some are good. I know several from both categories. However, if you are looking for it then every time you see an instance of it, it will reinforce your position.

I've had several people tell me to watch out for drivers who wear hats because they are always poor drivers and will likely do something erratic. I don't think it's true but the only ones you are likely to notice are the ones that do something erratic. A kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Caveat that their "research" is meaningless because they didn't random poll.

But maybe the difference between Prius drivers and Tesla drivers is that a Prius driver must constantly remind themselves that they are sacrificing to save the environment because a Prius is a punishment car. Tesla drivers don't focus on the environment factor when talking about the car because they feel guilty that the Tesla is so incredibly awesome *and* good for the environment - nothing as awesome as the Tesla should really be good for anything!

Note: I still have my Prius so I am qualified to call it a punishment car, and I never drive it anymore if I can help it.

We still have both.

.... a Prius driver must constantly remind themselves that they are sacrificing to save the environment ...the Tesla is so incredibly awesome ....

Right. Prius is "sacrifice".
Tesla is "no compromise".

Heard this at a Tesla delivery. For those making the move from the Toyota to the Tesla, The former is being called the PRE-S.

Heard this at a Tesla delivery. For those making the move from the Toyota to the Tesla, The former is being called the PRE-S.

With all due respect to those who love their Prii/Priuses/Priae, and after having received the Prius somewhere about 5 times as rental cars, the Prius is the "pre-S" in the same way that an old rusty fork is the predecessor to Deere's plow. :)

I know that some people love their Prius, but honestly, it seems like compromise in every single way to me. Just my opinion, though, and I respect everyone else's. I've been happily passing Prii/Priuses/Priae for years and will continue to do so.

With all due respect to those who love their Prii/Priuses/Priae, and after having received the Prius somewhere about 5 times as rental cars, the Prius is the "pre-S" in the same way that an old rusty fork is the predecessor to Deere's plow. :)

I know that some people love their Prius, but honestly, it seems like compromise in every single way to me. Just my opinion, though, and I respect everyone else's. I've been happily passing Prii/Priuses/Priae for years and will continue to do so.

I couldn't agree more. I never considered owning a Prius, not even for the slightest moment. I bought my BMW 335d because it's fast and still economical when I want it to be. I'm getting my Tesla because it's along those same lines, but even more so. Plus I'm a huge fan of all the technology involved. The Prius just screams "boring" to me. To each their own, however.

I was so impressed with the 2001 Prius I bought for Denise that I bought a 2004 for myself. It was hard to go back to any old fashioned car after driving a Prius. However, it's 5X as hard to go back from a Model S. Ten years ago the Prius was the best car you could buy. It was the first car in a very long time that actually had some innovative engineering rather than just regurgitating the same old technology and boosting it with advertising. However, Toyota hasn't done a thing to materially improve the Prius (My opinion is that the last iteration of the Prius was a step backwards) and now the technology is just kind of old. I wouldn't buy one these days or any car with an ICE.