Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forbes has run another of their "contributor" (blogger) trash pieces, by a guy named Christopher Versace. lots of claims about billions in loans from taxpayers, obligatory citing of discredited LA Times $4.9B figure, and a Solyndra reference to wrap up. Such drivel. I started to write a comment on my iPhone but lost the text when the page refreshed so gave up.

Don't Fall for Musk's Merger Smoke And Mirrors

Forbes has run another of their "contributor" (blogger) trash pieces, by a guy named Christopher Versace. lots of claims about billions in loans from taxpayers, obligatory citing of discredited LA Times $4.9B figure, and a Solyndra reference to wrap up. Such drivel. I started to write a comment on my iPhone but lost the text when the page refreshed so gave up.

Don't Fall for Musk's Merger Smoke And Mirrors

Very interesting - the link no longer works, and it doesn't come up in a search of the Forbes site. I guess it was getting panned in the comments so much they took it down. A small victory.

An article on SeekingAlpha today, 9/26/2016
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4008237-tesla-performs-like-paper-tiger-falcon-wing-door-lawsuit

is using a thread from TMC
Case of bait and switch?

as part of its thesis, for support, and thanking (?lurkers?) whose names seem vaguely familiar at times

"A Note About My Contributors
Thanks this time to k1angky, Temagami, and Bonaire.
None of them necessarily subscribes to all my points of analysis."

So, basically, things you post here may be used for commercial purposes (paid article), even if just a link and a note, in this case to bolster "short TSLA VIA OPTIONS"

sigh. just an FYI

• Informative
Reactions: gene
An article on SeekingAlpha today, 9/26/2016
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4008237-tesla-performs-like-paper-tiger-falcon-wing-door-lawsuit

is using a thread from TMC
Case of bait and switch?

as part of its thesis, for support, and thanking (?lurkers?) whose names seem vaguely familiar at times

"A Note About My Contributors
Thanks this time to k1angky, Temagami, and Bonaire.
None of them necessarily subscribes to all my points of analysis."

So, basically, things you post here may be used for commercial purposes (paid article), even if just a link and a note, in this case to bolster "short TSLA VIA OPTIONS"

sigh. just an FYI
That's why some of us have disclaimers in our signatures... this is not the first time.

I don't think the disclaimers in signatures have any power. When you post something on a public forum is there any expectation of exclusivity? Doesn't "fair use" allow quoting and commenting on it?

i suspect you are correct, but it should give you at least a basis of complaining, to get a reply of "fair use" but you have a legit beef and a small kerfluffle

Reactions: Pdub2015
I don't think the disclaimers in signatures have any power. When you post something on a public forum is there any expectation of exclusivity? Doesn't "fair use" allow quoting and commenting on it?

I think TMC may have cause of action. The user terms say that TMC has ownership of anything posted here and nothing can be reposted without their permission with the exception that you can repost anything you wrote here without asking permission.

Reactions: Gerardf
I would like to know who is behind Montana Skeptic, and expose his motivation for spreading so much misinformation and FUD about Tesla. I challenged his anonymity a few times, but he gets irritated quickly when you do (resulting in deleted comments). SA is fine with him posting all his articles anonymous, based on information sources that are also all hiding behind anonymous ID's.

IMHO he either has some personal 'issue' against Elon or he is paid by some lobby group or hedge fund to hurt Tesla.

I am of the opinion it would be only fair to know who is behind all these articles and misinformation, so he can not intentionally spread it without risking being held responsible for that.

He has also used his anonymity to use (read steal) photo's owned by Electrek without permission, and kept using them to intentionally spread misinformation about the Model-3 and the GF even after he was very clearly told that he had no permission to do so and should remove them. SA also refused to take action, even tough both MS and SA were informed the pictures are owned by Electrek and that the information in the article was in fact misinformation.

I have even heard some people received quite nasty 'warnings' after posting negatively about Montana Skeptic.

All just more reasons I feel it would be interesting to know who is behind Montana Skeptic.

This is his official bio :

I manage a $1B+ portfolio for a family office. Our investments include bonds, equities, hedge funds, and private investments with a wide geographical and asset class dispersion. I have a J.D. degree from Yale Law School and practiced for 30 years as a trial lawyer in commercial cases.T
hat fellow in my icon is, of course, Galileo Galilei. Eppur si muove.You can email me at [email protected] & follow me on Twitter where I am @MontanaSkeptic1
Disclosure: I am/we are short TSLA VIA OPTIONS.

