Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article on Supercharging effect on Model S battery capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, and that means he published without doing the minimal research needed to know that:
1. periodic recalibration (i.e. going from range charge to low SOC) is needed to maintain high reliability of screen estimations.

Did you read the article? He did do a recommended re-calibration which did show and "increase and recovery" in lost range. The amount or range increase was deceptive because the amount of energy extracted from his battery showed very little improvement.

I certainly wouldn't argue that you are not experiencing that.
What I can argue is that your experience is typical.

There are numerous reports and data showing that much range loss is very unusual.
What has the service center said?

I have similar numbers as @JohnQ. I did ask my Service Center about it and they said the battery was operating as designed, or something like that.

I have too many other more fun things to do than obsess over my battery charge numbers. But for future planning I occasionally take a look, very rarely make the effort to recalibrate (once in 18 months, IIRC, on a road trip). Currently after 46,500km the rated miles shows about a 4% degradation. This is without the take-3-or-4-100%-charges-from-near-zero effort to eek out another couple of km on the estimated range indicator.

My attitude is, after everything I've read, predicted degradation of the Model S battery, after 10-15 years, is likely (hopefully? in dreams? who knows) *around* 90%. But let's say it's way worse than that. After 10 or 15 years, if my battery is degraded double that, or, to 80% range, that means my 85kWh battery will give me about 320km. In 8 or 10 years from now, I'll make a decision whether that's still enough for me. It's certainly enough for around town, and certainly there will be superchargers aplenty to get anywhere in the US by that time... not the Canadian prairies but that's a whole other post :-( ). If it's enough for me, great! If it isn't, the GF batteries will be well along and if I choose to replace the battery I'm quite sure it will be about the cost of replacing a motor and transmission in a hapless ICE.

EDIT: about 20,000 of those 46k km are from supercharging, on road trips.

My attitude is, after everything I've read, predicted degradation of the Model S battery, after 10-15 years, is likely (hopefully? in dreams? who knows) *around* 90%. But let's say it's way worse than that. After 10 or 15 years, if my battery is degraded double that, or, to 80% range, that means my 85kWh battery will give me about 320km. In 8 or 10 years from now, I'll make a decision whether that's still enough for me.

I'm already at about 90% (52,000 miles / 28 months) but agree with the sentiment. It's one of the reasons I opted for the 85 in the first place... so that I'd still have usable range after some degradation.