Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2018-10-26_13-9-10.png

upload_2018-10-26_13-9-57.png

upload_2018-10-26_13-10-45.png

Tesla is in test production on a solid state cell? If that's true, not only is the no cobalt thing newsworthy, it also means they cracked the holy grail of battery design. The potential energy density of solid state cells is considerably higher than any li-ion chemistry mix.
No No No, its an illustration about costs and future costs of tesla batteries vs competition

note NCM 811 and MNO --->> _future_ <-----

and relative costs of Al, Ni, Mn vs Co
apologies for being imprecise/vague

Last edited:
Cobalt free MNO chemistry is not new, the problem has always been energy density/specific energy and life span. Improvements to both would be needed.

I've been familiar with a manganese oxide chemistry, but always understood it was a liquid electrolyte like every other li-ion chemistry. What all the battery researchers are trying to do is come up with a solid state, rechargeable, lithium or li-ion battery. That would be significantly safer than liquid electrolytes and there is promise of much higher energy densities. Manufacturing a solid state electrolyte would probably also be much easier and thus cheaper.

I just found this Slate article from 4:15pm Friday 26th:

View attachment 347960

It's an encapsulation of Friday's WSJ hit piece; nothing new is presented. Comments as of right now are about 2/3-3/4 condemnatory of Tesla.

Link here: Tesla Has A Serious Legal Problem That Isn’t Its Very Online CEO
I don't wish to encourage these click bait headlines, so I for one will not bother. IF it has any truth, I'm sure other articles will appear soon enough. Sadly, the "media", "oil companies", "legacy auto" would all like to shut down Tesla. Most of you readers know why.

Corporations worked together before and destroyed a fine electric trolly system in the US.
Of course, trolls work to keep these corporation in the best light possible. Truth often not easy to find/learn.
General Motors streetcar conspiracy - Wikipedia

My parents remembered Los Angeles' street car system. They thought it was quite good.

As far as the criminal probe into whether Tesla lied about production numbers should be fairly easy to figure out. Of all the Model 3s built so far, a handful are still in Tesla's hands (either in transit or are being used as demos) and a handful went to Canada. The rest were all sold and registered in the United States.

Tesla has internal records on weekly production that almost certainly square with where the cars ended up. They could even be tracked by VIN if investigators wanted to get down to that level of scrutiny. Compare those records to the public statements by Tesla. There may be some minor discrepancies, but I would expect the two most significant figures (two leftmost digits) of production number announcements are pretty accurate.

For those who believe Elon is a huckster with no substance (hard to believe for anyone actually paying attention), then it's easy to believe the FBI is going to find something. For the rest of us who believe he's generally honest (though sometimes prone to exaggeration, or time blindness in his predictions), at worst the numbers in public announcements are only off by rounding errors.

I believe the level of proof the FBI would need to actually file charges would include intent to deceive rather than just a minor, unintentional error. That's a fairly high bar and I strongly doubt this is going to go anywhere.

FBI calls your employer. Wants to schedule an interview. Two or more agents show up at your workplace for the interview.
OR
FBI shows up at your house or apartment to do an interview.
OR
FBI tells you to come into their office for an interview - what do you tell your boss?

Will this do your career any good? Would you possibly lose your job? Do you care to find out?

From 1951 to 1955, the FBI operated a secret "Responsibilities Program" that distributed anonymous documents with evidence from FBI files of Communist affiliations on the part of teachers, lawyers, and others. Many people accused in these "blind memoranda" were fired without any further process.[22]

read that again - secret - teachers lost their jobs (no due process - many don't even know what this means, look it up)
Sadly, the FBI isn't your friend. With our surveillance state how do international drug cartels still operate? you get the idea.

a white washed intro
McCarthyism - Wikipedia

Thankfully Tesla is verging on undamageable by this sort of harassment. Finally.

In the 1950s, remember, the Communist Party was totally legal (protected by the 1st Amendment), so *as long as you were independently wealthy*, there wasn't a hell of a lot they could do to you. Not many communists were independently wealthy, of course. So people were harassed using financial power.

Tesla's Ride Gets Bumpier

Cheddar video interview of Dana Cimilluca, one of the authors of last Friday’s WSJ hit piece, talking about the article, why he published it, and saying that the DoJ has increased their investigation since the SEC case.

