Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

As a Tesla Solar owner, is there any way for me to check my panel status without SolarEdge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had 34 panels installed. I wanted a way to easily check the panel status, something that basically showed 34/34 up and running. They provided me with a Solar Edge login, with the caveat that they don't support he Solar Edge Dashboard. Ok fine.

I log into the Solar Edge dashboard and none of my panels are communicating to Solar Edge. Solar Edge tells this is something on Tesla's side to correct. Tesla again tells me they don't support Solar Edge.

So I am left with no way to actually check my panel status. How do I know if a panel goes down? Tesla says they will monitor and correct it, but they said a lot of things during the order and install process and followed through on maybe 50% of those.

Is there any way for me to actually check the status of my panels or get notified if one goes down?

Not that it will give you more information, but my Tesla Solar system shows up in my Tesla account. I can only guess at the panel production based on the KW generated. But about a year and a half ago Tesla contacted me saying that some of the panels were not producing, which I noticed as a drop in production. They told me that they would replace the entire system since they no longer carry those panels. They have, as yet, not replaced the system. When I call them they say that they prioritize replacement panels based on the current output production and my output production is within their guaranteed output.

Reactions: Akikiki
To clarify, I do have access to Solar Edge. It's just that the panels aren't communicating so the SE Dashboard shows 0% output.

The last couple pages of the big thread linked above talk about monitoring, and multiple people here have gotten access to that data with tesla installs.

I suspect, if you are asking tesla, you might be asking the wrong person / group.

Technically, they have "given me access" by providing the SE login. It's just that the dashboard shows nothing from the panels, and 3 different calls to Tesla resulted in the same answer - they don't support the SE Dashboard or lack of data there.

Is there any way for me to actually check the status of my panels or get notified if one goes down?

Apparently not from everything I have read.
I do not have a Tesla system but i have several Solaredge systems and I rarely look at that detail. I do track the overall totals. My next system may be a Tesla system and I have already come to terms with that lack of detail. I have enough tools to see if the system output is performing adequately. I may oversize the next system so if there is some delay in Tesla fixing a bad panel or two it won't matter. By the time I do a new system they will have evolved away from Solaredge altogether so it will be a moot point.

Technically, they have "given me access" by providing the SE login. It's just that the dashboard shows nothing from the panels, and 3 different calls to Tesla resulted in the same answer - they don't support the SE Dashboard or lack of data there.

How is your solar edge inverter connected to the network? Are you using teslas little black box solar gateway or did you connect it via ethernet cable?

As I mentioned I dont have a solar edge inverter, but also as I mentioned several people.... with tesla solar installs... have this data so its possible (evidence in the threads linked above). The data is somehow not getting from tesla to solar edge so I would start with however you have your inverter connected to the network.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out.

How is your solar edge inverter connected to the network? Are you using teslas little black box solar gateway or did you connect it via ethernet cable?

As I mentioned I dont have a solar edge inverter, but also as I mentioned several people.... with tesla solar installs... have this data so its possible (evidence in the threads linked above). The data is somehow not getting from tesla to solar edge so I would start with however you have your inverter connected to the network.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out.
Yes, using Tesla's Gateway. You mention connecting the inverter to the network - is that something I need to do manually?

Call SolarEdge customer support. When Tesla set me up with a SolarEdge monitoring account, they linked it with the wrong inverter. I was able to provide SolarEdge customer support with my inverter's serial number and data started appearing on the dashboard within the hour.