TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Article: "Tesla Patents Next-Gen Electric Car Battery that Gets 400 Miles on a Single

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by ecarfan, Apr 12, 2015.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I suspect this article gets a lot of things wrong, and may be completely incorrect. I am not aware of any reliable information indicating that Tesla is pursuing a battery design as described in this article, but perhaps they are.

Tesla Patents Next-Gen Electric Car Battery that Gets 400 Miles on a Single Charge | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
    Tesla Patents Next-Gen Electric Car Battery that Gets 400 Miles on a Single Charge | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
    ----

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

That's interesting. I would expect a metal air battery to be used as a "range extender" rather than it be described as a "hybrid." And you have to replace the battery after you've used it...because you can't "recharge" metal air batteries as the term is used for current EV batteries.

Tesla would need a way of installing and removing these batteries...conveniently.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Is this just the rehash of the hybrid battery idea?

4. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

The article is dated Sept of 2013. I remember seeing it then. So old, I doubt there's anything to it.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I missed seeing the publication date. Tiny font size.
    Thanks.