There isn’t really anything new, but it is a decent interview and they have really great Tesla videos running in the background. I’d say it’s worth a watch, especially because of the nice Tesla factory footage they were playing in the background.

FBI calls your employer. Wants to schedule an interview. Two or more agents show up at your workplace for the interview.
OR
FBI shows up at your house or apartment to do an interview.
OR
FBI tells you to come into their office for an interview - what do you tell your boss?

Will this do your career any good? Would you possibly lose your job? Do you care to find out?

From 1951 to 1955, the FBI operated a secret "Responsibilities Program" that distributed anonymous documents with evidence from FBI files of Communist affiliations on the part of teachers, lawyers, and others. Many people accused in these "blind memoranda" were fired without any further process.[22]

read that again - secret - teachers lost their jobs (no due process - many don't even know what this means, look it up)
Sadly, the FBI isn't your friend. With our surveillance state how do international drug cartels still operate? you get the idea.

a white washed intro
McCarthyism - Wikipedia

I know a lot of defense lawyers. Unfortunately those with the money for a good lawyer get the best representation and those too foolish to lawyer up, or without the resources get screwed just about every time. Tesla is not the richest company in the world, but they have enough money to afford decent lawyers who will make sure the FBI does everything by the book.

The dark days of the McCarthy era is not one of the high points in American history. And McCarthy was chasing a dying movement. Communism in the US had a following in the 1930s, but membership started dropping off a cliff when the horrors of what the Russians did in eastern Europe at the end of the war came out. The FBI had infiltrated the communist movement in the 30s and membership was so low by the mid-50s many chapters were run by FBI agents and when the FBI determined the communist party was no longer any kind of threat, there were more FBI agents undercover than actual communists.

• Informative
Reactions: landis and neroden
... membership was so low by the mid-50s many chapters were run by FBI agents and when the FBI determined the communist party was no longer any kind of threat, there were more FBI agents undercover than actual communists.
Fascinating and starkly amusing but, as per this thread's title, is there any truth therein?

Reactions: neroden
I know a lot of defense lawyers. Unfortunately those with the money for a good lawyer get the best representation and those too foolish to lawyer up, or without the resources get screwed just about every time. Tesla is not the richest company in the world, but they have enough money to afford decent lawyers who will make sure the FBI does everything by the book.

The dark days of the McCarthy era is not one of the high points in American history. And McCarthy was chasing a dying movement. Communism in the US had a following in the 1930s, but membership started dropping off a cliff when the horrors of what the Russians did in eastern Europe at the end of the war came out. The FBI had infiltrated the communist movement in the 30s and membership was so low by the mid-50s many chapters were run by FBI agents and when the FBI determined the communist party was no longer any kind of threat, there were more FBI agents undercover than actual communists.
high school teachers still lost their jobs, Hollywood blacklist also - and if you think FBI is somehow reformed
google search: fbi stings terrorist
Also note: FBI refuses to keep any stats on police killing of anyone. never happens? search that topic.

high school teachers still lost their jobs, Hollywood blacklist also - and if you think FBI is somehow reformed
google search: fbi stings terrorist
Also note: FBI refuses to keep any stats on police killing of anyone. never happens? search that topic.

We're off topic, I think @AudubonB may have been hinting to drop it. I'm not disagreeing with you though. My only point is that individuals and organizations with the funds to employ good lawyers tend to get more by the book investigations because law enforcement knows that anything they bring will be challenged in court if there is any wiggle room. People and organizations with good resources to defend themselves don't get the same type of scrutiny because the investigators know the case will probably not get a robust defense.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
You'll Need 286 Pounds of Coal to Fuel That Electric Road Trip
The article is actually mostly good but the headline writer couldn't pass up the opportunity to bash EVs.
If you take the time to read the article, it turns out that EVs (even when "coal fueled") produce less CO2 than any other fuel source. Of course, only backward areas get 100% of their electricity from coal and that is rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
You'll Need 286 Pounds of Coal to Fuel That Electric Road Trip
The article is actually mostly good but the headline writer couldn't pass up the opportunity to bash EVs.
If you take the time to read the article, it turns out that EVs (even when "coal fueled") produce less CO2 than any other fuel source. Of course, only backward areas get 100% of their electricity from coal and that is rare.

Unfortunately the headline comes off slanted, and many people never read past the headline...