Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent M3 review. I predict that DaveT will be pleased. They both like the M3 more than than the MS!
I really like the content of this review of the M3 and the podcast format:

81 – 1,000 Miles with Model 3
We do a deep dive into living with the Model 3 for two weeks and over 1,000 miles. Caleb drove the Model 3 from Palo Alto to LA and back and lived with it for two weeks. We discuss everything about the vehicle from Autopilot, to the interior, to ergonomics to the UI, and more.

From my DS today:
“We don’t have any hard dates but as of now we are expecting delivery of your vehicle to be mid to late December.”

Thx Dave. I assume same for me. Until I get confirmation from my DS

I’m VIN 1978

The VINs 1960-2003 all appear to be blue cars. I’ve heard 1977 and 1989 were spotted already in Fremont.
I assume mines in transit to SoCal

Last edited:
Reactions: Intl Professor
So they are working on a holiday? Great.

Congratulations! I am sure you will report - looking forward to that.
26th isn't a holiday in the US, except when Christmas is on Sunday (then get 26th instead) or Thursday (when they mostly don't ask people to come to work on the friday, but then treat it as forced vacation).

Thanks for the correction. I am coming from a country where employees have 10 paid holidays plus 25-30 days paid vacation plus any number of paid sick days (as long as a doctor acknowledges an illness; employer pays the first 6 weeks, then the health insurance kicks in).

I could not even contemplate the 26th not being a holiday.

Thanks for the correction. I am coming from a country where employees have 10 paid holidays plus 25-30 days paid vacation plus any number of paid sick days (as long as a doctor acknowledges an illness; employer pays the first 6 weeks, then the health insurance kicks in).

I could not even contemplate the 26th not being a holiday.

Most companies are shut down between Christmas and New Years. Some people take it off as vacation time, other companies shut down operations and have a paid holiday. When I was at Boeing, that week was a paid holiday. When I was there as a student someone told me if I worked up to the last day before the holiday, I could get paid for the whole holiday, so I ended up with an extra week's pay.

I'm contracting now, so I don't get paid holidays at all. If I want time off, I get nothing for it. Though they pay me pretty good per hour and I work a bit extra every week to pay for my time off.

The company varies in their holiday work schedule, sometimes they are officially working at least part of the holiday week and other years they are shut down, but most people take vacation that week. It depends on if they have any big orders pending or not. What I do is more on the R&D end so there is never any pressure to get anything out the door at the end of the year. I sometimes need to support projects that are going on, I was putting in a lot of hours a little over a year ago supporting a new project, but that wrapped up by mid-December.

Retail is a different thing though. Most retail places are closed on Christmas, but open every other day so people need to go to work. Most stores have after Christmas sales that start on the 26th to clear out leftover Christmas stock. People also return things that they didn't want or didn't fit right starting on the 26th. I had to go to Costco (a big warehouse store originally intended for businesses, but a lot of the public shops there now) on the 26th once. The line of people returning stuff was huge. There were probably 200+ people in line.

Tesla will probably have limited operations next week. The stores will be open, so will roadside assistance, and the factory may be running because of the Model 3 backlog. But the engineering and design departments will probably be shut down or the people who will be in are there in the same way they might be on a weekend. American high tech companies, especially young ones, are notorious for indirectly expecting employees to be there on weekends. They aren't supposed to, but it's expected.

Microsoft was referred to as a "velvet sweatshop" back in the 90s. 80 hour weeks were the norm and anyone who took the weekend off would be seen as slacking. Elon has always worked that way and he expects everyone else to also.

Reactions: DaveT
Status
Not open for further replies.