Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, you and I have exactly the same Model 3. I picked mine up about 8 days ago. In my case I am having SunTek clear bra done on the frontal area and the rear bumper. That is what I did on my S and it worked perfectly against any rock chips up front and any luggage damage at the rear bumper. I have to say, the Model 3 is awesome. But my S is so much quieter, more comfortable, and roomier. I do prefer driving my S. If I was a person with a long wait, really any person who is going to have only one Tesla, I'd strongly suggest an S 75.

Dave, you and I have exactly the same Model 3. I picked mine up about 8 days ago. In my case I am having SunTek clear bra done on the frontal area and the rear bumper. That is what I did on my S and it worked perfectly against any rock chips up front and any luggage damage at the rear bumper. I have to say, the Model 3 is awesome. But my S is so much quieter, more comfortable, and roomier. I do prefer driving my S. If I was a person with a long wait, really any person who is going to have only one Tesla, I'd strongly suggest an S 75.

Hi Gene, yes I need to amend my earlier first driving impressions made a week ago. My Model 3 is louder on the freeway and also more firm than my Model S. The Model S is the more comfortable and spacious car but the Model 3 has other things going for it.

Last edited:

Why don’t you sell the Leaf and keep the S?

Why don’t you sell the Leaf and keep the S?
Original plan has been for me to use this white Model 3, I just got, for several months and sell the S at this time. Then buy a new S when the refresh comes and at that time sell the white Model 3. In a few weeks I will have a Model 3 for my son, he wants Midnight Silver. My wife wants a Model 3 in Silver but short range and no Premium Package. One option is to sell the Model 3 in white now (any offers?). Second option is to wait until April to sell the Model 3 after receiving federal incentive and either keep my wonderful 2013 S (love the large frunk, and so many memories in this car), or sell this S and buy a new S (refresh or not) in April. Lastly, if my wife is fine with white, just let her have this one, cancel hers, keep my S until a refresh S comes out. Whew!! Too many choices.

I really have to say that the Model 3 handling in the curves is much better. The fantastic range is amazing, I calculate 340 miles at 70 mph. But the Model 3 suspension is bumpy compared to the S. I would be exhausted to do several hundred mile days in a Model 3. The silence and the smoothness of my coil sprung Model S ride is just fabulous.

Yes, the Leaf will be sold very soon. We also sell back a VW TDI this Friday to VW.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Whew!! Too many choices.

I really have to say that the Model 3 handling in the curves is much better. The fantastic range is amazing, I calculate 340 miles at 70 mph. But the Model 3 suspension is bumpy compared to the S. I would be exhausted to do several hundred mile days in a Model 3. The silence and the smoothness of my coil sprung Model S ride is just fabulous.
I think that you should wait to make a final decision until you can test drive an M3 with air suspension.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
It’s tough to say since I only drove Fred’s Model 3 for 30 minutes. Would need to do some back-to-back testing.

I’ll schedule with Dave to do a side by side drive comparison between our two Model 3s. Only spec difference is I have sport wheels.

I disappointed to hear that Dave says his cabin is louder than mine

Mine is pretty darn quiet at freeway speeds

My Model S has coils now. I would expect the Model 3 with air suspension will be an improvement over its current coils but nothing beats size and especially wheelbase for a smooth ride.
I thank you need to do a comparison test to be sure that a M3 with air isn’t equal or better than your MS with coils.

Also there were some post about tires making s substantial difference.

You can do whatever you want but before I spent an additional ~60k on a car I want to be absolutely sure that the expenditure was necessary.

Dave, I have had my Model 3 since 12/29/17. I just read your Tesla Weekly and I concur with you on every single point you made about the car. I also sold my 2013 S a few days ago. Overall, if I could have only one car, it would be the S. The silence and smooth ride mean a lot to me. My plan is that if a refresh S comes out, and I like it (I will), then I will buy one right away, incentives or not. If a refresh never comes out, oh hell, I'll buy another S anyways. I'll keep my Model 3 at least 6 months while I watch things unfold.

I especially liked your words that driving a Model 3 is a real Tesla--yes it is! No mistaking a Tesla over any other car.

Tesla Model 3 Test Drive, Review - First Drive With the New Tesla Model 3

In addition to the Model 3, Tesla gave us a Model S P100D to drive around for comparison. Ever since its introduction, the Model S has felt one step removed from “normal” cars, with its rocket acceleration and tablet dashboard. The Model 3 feels like it hails from a decade in the future. It redefines the scope, painting the Model S as the halfway point between conventional cars and the capital-F Future.

Road and tire noise seeped into our Model S, while the Model 3 whooshed along in dampened silence;
the studious minimalism of the 3’s interior made the S’s dash and door panels seem overadorned. Outward vision from the S’s driver’s seat feels needlessly clipped. The esophagus-squeezing rush of Ludicrous Mode is still as exhilarating as ever, but it makes the hefty, uneager-to-turn Model S feel like a one-trick ZEV. If the S was an ambitious and successful first experiment, the 3 benefits from everything Tesla has learned since.

Comments about the door closing, ride and noise:
1. If you believe that heavier doors would improve the door closing I’d test that theory by adding some temporary weights in the door pockets.
2. I’m sure that you could improve the ride with different tires.
3. A long time ago I reduced the noise of several Mac’s by putting a carpet on the floor under the computers. I bet that you can reduce the noise substantially by adding some sound dampening material.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
Status
Not open for further replies.