Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waymo running driverless in TheVerge Waymo on Twitter

Interesting comment from Waymo on Oct 9th 2019:

"Each of our fully driverless vehicles drives on its own and without the aid of our team via remote control support."
Realizing that eventually a Waymo will get stuck (new scenario, rain, construction...) and needs assistance (at least at first), how are they rescued while passengers are riding? The only logical way I can think of is Remote Control, especially since that tech exists and was used in March '19, in Chandler. So the qualifier that's missing is "Only when the car is operational...". When it gets stuck, it calls for help as needed, but that doesn't count.

I give this an A+ for misleading, but a D in fact if you include all time the vehicle is in service. I was going to share the tweet here from $TSLAQ that was complete nonsense, but it was deleted just now, lol. Something about Waymo working on this for 10 years but Musk learned from Waymo 3 years ago and is DOA, blah blah blah...

Hey, if Waymo can go driverless in Chandler, then can't Tesla as well? Maybe this is a good thing as long as the city isn't separating the technology to exclude non-backed up driverless cars.

And then I thought, so how is Tesla going to get their cars out of a jam (at first)? My brother just mentioned why can't Tesla have their own backup drivers as well (initially)? Maybe...

Here's another one from Yahoo Finance. "Panasonic lost money. Oops, forgot to blame Tesla!"
Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 06.23.56 .png

Reactions: EVMeister
A fairly biased article about electric pickups:
Tesla’s Cybertruck Has a Huge Cowboy Problem

For me the FUD made me stop reading.
"But the Cybertruck already has a fleet of competition."
"Tesla won't deliver the Cybertruck until 2021" but "Ford's electric F150 will be delivered next year"! Ummm.
"Model X is just an overgrown Model S".

Sandy Munro, who became famous for his Model 3 teardown, analyzed the launch videos of the Cybertruck and came to the conclusion Tesla can make them very cheaply and it isn't aimed at the core of the truck market, it's aimed at the Jeep market. He said he plans to buy one to replace his Jeep.

• Informative
Reactions: brucet999
Sandy Munro, who became famous for his Model 3 teardown, analyzed the launch videos of the Cybertruck and came to the conclusion Tesla can make them very cheaply and it isn't aimed at the core of the truck market, it's aimed at the Jeep market. He said he plans to buy one to replace his Jeep.
after his Model 3 teardown didn't he say that Tesla would make >30% margin?

after his Model 3 teardown didn't he say that Tesla would make >30% margin?

It was somewhere in that ballpark. He did a teardown of a second Model 3 built about a year later and he said it was much improved over the initial production car he tore down first.

His criticisms of Tesla when he started the teardown of the first car got all the headlines, but people now ignore his praises of Tesla. He's still critical of some things, but he's also impressed by many things Tesla has done.

Actual headline:
Hackers stuck a 2-inch strip of tape on a 35-mph speed sign and successfully tricked 2 Teslas into accelerating to 85 mph

What they want you to see: AutoPilot is plotting to kill you

The catch: This is AP version version 1, the Mobileye implementation. Thus, it only happens with AP 1 hardware. To suggest that this is the first time anyone came up with the idea of defacing a speed limit sign is pure folly. I don't recall hearing about any incidents during those years. While I suspect there could have been some, there can't be very many. The flow of events is: Two McAfee researchers did this experiment, this was in turn picked up by the MIT Technology Review, and now Business Insider has written the article.

In order to spread the fear, we must link this to the present-day AutoPilot. That's easy: just keep talking and no one will notice. AP "...is supposed to control the car's speed and keep it a safe distance behind the car in front of it." Yes, and what does it actually do? Owners know that it keeps a safe distance behind the car in front, no matter how high you set the limit. But they don't mention that.

"The safety of Tesla's autopilot systems is under close scrutiny"

If you are going for sensational, the proper shark-jumping would be to bring in poor Walter Huang, the victim of the Model X accident in Mountainview. And they do just that, complete with the picture.

No need to read it, but here it is for reference.

Today, Wired has echoed the story, so brace yourselves for another flurry of "news".

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Actual headline:
Hackers stuck a 2-inch strip of tape on a 35-mph speed sign and successfully tricked 2 Teslas into accelerating to 85 mph

What they want you to see: AutoPilot is plotting to kill you

The catch: This is AP version version 1, the Mobileye implementation. Thus, it only happens with AP 1 hardware. To suggest that this is the first time anyone came up with the idea of defacing a speed limit sign is pure folly. I don't recall hearing about any incidents during those years. While I suspect there could have been some, there can't be very many. The flow of events is: Two McAfee researchers did this experiment, this was in turn picked up by the MIT Technology Review, and now Business Insider has written the article.

In order to spread the fear, we must link this to the present-day AutoPilot. That's easy: just keep talking and no one will notice. AP "...is supposed to control the car's speed and keep it a safe distance behind the car in front of it." Yes, and what does it actually do? Owners know that it keeps a safe distance behind the car in front, no matter how high you set the limit. But they don't mention that.

"The safety of Tesla's autopilot systems is under close scrutiny"

If you are going for sensational, the proper shark-jumping would be to bring in poor Walter Huang, the victim of the Model X accident in Mountainview. And they do just that, complete with the picture.

No need to read it, but here it is for reference.

Today, Wired has echoed the story, so brace yourselves for another flurry of "news".
Barely noticed is the mention that the Mobileye software is still used by several other car makers.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61