Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to @FredTMC, I was able to drive his Model 3 for about 30 minutes yesterday.

I was in shock all day.

The car blew me away. Way beyond my expectations.

Electrek put out an article saying the Model 3 is all we hoped it to be. Wrong. Completely wrong. It’s not what we hoped it to be. It’s way beyond that.

The car is truly amazing to drive.

The handling is much better than a BMW 3 series. I don’t think it’s even close. When I took my first corner, my mouth dropped. It felt like taking a corner in a Miata. I didn’t think it was possible to hug a corner like that in a sedan.

Acceleration is quick and what we’re used to driving a Tesla, which means it’s in a class to itself.

I was surprised at how quiet the cabin was driving at 70mph. Much quieter than my 2013 P85. I wasn’t expecting that. And ride comfort on the freeway seemed similar to my much larger P85. I didn’t expect that either.

Somehow Tesla managed to make a car with super handling but without sacrificing much comfort. Add in the latest tech/Autopilot and 300+ mile range. Tons of cargo space, spacious front and rear seats, incredible front visibility.

This car puts everything in its class to shame.

Complete game-changer.

Thanks Dave. I completely agree. My son and I are blown away

In June of 2012, Tesla went on a U.S. tour with about a half dozen beta S's, and if you had a deposit in, you could test drive one for about 15 minutes. I went with my wife and kids. It was absolutely mind-blowing. The acceleration, the smoothness, everything was changed in our minds forever.

I did 2 things that day: changed my reservation from a 40 to a P85, and bought the stock. I tend to feel that we're in a similar situation today.

In June of 2012, Tesla went on a U.S. tour with about a half dozen beta S's, and if you had a deposit in, you could test drive one for about 15 minutes. I went with my wife and kids. It was absolutely mind-blowing. The acceleration, the smoothness, everything was changed in our minds forever.

I did 2 things that day: changed my reservation from a 40 to a P85, and bought the stock. I tend to feel that we're in a similar situation today.

I've wondered about what percentage of model s/x owners own Tesla stock after buying the car and the positive feedback loop this creates. In my own experience of knowing a handful of owners IRL a majority also made meaningful investments into Tesla stock. I wonder how this will play out with model 3 owners, good luck shorts.

I've wondered about what percentage of model s/x owners own Tesla stock after buying the car and the positive feedback loop this creates. In my own experience of knowing a handful of owners IRL a majority also made meaningful investments into Tesla stock. I wonder how this will play out with model 3 owners, good luck shorts.
Yep, add me to that list. Never bought individual stocks before 2013. When I got my first Model S, I had my first "Oh My God" moment and started buying stock. I've been accumulating for 4 years now, on every major dip. I study TSLA and the transition of other automakers to EV, solar, storage, the future of peaker power plants, etc., probably an hour a day. Tesla just keeps looking better and better. I am so grateful to the shorts for giving me the pullbacks I needed to motivate me to buy more stock. I should be able to retire now much sooner than I ever expected.

Yep, add me to that list. Never bought individual stocks before 2013. When I got my first Model S, I had my first "Oh My God" moment and started buying stock. I've been accumulating for 4 years now, on every major dip. I study TSLA and the transition of other automakers to EV, solar, storage, the future of peaker power plants, etc., probably an hour a day. Tesla just keeps looking better and better. I am so grateful to the shorts for giving me the pullbacks I needed to motivate me to buy more stock. I should be able to retire now much sooner than I ever expected.
Put me on that list too. First bought stock after I test drove a Model S in May 2015. I bought one in July 2015. I've been increasing my allocation to TSLA since then. Started doing LEAPs in May 2017. My conviction in the company has grown stronger, though I admit it was a little shaken with the initial Model X reveal. This Model 3 is BIG news in every way. Very very glad to be a Long.

I made a habit of asking other S owners from 2012-2014 if they also bought stock. Overwhelming number said no (or just a few shares), mostly because they'd read that it was overvalued. Not a huge sample size, but I was certainly surprised that more didn't move in like I did.

Put me in the category of buy the car...buy the stock.
It really seems that the people who print the almost daily negative news about the direction of Tesla miss the sea change world wide to clean and sustainable.

There will be bumps and mistakes along the way for sure but the direction is clear.

Same here.

I put in a deposit for the S, then immediately bought stock ("don't put all your eggs in one basket" is not for me). Later on I couldn't wait any longer and got the roadster, because it was available. Bought more stock.
I am recommending the stock to friends and family. They have bought a bunch.

Same here. I'd put a deposit on an S and then was seduced by the (presumably) light side of the Force into buying a Roadster.
Owning the Roadster led me to watch TMC very closely and when MS was just coming out, I bought what seemed at the time a good number of shares around 40. I've never stopped being grateful to the TMC members active back then (some still leading posters) for reinforcing my Roadster experiences and convincing me Tesla would succeed with MS and keep going from there.

Since we are all confessing:). I was a 'mutual fund guy' mostly till 2012. We wanted to get a new car in 2012 and my 13 year old daughter was pushing for a 'greener' car. I googled 'electric cars' and Tesla came up. Nearest showroom at the time was 2+ hour drive away. At that time on the east coast you had to schedule test drives far in advance.

My wife and I test drove an S in late 2012. We placed an order on the spot and when I got home I gathered as much free cash as I could muster (should have sold all those mutual funds as well) and bought as many shares as we could.

Seeing all this high praise for 3 I am finding it hard to imagine the reaction to the dual motor 3
tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: generalenthu
Originally I was planning on keeping my P85 and using my new Model 3 for 6-12 months, and then selling both to buy a S or X 100D.

But after my recent test drive, I’m now planning on selling my S and using the Model 3 as my main family car. I’m mostly driving with my wife and 2 kids or at least one kid in the rear so I thought the Model 3 would be too firm/bumpy compared to my S. But I think the 3 will be fine. But I’ll keep my S for maybe a week or so after getting my 3 so I can make a better comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.