Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the lead of a Times story today by Sorkin et al. (Tesla Directors Do Damage Control After Elon Musk Tweets):

"In recent days, according to people familiar with the matter, some of his fellow board members delivered a stern message: Stop tweeting.

"Mr. Musk hasn’t heeded that advice. He has continued to post messages on Twitter, publicly plotting the company’s strategy and in some cases making assertions of dubious accuracy."

You would think he's "erratically" tweeting away like Donald Trump (the subtext, if not the actual text, of so much Musk coverage is that he's as contemptibly unhinged as the toxic oaf in the White House). Am I missing something, because when I scroll through his tweets and replies, the only one "strategic" or remotely substantive about the go-private venture since last Tuesday was yesterday's "I'm excited to work with Silver Lake..." Frivolously, there were the "short shorts" quips on Aug 10. I see nothing else from him, on any subject, that isn't wholesome or innocuous.

This is the freaking New York Times. In the very same breath that they disparage him for continuing to fire off multiple tweets "of dubious accuracy," the only certainty is how false their assertion is. But then it's all about "narrative gravity" (must-read essay on the subject here: The Invisible Force That Warps What You Read in the News | Backchannel). The shadow persona of Musk as a Trumpian enfant terrible has so deeply taken hold in the media that any story that conforms to that narrative gets a free pass from editors, fact-checkers and the facile pundits who rehash the narrative on TV.

I've followed up with a "corrections" (Corrections) email to The Times:

SUBJECT: Poor reporting: "Tesla Directors Do Damage Control After Elon Musk Tweets"

I believe there's a false assertion near the top of yesterday's story by Sorkin et al. about Tesla (Tesla Directors Do Damage Control After Elon Musk Tweets). This part:

"In recent days, according to people familiar with the matter, some of his fellow board members delivered a stern message: Stop tweeting.

"Mr. Musk hasn’t heeded that advice. He has continued to post messages on Twitter, publicly plotting the company’s strategy and in some cases making assertions of dubious accuracy."

As an investor who follows the Tesla drama closely, I was astonished by the implication that Musk has been tweeting up a Trumpian grand mal seizure of company business over the past few days. When I scrolled through his tweets and replies since Aug. 7, the day he ignited the firestorm with his "taking Tesla private" tweet and several replies to questions about the subject - all on the same day - the only subsequent tweet by Musk related to "plotting the company’s strategy" or "making assertions of dubious accuracy" was his reply on Aug. 14 in which he wrote: "I’m excited to work with Silver Lake and Goldman Sachs..."

I question the fairness of reporting some possibly inaccurate assertions by Musk (i.e. regarding the precise nature of his relationship with Silver Hills and Goldman) as being "of dubious accuracy." But more concretely, where are the relevant "tweets," plural, as reported in the Times story? Based on my review of Musk's tweet record, the sentence should read:

"Mr. Musk hasn’t heeded that advice. He has since posted one comment on Twitter in which he adds new assertions, some of dubious [unconfirmed] accuracy, about his proposal to take Tesla private."

I also take issue with the fact that the entire story is so negatively slanted that it veers into editorial territory instead of fair and accurate reporting. For example:

"Tesla has also been plagued by operational problems and it has struggled to meet Mr. Musk’s production targets for the Model 3 sedan, the company’s first mass-market offering and a vehicle he has said is crucial to company’s ability to become profitable."

This is all, arguably, true, but it disregards the fact that the months of struggling to meet production targets ended on July 1 when Tesla finally met its target of producing 5000 Model 3s in a week by the end of Q2 - a burst rate that has been largely sustained, judging by Musk's updates on Model 3 production (5000 per week has been repeated more than once) during the company's well-received Q2 conference call early this month and Bloomberg's Model 3 production tracker (Terms of Service Violation). The latter suggests Tesla has produced 26,500 Model 3s (as of 11:30 am, Aug 15) so far this quarter, or roughly 4100 per week. For readers of your story, none of this progress ever happened - Tesla is still stuck in "production hell."

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Believe me, we all know to use Google search.
Proper post should has the source ( I don`t want to donate free clicks), title of article and most important

YOUR COMMENT.

On base of quality of you comment , I can decide to read it or not.
So please, edit your post and correct it .

The article is published in a well known U.S. newspaper and it concerns the company which is discussed in this thread. So it is good to read it whether i agree with it or not.

Pro tip: you can see the source by placing cursor over the link.

Mod comment: I moved these posts out of the main discussion because I do consider this a hit piece. Note: it is not censorship, because they are still here, and people can still read and comment, but they interfere with the flow of the Market Action thread. The New York Post is another Murdoch publication, and has shown extreme anti- bias before.

Oh, and thanks @loky , that is usually the rule. Please give at least a one-line summary to go with the link.

--ggr.

Complete bullshit from the NYT. I'm not entirely surprised, considering Judith Miller and the Iraq War lies.

