Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MarketWatch editor Ciara Linnane has mixed up Tesla first half guidance with actual second quarter deliveries. Her headline is especially shameful. We were far more careful before I retired as a financial journalist.

Tesla says Q2 deliveries fall short due to 'severe' battery production shortfall

Pretty bad:

"Tesla Inc. TSLA, -2.49% said Monday second-quarter deliveries came to 22,000 vehicles, up 53% from the year-earlier period but well below the company's guidance of 47,000 to 50,000 vehicles provided with its first-quarter earnings in May."

Guidance was 50k for the first half of the year, not the quarter...( as we all know )

MarketWatch editor Ciara Linnane has mixed up Tesla first half guidance with actual second quarter deliveries. Her headline is especially shameful. We were far more careful before I retired as a financial journalist.

Tesla says Q2 deliveries fall short due to 'severe' battery production shortfall

Pretty bad:

"Tesla Inc. TSLA, -2.49% said Monday second-quarter deliveries came to 22,000 vehicles, up 53% from the year-earlier period but well below the company's guidance of 47,000 to 50,000 vehicles provided with its first-quarter earnings in May."

Guidance was 50k for the first half of the year, not the quarter...( as we all know )

I emailed the author and she responded,

"ugh, thanks Curt. We are correcting now."

Forbes. Is it me or does it seem as though Forbes is a mouthpiece for certain groups? I only see headlines, but there is a clear (IMO) bias against Tesla. I am not going to link to the current front page articles to which the first two promoted articles are anti-Tesla.

Me thinks that as print dollars have evaporated and ad blockers become more prevalent these once reputable (that is even arguable) news organizations have lost all integrity and are nothing but thinly veiled propaganda machines.

In the era of "fake news" this unfortunately has come to become accepted.

Forbes. Is it me or does it seem as though Forbes is a mouthpiece for certain groups? I only see headlines, but there is a clear (IMO) bias against Tesla. I am not going to link to the current front page articles to which the first two promoted articles are anti-Tesla.

Me thinks that as print dollars have evaporated and ad blockers become more prevalent these once reputable (that is even arguable) news organizations have lost all integrity and are nothing but thinly veiled propaganda machines.

It's not just you. Pretty heavy pattern from Forbes for at least a year. Quite occasionally they do print something objective and/or positive.

Reactions: neroden
Geez, how is it Elon's fault Volvo announced their entire fleet will be pure EV or hybrid by 2019? (I suspect they will be moving more hybrids than EVs at first.) And by 2019 Tesla will likely be selling more pure EVs a year than Volvo sells cars total.

The article conveniently omits that Elon also announced that the Model 3 is entering production months before Elon originally thought. At the reveal he said they were telling suppliers July 1, 2017, but they were realistically expecting more like October because at least one supplier always messes up. It turns out production is starting only a little over a week past his earliest possible date. That's an achievement for a car company that was 2 years late on their last car.

Forbes was pretty biased to start with (Steve Forbes has a very definite and obvious agenda and pushes it with every chance he gets; it's a stupid and dishonest agenda, too). I'm OK with spin, I think it's unavoidable.

Some are much worse, however -- for example, anything owned by Murdoch will just lie outright.

The British newspaper idea is that every newspaper reports the same facts but gives its own spin. Steve Forbes usually walks just this side of that line (though he crosses it sometimes when he's pushing nonsensical and disproven economic doctrines).

Murdoch, however, does not feel the need to accurately report facts. Murdoch papers will just lie.

Over and over again, for the past decade, Silicon Valley has had to be reminded that cars aren't computers or iPhones. And over and over again, Silicon Valley makes another run at the argument.

It will simply never make sense.

Had to check the date on that article. Seems people still haven't learned from the past 15+ years of mistakenly saying Silicon Valley or tech companies can't do something, or that if they can't, they'll just redefine the societal definition of the thing until they can...

(granted, occam's razor says paychecks trump learning something new)

Ahhh makes way more sense if you look at it that way. 10,000 semis makes more sense and is still pretty amazing. Seems a decent solution, can't wait to see how Tesla's semi compares.

Can't wait to hear from the old school Semi drivers (me, for one) on how I just LO-O-O-VED to shift through all ten gears just to get up to 55. And the noise! My ears still ring after 50 years. And the smoke! No need to look in the rearview while accelerating. Jerk, jerk, jump, twitch. Nope, don't want to give that up. Let's get the states to ban electrics in any form!

Can't wait to hear from the old school Semi drivers (me, for one) on how I just LO-O-O-VED to shift through all ten gears just to get up to 55. And the noise! My ears still ring after 50 years. And the smoke! No need to look in the rearview while accelerating. Jerk, jerk, jump, twitch. Nope, don't want to give that up. Let's get the states to ban electrics in any form!
Or 18 speeds... If they can get this down to a single-speed it'll be quite revolutionary, made possible by the electric motor of course.

inline-2-photo-455479-s-original.jpg

Came across this. Someone actually predicts Tesla will end up with a near monopoly in the EV market:
Charged EVs | Analyst predicts Tesla will have a near-monopoly in EVs
Odd that there is no mention of Volvo, whose Chinese ownership gives it an advantage in a huge market.

Comparison of investment commitments ignores the fact that Tesla must invest heavily because it lacks factory infrastructure while MB, VW, et al can simply convert existing factories to electric vehicles.

Odd that there is no mention of Volvo, whose Chinese ownership gives it an advantage in a huge market.

Comparison of investment commitments ignores the fact that Tesla must invest heavily because it lacks factory infrastructure while MB, VW, et al can simply convert existing factories to electric vehicles.

Having renovated houses, it's often cheaper to build from scratch than try to rebuild (gotta pay to demo/remove and then reinstall in existing, suboptimal configurations versus just starting with the right configuration and going ahead).