TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Article: "Tesla Patents Next-Gen Electric Car Battery that Gets 400 Miles on a Single

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by ecarfan, Apr 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I suspect this article gets a lot of things wrong, and may be completely incorrect. I am not aware of any reliable information indicating that Tesla is pursuing a battery design as described in this article, but perhaps they are.

Tesla Patents Next-Gen Electric Car Battery that Gets 400 Miles on a Single Charge | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
    Tesla Patents Next-Gen Electric Car Battery that Gets 400 Miles on a Single Charge | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
    ----

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

That's interesting. I would expect a metal air battery to be used as a "range extender" rather than it be described as a "hybrid." And you have to replace the battery after you've used it...because you can't "recharge" metal air batteries as the term is used for current EV batteries.

Tesla would need a way of installing and removing these batteries...conveniently.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Is this just the rehash of the hybrid battery idea?

4. Electricfan

Electricfan Active Member

The article is dated Sept of 2013. I remember seeing it then. So old, I doubt there's anything to it.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I missed seeing the publication date. Tiny font size.
    Thanks.