Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I used his cobalt numbers as a high estimate (we know that there's less cobalt in the battery than he thinks) and concluded that even if Tesla hasn't hedged (I'm dead sure they have) and cobalt prices quadruple, it isn't going to make much of a difference to the Model 3 profit stream.

He can't do arithmetic.

The fact is that electric car batteries need a lot of nickel too. The nickel mine expansions will produce more cobalt.

seeking Alpha article with what !!!John Peterson!!!! says ->may be a model 3 beta from late Feb in Texas
Cobalt: The Weak Link In Tesla's Supply Chain - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha
227454_14915291976988_rId11.jpg

Looks like my refresh Model S (though mine is white). If the US doesn't screw up relations with Cuba (which is possible), Cuba has a fairly large reserve of cobalt that is sitting in mines that have been mostly idle for the last 60 years.

Short term there may be a bit of a cobalt shortage, but there is plenty in the ground in known reserves.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Looks like my refresh Model S (though mine is white). If the US doesn't screw up relations with Cuba (which is possible), Cuba has a fairly large reserve of cobalt that is sitting in mines that have been mostly idle for the last 60 years.

Short term there may be a bit of a cobalt shortage, but there is plenty in the ground in known reserves.
I am not going to dig it up, but there were articles when the GF was starting up about TSLA signing directly with mining companies and many small producers. I think they have locked in long term pricing and did a lot of detail work that most first movers fail to consider.
I think supply chain is a competitive advantage, but I'm always happy to see this author writing. The Peterson principle is perhaps the most bullish signal out there.

Lutz is old school, and so he values quarterly performance above all else. Which is why GM sucks at strategy, and pretty much always has. Other than this one: " Give 'em what they want as cheap as we can and always, always show a profit."
He's not dumb, though. Back in early days of Tesla, he wrote, "How come this little company that knows nothing about cars can do this and we can't?" Meaning the Roadster.
The answer, of course, was looking back at him in the mirror.
Which is why, despite the fact that he knows Tesla earns strong margins on each and every Model S and X sale, he can't stop himself from throwing attention-gaining spitballs, most especially after Tesla valuation topped GM's.
It's the reversal of everything he knows and wants to know. So he pretends he doesn't, and gains headlines.
Robin

Last edited:
how much "fact or fiction" is there to "Montana Skeptic's" "SWAG" on seekin alfa

""6. Many Model 3 deposit makers have acknowledged they are, in effect, buying an option on the $7,500 FIT credit.
Once that credit begins to phase-down, the option's value decreases markedly.""

obviously no one but Americans but when that "distinguished" commenter comments, shiv's to the kidneys must be avoided
anyone have actual numbers {and a cheery shoutout hello to the sleezeking minion snitches}

a positive article filled with negative comments
Tesla Set To Become Second Biggest Global Carmaker By Market Cap Next Year - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

an intriguing article on, Seeking Alpha, which I appreciated due to the references with reprise to 2001:Space Odyssey, "China Oddity", HAL 9000, Homer's "The Odyssey", David Bowie's "Space Oddity", Annie Lennox and Eurythmics (written by a european).and an allusion to the company Carter Wallace, who make trojans and the Illiad and the Odyssey's "Trojans"

Its a kitchen sink of everything wrong, dozens of reasons, minutely detailed and why Tesla should be failing, a coherent, incoherent scream of why!! ended with "author has no positions"
It's a hoot, but a refernce that can be used to infuriate them and cause apoplexy and mini-strokes/TIA's (trans ischemic attacks), going in thru the maze of their emotions and hitting the "agony" button of "piling losses upon losses"
The Big Tesla Swindle - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

the pebble voted again
Bought 1 @ $299.3906 @ 9:31 AM 04/18/2017

Last edited:
Yeah, paying <$100 (TMV of $1000 for ~18-24 mos) just to save $7500 in the future sure is stupid

It was a *gamble*, though -- everyone who reserved knew the tax credits might start to phase out before they got their car (seriously, there were lots of discussion of this on all the car websites).

The only people who would do this are people who would buy the car *regardless* of whether they got the tax credit. I mean, the only way you can get the credit is if you accept and drive the car! And you have a chance of handing Tesla $1000 for two years just to get NOTHING. Very few would do that.

The idiot who shall not be named described it as an "option" on the $7500 tax credit. I do some options trading -- that's an expensive option.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bhzmark