Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article on Model S fans vs. Prius fans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And then the article you highlighted derived some awful conclusions from the already awful data set.
Well, it's a non-random sample, but it's not biased in any *obvious* way, apart from being biased towards the sort of people who join "personalization networks" online. You could probably come to some conclusions, but the conclusions are going to be about what people self-advertise as interests, rather than what people are actually interested in. Those are not the same thing.

I don't often visit strip clubs drink Jim Beam or smoke weed, but when I do, it's in a Tesla Model S.

download.jpeg

Last edited:
What’s new and different about the recent Strategic Vision research findings is that electric vehicles as a category are more or less synonymous with the Toyota Prius.
Well there's your problem. "Our research shows that people don't like ice cream when you consider a pile of peanuts to be ice cream." (Full disclosure: I like both peanuts and ice cream. And sometimes together.)

On the other hand, 90 percent of Tesla owners rate “performance” as their top priority, especially “handling and cornering.”

That suggests there’s a wealthier, more male, more luxury-performance oriented audience for electric vehicles that niche automaker Tesla can’t satisfy by itself.
Or... maybe it just shows that if you make a performant, well-handling vehicle then people will buy it -- whether or not it's electric. Imagine that. People want stuff that doesn't suck.

Or... maybe it just shows that if you make a performant, well-handling vehicle then people will buy it -- whether or not it's electric. Imagine that. People want stuff that doesn't suck.

As usual, we can count on brianman to cut through the BS (not to be confused with MS) and get right the point.

:smile:

The problem with a study like this is that it's based on what people say they do, not necessarily what they do. Electric car owners rightfully feel good about their environmental footprint, but chances are, that had little to do with their buying decision.

The article points out that Strategic Visions study found that 90 percent of Tesla owners rate “performance” as their top priority, especially “handling and cornering.”, Close to 100 percent of other EV or gasoline-electric hybrid (Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf and Toyota Prius plug-in hybrid) owners focus on “fuel economy” as their top priority. Which means to me that being "green" is NOT the reason most people buys EV's. People buy Tesla's because they are great cars all around, people buy other EV's because of "Fuel Economy" which to me means "Gas Prices", not "Save the Planet".

Tesla folks, just get it all in one package (and at a premium at least for now)...but again, I defer to brianman's more succinct conclusion:People want stuff that doesn't suck.

Tesla doesn't suck gas, and it doesn't suck in performance.

Owned a 2009 911 s. test drove a new 911s. If it had the instant acceleration and the tech of the p85, I would have considered the 911 because of the "on a rail" handling (I would mention my Panamera test drive, but don't want to start yet another thread war involving "theking"). Never even thought about the butt-ugly Prius. Am presently going through the torture of waiting for delivery of my P85.

Priorities:

performance 10
tech. 10
electric. 1

Jim beam 0
tanqueray gin 10
weed - roundup kills that stuff and my yard looks great

p.s. in the spirit of obscure movie references: No matter matter where you go.....there you are.....

EDIT: am a major music fan - vinyl is the only way to go......

Well there's your problem. "Our research shows that people don't like ice cream when you consider a pile of peanuts to be ice cream." (Full disclosure: I like both peanuts and ice cream. And sometimes together.)

Lol, I should make that my signature...

You are so right.

Electric is just a other propulsion method. I can't afford the Ferrari FF so the Model S will do... :)

The article points out that Strategic Visions study found that 90 percent of Tesla owners rate “performance” as their top priority, especially “handling and cornering.”, Close to 100 percent of other EV or gasoline-electric hybrid (Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf and Toyota Prius plug-in hybrid) owners focus on “fuel economy” as their top priority. Which means to me that being "green" is NOT the reason most people buys EV's. People buy Tesla's because they are great cars all around, people buy other EV's because of "Fuel Economy" which to me means "Gas Prices", not "Save the Planet".

Tesla folks, just get it all in one package (and at a premium at least for now)...but again, I defer to brianman's more succinct conclusion:People want stuff that doesn't suck.

Tesla doesn't suck gas, and it doesn't suck in performance.

This is exactly what I would have expected. No surprises here.

. Ten years ago the Prius was the best car you could buy.

I know you are joking...

I'm guessing jerry33 was pointing referring to the other 'reason people by EV's'. "Green" or "Fuel Economy"...10 years ago Prius was the best car in those two categories, (if that was the your top buying decision), though Prius lacked in many other areas.

(BTW..I'm not judging the owners of Prius, Nissan Leaf or Tesla. This was always intended to be an exercise in "buying decisions" not a judgement on people)

I'm guessing jerry33 was pointing referring to the other 'reason people by EV's'. "Green" or "Fuel Economy"...10 years ago Prius was the best car in those two categories, (if that was the your top buying decision), though Prius lacked in many other areas.

Also technical innovation, styling, and fun-to-drive. It was in a tie the "most fun" car I've driven up to the Model S.