Well, this is confirming that Musk is right to go private. I'm disappointed, but the scammer media is making it clear why it's the right thing to do.

So few people remember or talk about that rag banging the drum all the way to war, total mouthpiece for warmongers. After it set the table by lieing to the American people the piece of trash began publishing daily updates of the murdered US soldiers as some form of protest, completely ignoring the copious blood on its treasonous hands.

Thank you for bringing it up.

Elon on Twitter lately is not good optics for the company. A much better response would be something like, "we looked at that idea and it won't work for us." Or something along those lines.

The video plays for me but only on Chrome. It won't load with Firefox (my normal browser).

• Disagree
Reactions: traxila
Elon on Twitter lately is not good optics for the company. A much better response would be something like, "we looked at that idea and it won't work for us." Or something along those lines.

The video plays for me but only on Chrome. It won't load with Firefox (my normal browser).
It was an ungraciously terse reply to a fawning, well-meaning open letter. But I expect better from Bloomberg than to headline it as some sort of Twitter fight.

Reactions: Electroman
This week’s Economist has one article peripherally, and one directly, concerning Tesla.

The first - which in fact derives from the second and is one of their Summary/Editorial (I don’t know what the Economist calls these, or if there is a more apposite term) - is entitled The Prickly Prince, and is a cautionary tale for Mr Musk and Tesla were they to cozy up to Muhammad bin Salman, and gives a number of examples of the perils of running afoul of a supremely wealthy supreme despot. Not much showing in the way of FUD - although the Fear factor is displayed; also, the article curiously calls Mr Musk half-Canadian, which is stretching a point.

The second is the Schumpeter column - their weekly on the USA, and primarily its business milieu. Life on Mars is the headline; the subhead is “Elon Musk has pushed his firm to breaking point — and reinvigorated the public company” . The article’s meat lays out the reason its keystone paragraph claims “...somewhere along the line this liberated spirit has morphed into a crusade or a tragedy or a farce, depending on your view”. And it provides evidence for these three tacks, most of which are very familiar to this forum’s readers.

A query of my own: some of the “nutty conduct” regards, naturally, that ___guy from Thailand. For once, would someone please clear up for me: is/was he a “diver”, as so frequently has been written, or was he ‘only’ a cave aficionado who helped organize the rescue? Although I’m prettty sure I know the answer, perhaps someone can put this matter to rest.

The essay claims going private “sounds like a sabbatical from reality. It is far from clear what it would solve.” I’ll posit this is less than fair, most especially because the editorial then balks from probing what would occur if TESLAP becomes a reality.

Overall, a nice précis of the state of American industry from 2003 to...2018? 2025? But not so balanced as I think it should be.

This week’s Economist has one article peripherally, and one directly, concerning Tesla.

The first - which in fact derives from the second and is one of their Summary/Editorial (I don’t know what the Economist calls these, or if there is a more apposite term) - is entitled The Prickly Prince, and is a cautionary tale for Mr Musk and Tesla were they to cozy up to Muhammad bin Salman, and gives a number of examples of the perils of running afoul of a supremely wealthy supreme despot. Not much showing in the way of FUD - although the Fear factor is displayed; also, the article curiously calls Mr Musk half-Canadian, which is stretching a point.

The second is the Schumpeter column - their weekly on the USA, and primarily its business milieu. Life on Mars is the headline; the subhead is “Elon Musk has pushed his firm to breaking point — and reinvigorated the public company” . The article’s meat lays out the reason its keystone paragraph claims “...somewhere along the line this liberated spirit has morphed into a crusade or a tragedy or a farce, depending on your view”. And it provides evidence for these three tacks, most of which are very familiar to this forum’s readers.

A query of my own: some of the “nutty conduct” regards, naturally, that ___guy from Thailand. For once, would someone please clear up for me: is/was he a “diver”, as so frequently has been written, or was he ‘only’ a cave aficionado who helped organize the rescue? Although I’m prettty sure I know the answer, perhaps someone can put this matter to rest.

The essay claims going private “sounds like a sabbatical from reality. It is far from clear what it would solve.” I’ll posit this is less than fair, most especially because the editorial then balks from probing what would occur if TESLAP becomes a reality.

Overall, a nice précis of the state of American industry from 2003 to...2018? 2025? But not so balanced as I think it should be.

The Economist calls those editorial pieces at the front of every issue "leaders".

As a long-time reader I would say that The Economist doesn't even pretend to be balanced. Generally the bias is very clear: what they call "a product of the Caledonian liberalism of Adam Smith and David Hume". And mostly that works for me, especially when they back it up with numbers.

Not infrequently an article seems to show its reporter's personal bias, usually something to do with local politics. But that's tricky to follow because most articles are anonymous. Sometimes — and I fear coverage of Tesla is an example — a bias seems to come from outside. The Economist's parent company has board members connected to Fiat-Chrysler. To their credit they disclose this when covering FCA... but not when covering its competitors, such as Tesla.