I feel it is a bit strange that someone with such a background and job has both the interest and the bandwidth to be 24/7/365 involved with writing articles (exclusively) about Tesla (currently 44 on SA) and commenting (4332 comments on SA). He must have other motivations than just his options.

He has a professional writing style, and is a master in very consistently and repeatedly presenting his assumptions and insinuations as facts. After he has done that, he simply states them as facts, even after he has been informed that he is spreading misinformation. As I see it, he simply keeps repeating a lie until people start to assume it is indeed a fact.

He must be spending very many hours on his articles that are very long. Simply to long to give a complete rebuttal in the comment to correct all misinformation and lies. Next to that, most people have other jobs and better things to do than correcting some anonymous guy on the internet. On the other hand Montana seem to be able to spend unlimited time on bashing Tesla and Elon Musk.

In some comments he makes remarks that seem to point that he lives in Bozeman (MT). He also referred to Manhattan (MT) and Missoula in some comments.

He posted a picture (he made) in an article on SA, that seems to show him in the window. I am sure he would not mind me posting it here. (As he uses TMC info for his articles without even asking permission as well).

MS-pic.png

Source: http://seekingalpha.com/article/3965533-tesla-revealed-model-3-early

Should you have some more clues, or even know who he is, feel free to post them here or PM me.

Last edited:
I took Montana Skeptic up on his invitation to contact him by email. He said that factual accuracy is important and he often makes corrections to his articles based on commenters' feedback. If you see misinformation in his articles, be sure to point it out and submit the correction. Regarding the conclusions he draws, that's always up for debate. And you have to admit, his articles foster good debate.

Reactions: Fiddler and bonaire
The best challenge is one that is "won" through fair practices. See Lance Armstrong for more details on "working the system".

In the world of finance, I'm sure nobody wants to see either a run-away diesel (a cloudy, noisy, polluting mess) or a run-away solar storm (too much energy, wrecks the grid, causes strife). I think MS tries to paint a clearer picture of things brought forth as hype that really does appear to produce a non-fiduciary support level for companies like Tesla or Solar City. Some believe stock price is important to maintain "high" despite the financial viability underneath. That it is better to talk about the future rather than create a stable footing today and by talking about a future that has never been done, extra special value is given to such beliefs.

In other words - I think MS tries to be the parent trying to steer a first year MBA student child from partying too much while in college so they actually do have a future after. Thing is - those parties (ie. we all know Musk threw a lot of parties at Penn) are meant to create community and connections so that favors may be later called-in. Many of our kids in college who get good C+ and B grades who do not party and make connections will have a very hard time finding success in business later on.

So, is it "party on, Garth?" Or is it a more steady-as-she-goes style that works best? I guess we wait and see. However, other than Trip Chowdhry, how many wall street analysts believe what they say on the sell-side of their analysis of Tesla and soon TeslaCity?

Thing is - currently in our world, facts aren't fun. So, do we listen to "angels" who try to steer us true? Or do we listen to the little devil who says "come on, just one more party"... In Wall Street or Las Vegas, both are called gambling with risk.

Reactions: Fiddler
Unfortunately for the purpose of the hunt, Chase Private Banking appears not to have any brick-and-mortar presence in Montana. Still, someone who might live in or near Bozeman with a j.d. from Yale some time between 32 and, I would figure, 38 years ago, and with 30 years' experience in commercial trial practice, who now appears to practice investment management, is a lot of material from which to start. Any of this forum's many attorney members could use these nuggets to drill down their access to ABA members' profiles with fair ease.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The best challenge is one that is "won" through fair practices. See Lance Armstrong for more details on "working the system".

Thing is - currently in our world, facts aren't fun. So, do we listen to "angels" who try to steer us true? Or do we listen to the little devil who says "come on, just one more party"... In Wall Street or Las Vegas, both are called gambling with risk.

well Montana Skeptic certainly has a youthful look for someone whom has practiced law for 30 years and has a law degree.
certainly wish i looked as healthy in my late 50's early 60's so long ago.
I try to glean information from as many places as possible for my investing purposes.