Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
side note: reminder the auto/road transportation is very large. After 100 years the largest market share is what? 10-12% at most.
Plenty of room for great transportation companies.

my bias - my opinion
Biggest threat is Wall Street Market manipulations - stock price vs product focus.
Elon seems to think similarly. continuous improvement is key to competitiveness

I’m still looking for several more people to give feedback on draft versions of blog posts. Part 3 is coming soon, just need a few more people to preview it. And I’m working on Parts 4-7 right now. Looks like this series will be at least 8 parts.

Reactions: immunogold
One example is the Twitter argument Elon got into with the farting unicorn artist’s daughter. I was a complete net negative for Elon as almost all media outlets who covered the story (which a lot did) portrayed Elon as a bully.

So this is an example of assigning excessive importance to a minor event. I follow all things Tesla and Elon more closely than most people and this particular incident was such a non event that it either never registered on my radar or I've completely forgotten about it until your post. Was it an unfortunate and unnecessary event for Tesla/Elon? Sure. Was it at all significant and worth bringing it back into the light? I think not.

Regarding the media, I doubt Elon is seen as a "bully" when engaging with journalists, the media is not usually seen as a defenseless underdog. (Those intent on attacking everything Elon does will of course try to skew it that way just as they skew everything he does negatively)

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and Brando
So this is an example of assigning excessive importance to a minor event. I follow all things Tesla and Elon more closely than most people and this particular incident was such a non event that it either never registered on my radar or I've completely forgotten about it until your post. Was it an unfortunate and unnecessary event for Tesla/Elon? Sure. Was it at all significant and worth bringing it back into the light? I think not.

Regarding the media, I doubt Elon is seen as a "bully" when engaging with journalists, the media is not usually seen as a defenseless underdog. (Those intent on attacking everything Elon does will of course try to skew it that way just as they skew everything he does negatively)

I agree with your first paragraph, but disagree strongly with your second paragraph. The victim mentality is very strong among journalists, and tribalism is also very strong. So, defending yourself against a journalist will be read as attacking a journalist, and that “attack” will then be read as an attack on journalism as a whole.

This is why the whole Pravduh thing was so misguided. Elon was completely right on the substance of the matter— journalism is terrible & would greatly benefit from crowdsourced reputational rankings— and completely wrong about how journalists would react to the argument. Instead of discussing the idea itself, they just attacked it as an attack on journalism & free speech.

This reaction by journalists was, in my opinion, insane but completely predictable. Elon’s inability to predict these insane but predictable reactions is the primary reason I think he needs someone to curate his social media.

Reactions: neroden
I'm really sorry Dave (that is my problem I know). I think we (US citizens) lost the media wars long ago.
Is there anything in the media you actually trust? At best I think of Ronny's line - Trust but Verify.
Personally, I distrust first until I can verify. Seems to work more often than not.
Tesla has never had "good press" if I'm remembering correctly (this could be another problem of mine).

Talking/showing your Teslas is worth more than a thousand words (10,000 words?). I suspect you already do.

For those that play the stock market and try to understand Wall St. then the best strategy I've read about is:
A Field Guide To Potential Securities Violations By Tesla's Foes — In Depth | CleanTechnica

I really worry your energy is being miss directed. BUT if it is your passion, then by all means you must be true to yourself and follow your passion to where it leads. And please don't get discouraged. Most all of us really appreciate your well thought out articles and comments.
AND you are so fortunate to own 2 of the 4 Tesla models. enjoy - sure you are.

good luck and good fortune and thanks again.

PS- as you well know, Elon has always avoided the Madison Avenue angle. Better to just have the best product - spend money on improving the product and NOT spend money trying to convince people you have a great product. continuous improvement as fast as reasonable - staying ahead of the competition (when we actually get some real competition).

warning: I'm not all that clever/smart when it comes to our modern world and understanding how it works.

Last edited:
Some good/fine Tesla Model 3 review from various publications
10 Reviews Of Tesla Model 3 Performance | CleanTechnica

PS- thanks ggr

As I'm so old, I remember Ronney when he was ad spokesman for GE - "Better Living Through Chemistry"
That was perhaps a little too optimistic. Not sure when "one-use plastics" got started.
Anyway, we certainly live in both the chemical & electronic age.

When Ron was president:
"The former president underwent extensive annual medical exams in which doctors “were particularly careful to do all kinds of tests about his memory and his mental condition, particularly looking for any signs of deterioration of his mental condition,”

Can't we get these same exams for the Donald ?? Since one of his sons lives in Seattle here is a story
Ron Reagan’s memoir prompts disbelief, rage

Reactions: neroden
Here's part 4 in my blog series. I start to go into some details on how I think Tesla should counter the negative propaganda campaign.

DaveT on Chatstarter: "Part 4: The Turning Tide - How Tesla can win the negative propaganda war against their company and founder"

Thanks Dave for the post.

In my opinion, this approach is a) far too expensive and b) has a low chance to stick with the majority that view it.

I think Tesla's current approach of fighting this is understated in nature, but has the best chance of succeeding. The word of mouth of Tesla owners, which is growing exponentially by the day with the massive success of Model 3, will in my opinion counteract any negative propaganda that's put out by the media and/or special interest groups. The people that view these materials are going to be increasingly either a) owners of a Tesla or b) one text away from a Tesla owner. Either one of these groups will feverishly defend Tesla and Elon in its current state and will render all negative press essentially useless. People simply won't buy the garbage.

I don't think Tesla needs to take any measures whatsoever to create a positive image campaign. What I think Tesla should focus all its energy on is creating massive coverage of the repair network, increase part availability, and shorten repair times down to days instead of weeks. This will ensure that Tesla's current strategy will remain strong for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.